Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 162

Thread: Rangers Could Add Buchnevich Late in Season; Graves, Drury Both Scouting in Russia

  1. #41
    Deleted Midget Division
    torontonyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    3,718
    Rep Power
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by Myusername View Post
    Are you talking about Pavel? He's certainly not as useless as Duclair without the puck.

    Speaking of Pavel, he now has 27 points in 35 games, which is tied for 1st on the team. The third leading scorer on his team? A whopping 14 points in 35 games. His team is truly bottom of the barrel. I think if he was playing on a contender there would a ton more talk about him.
    I can't say, I haven't seen him at a North American professional level, I'm only speculating.

  2. #42
    Deleted Midget Division
    torontonyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    3,718
    Rep Power
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by Myusername View Post
    Are you talking about Pavel? He's certainly not as useless as Duclair without the puck.

    Speaking of Pavel, he now has 27 points in 35 games, which is tied for 1st on the team. The third leading scorer on his team? A whopping 14 points in 35 games. His team is truly bottom of the barrel. I think if he was playing on a contender there would a ton more talk about him.
    That Wolski guy has like 34 points this season, more than a PPG. We should totally go after him too

    Teasing, obviously, but I don't put much stock in KHL stats.

  3. #43
    Senior Member Junior Division
    Myusername's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    7,518
    Rep Power
    35
    Wolksi is 29 and has 450 NHL games under his belt. I know you're kidding, but not really comparable. We're talking about a 20 year old here leading his team in scoring. The KHL is one of, if not the hardest league to put up points in because they don't award gratuitous secondary assists. That's especially true for young players, who hardly ever even make as much a dent on the scoreboard over there.

    I can't say that he's a sure first first liner to be, but this isn't some 19 year old lighting up the minors. He's playing amongst men and dominating.

  4. #44
    Deleted Midget Division
    torontonyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    3,718
    Rep Power
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by Myusername View Post
    Wolksi is 29 and has 450 NHL games under his belt. I know you're kidding, but not really comparable. We're talking about a 20 year old here leading his team in scoring. The KHL is one of, if not the hardest league to put up points in because they don't award gratuitous secondary assists. That's especially true for young players, who hardly ever even make as much a dent on the scoreboard over there.

    I can't say that he's a sure first first liner to be, but this isn't some 19 year old lighting up the minors. He's playing amongst men and dominating.
    Nigel Dawes. *note I'm partially kidding*

    Yes, I know it's non-comparable, but if all you need to be is a mediocre NHL'er with some experience, who's over the age of 25, to put up points - I just can't put that much stock into KHL stats. But that's just me.

    Sergei Mozyakin (no NHL games played, 30+ years of age) leads the league in points, Jan Kovar (No NHL games played, 25 years of age) is nearly PPG, Brandon Kozun (same as previous) is PPG. I'm not saying KHL numbers can't mean something, but it's clear that they don't necessarily reflect all-world talent.

    Also, the argument that Buch plays on a garbage team is rather soft, as well, as bad players can/do put up monster numbers by being the sole focus of the offense.

    Finishing up this post: I'm not a Buch hater, in fact, I want him to come into the roster and throw a duracell onto every player's back with his elite skill and phenomenal atheltisism... buuuuuut... let's be realistic.

  5. #45
    The Dolphin Whisperer BSBH Rookie
    Morphinity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    28,314
    Rep Power
    351
    Buchnevich gave an interview

    http://www.sports.ru/hockey/1035265548.html

    Translation:
    It was early for me to go to Rangers. Their team is always in the leaders, it's tough to make the team at this age. Now the scouts are coming, watching me. We'll see what they say. Whether they waiting for me or not. I want to make the team right away.

    And who wants to go to AHL? Why go to AHL? Many have gone but I don't want to be like them. If I went I'd probably also be sent to AHL and spent there the entire season.

    But I think KHL is stronger than AHL. I understand that it's unrealistic to get a one-way deal but the one we had last year had everything written up well. There was a date that if I don't make NHL before it I have an opportunity to go back to Europe or Russia - wherever I want.

    Anyway, there's a dream. In any event, you want to try yourself in the best league in the world, to prove you can play in NHL. It's much more interesting to play with the best rather than just play hockey and make money. You can always go back (to Russia).

  6. #46
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    81,377
    Rep Power
    359
    Can't blame him. There's far more money to be made in Europe or the KHL for a player of his caliber than there is on a two-way deal paying him less than $100K a year to play in the AHL. Especailly if the Rangers plan to keep him there all year.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

  7. #47
    a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    Respecttheblue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    N.Y.
    Posts
    9,307
    Rep Power
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphinity View Post
    Buchnevich gave an interview

    http://www.sports.ru/hockey/1035265548.html

    Translation:

    Guess maybe he doesn't yet get the part about learning the ins and outs, the banging and crashing of North American Pro hockey, and dues paying for that matter?

    I can't think of too many players aside from Henrik and Alex Ovechkin, and the amazing Kris Kreider of Boston >> NYR Playoffs fame, who did not have to "go through the process," at least for a bit, here, especially a forward -- but then my memory is probably not that good right now.
    If he's not willing to go through it, what message would that send to his teammates? I'd think he would have to be Elite with a Kapital E to bypass our system.

    Never say never I guess. Let's put it this way. If he's good enough to make that happen, it should be good for us...but hopefully not an "entitled" prima donna in the process.
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones
    Hidden Content

  8. #48
    I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    AmericanJesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19,351
    Rep Power
    320
    Quote Originally Posted by Respecttheblue View Post
    Guess maybe he doesn't yet get the part about learning the ins and outs, the banging and crashing of North American Pro hockey, and dues paying for that matter?

    I can't think of too many players aside from Henrik and Alex Ovechkin, and the amazing Kris Kreider of Boston >> NYR Playoffs fame, who did not have to "go through the process," at least for a bit, here, especially a forward -- but then my memory is probably not that good right now.
    If he's not willing to go through it, what message would that send to his teammates? I'd think he would have to be Elite with a Kapital E to bypass our system.

    Never say never I guess. Let's put it this way. If he's good enough to make that happen, it should be good for us...but hopefully not an "entitled" prima donna in the process.
    Stepan made the jump right away. Hayes too.

  9. #49
    Former Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Cash or Czech?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    16,497
    Rep Power
    63
    Zuccarello took three seasons split between the NHL, AHL and KHL before he stuck. Lindberg was in the AHL for two full seasons before making the jump. Fast took a season and a month until he was with the big club full time. Those are the only three European players we've developed and have on our roster right now. Buchnevich's talent and skill levels are well above each of those three, IMO, but I think there will be a transition period. Whether that happens on the NYR 3rd line or in Hartford remains to be seen.

  10. #50
    Formerly Richter Redux Midget Division
    Ranger Lothbrok's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    4,480
    Rep Power
    106
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanJesus View Post
    Stepan made the jump right away. Hayes too.
    Yeah, playing on a North American sized ice rink in a NCAA game that's catered toward team preparation. Buchnevich is going to be in for a bit of a shock if he expects to jump to the NHL and have as much time and space as he normally does. The players are bigger, the ice is smaller. It's bad, IMO, if he thinks he can skip the AHL entirely. That's somebody who wants to be a star, not a teammate.

  11. #51
    Let's talk about stickers Junior Division
    TwoMinutesForNothing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    6,787
    Rep Power
    60
    Well he's gonna have to make the jump right away, otherwise he isn't going to come.

  12. #52
    Resident Garbage Clown BSBH Prospect
    Dunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,711
    Rep Power
    184
    The "North American Game" doesn't exist anymore. It's a non-factor.

  13. #53
    Let's talk about stickers Junior Division
    TwoMinutesForNothing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    6,787
    Rep Power
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    The "North American Game" doesn't exist anymore. It's a non-factor.
    Yeah, hockey is pretty soft everywhere now. The AHL plays a closer version to the old school "American game" than the NHL does.

  14. #54
    Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    74,851
    Rep Power
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    The "North American Game" doesn't exist anymore. It's a non-factor.
    Dunno about that. The smaller Rink is a huge factor. Ask Radulov.

  15. #55
    Deleted Midget Division
    torontonyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    3,718
    Rep Power
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Dunno about that. The smaller Rink is a huge factor. Ask Radulov.
    Agreed. It's not a 'soft' issue, it's a timing/space issue.

  16. #56
    Resident Garbage Clown BSBH Prospect
    Dunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,711
    Rep Power
    184
    Yeah, for about a week.

  17. #57
    Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    74,851
    Rep Power
    438
    Or 3 years if you're Zuccarello and Lindberg. 2 years if you're Fast. Etc.

  18. #58
    Deleted Midget Division
    torontonyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    3,718
    Rep Power
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Or 3 years if you're Zuccarello and Lindberg. 2 years if you're Fast. Etc.
    The only advantage he might have over a Zuccarello is that he's essentially, from what I've seen, a Duclair-like trigger man. Other than that, I agree that we'll probably looking at relatively lengthy adjustment.

  19. #59
    Resident Garbage Clown BSBH Prospect
    Dunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,711
    Rep Power
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Or 3 years if you're Zuccarello and Lindberg. 2 years if you're Fast. Etc.
    So the biggest factor in their development was the size of the ice, not that Zucc is 5'4"? Or that Fast and Lindberg aren't really the type of guys to make immediate impacts in any situation? How did Toews figure it out so fat after playing all those years on Olympic Ice @ Notre Dame?

  20. #60
    Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    74,851
    Rep Power
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    So the biggest factor in their development was the size of the ice, not that Zucc is 5'4"? Or that Fast and Lindberg aren't really the type of guys to make immediate impacts in any situation? How did Toews figure it out so fat after playing all those years on Olympic Ice @ Notre Dame?
    Probably for the same reasons he was third overall and not a third rounder?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •