• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Man in the High Castle

Future

New Amazon show based on the novel by Phillip Dick (Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep was the premise for Blade Runner.

Really interesting, plowed through the whole thing in about 5 days. The setting - the U.S. if we lost WWII - is absolutely killer.

Anybody else watched it?

New Amazon show based on the novel by Phillip Dick (Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep was the premise for Blade Runner.

Really interesting, plowed through the whole thing in about 5 days. The setting - the U.S. if we lost WWII - is absolutely killer.

Anybody else watched it?

I watched the first 2 episodes, but honestly I didn't like it. Just wasn't enough there to hold me. Maybe I'll go back and watch it and see if it improves for me.

• 11 months later...
As in

As in Tagomi seeing the world as we know it? I thought that was kind of cool. It's supposed to be a science fiction show so it gives a bit more to work with in terms of how the films might be acquired.

I just think the whole alternate timelines thing is a cop out. It means there's no real consequences for any character. The show would be - and to me, was - a lot more interesting when the setting is that the allies lost WWII. The silly little game of "what timeline is real" doesn't add anything to the show. It takes a brilliant setting and renders it no more important than a dream.

I guess it is possible that what develops in Season 2 kind of changes my opinion, but I find that "it was all a dream" endings are just really, really lazy.

I just think the whole alternate timelines thing is a cop out. It means there's no real consequences for any character. The show would be - and to me, was - a lot more interesting when the setting is that the allies lost WWII. The silly little game of "what timeline is real" doesn't add anything to the show. It takes a brilliant setting and renders it no more important than a dream.

I guess it is possible that what develops in Season 2 kind of changes my opinion, but I find that "it was all a dream" endings are just really, really lazy.

I think both story lines are really interesting (sci-fi and just the scenario of the allies losing) but I have to agree I started watching the show because I thought the main plot line was the latter and pet of me still wishes it was.

• 4 years later...
On 11/23/2016 at 1:40 PM, Future said:

Hide contents

Recall when the Japanese diplomat is listening to the Giants/Yankees World Series, was very annoyed. I bought into your alternative; if it's all ...a dream?...why should I care? 

Edited by Bugg

• 2 years later...

The first two seasons were great and the third season was ok.

The problem with the show is that it humanized Nazi's in a way that was completely unhealthy overall.  Some types of evil should remain pure evil.

This is not because the writers tried to humanize Nazi's.  It's because when you write good drama you have to come from human perspectives to make it really good and the writers did that.

• Phil changed the title to The Man in the High Castle
  • 4 months later...
On 11/17/2023 at 6:00 PM, Br4d said:

The first two seasons were great and the third season was ok.

The problem with the show is that it humanized Nazi's in a way that was completely unhealthy overall.  Some types of evil should remain pure evil.

This is not because the writers tried to humanize Nazi's.  It's because when you write good drama you have to come from human perspectives to make it really good and the writers did that.

You end up rooting for John Smith, the Nazi, because the actor playing him was someone you could empathize with......even though he sent his best friend to the concentration camp and killed millions.

I liked the plot/premise because it makes you think about the what-if's in life. 

What-if:

- Roosevelt was assassinated in the 30's, the US President kept us out of the European war and the Manhattan Project never got off the ground.

- What if Germany developed the bomb?

- What if the Japanese navy avoided / won Midway?

If Roosevelt was assassinated in the 30's there are  scenarios where President Lindbergh made deals and even treaties with Germany during the late 30's and effectively tried to "balance" out US foreign policy, which had favored the WWI allies for a generation.