• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Quick Meals for Busy Folks

Dave

Pete, Phil and I were discussing ways to prep out meals for the week since we're all busy with small children. Here is a site I found that has some pretty simple freezer to crock pot meals that my wife and I have been using:

http://www.thirtyhandmadedays.com/2015/08/31-crockpot-freezer-meals-for-busy-weeknights/

If any one else has recipes, sites or other ideas for people who need easy to make but still nutritious meals, share them here.

Wife and I do crock pot meals all the time to either freeze and eat later or to basically feed us for the week. She's gathering up her recipes now. Will post soon.

We do this as well. Do you use the bags for it? They make bags that you put in the crock pot first, and then put all of the ingredients in, and it makes clean up so easy. We have been using them for a couple of year, I didn't know that a lot of people who have the crock pot know about the bags for it. We do pulled pork, ribs, chicken. We also buy those McCormick packets as well, they have the recipes on them as well.

We do this as well. Do you use the bags for it? They make bags that you put in the crock pot first, and then put all of the ingredients in, and it makes clean up so easy. We have been using them for a couple of year, I didn't know that a lot of people who have the crock pot know about the bags for it. We do pulled pork, ribs, chicken. We also buy those McCormick packets as well, they have the recipes on them as well.

No, I've never heard of that!

Now I need to look into this.

No, I've never heard of that!

Now I need to look into this.

Its awesome. We prepare the crock pot the night before and put it in the fridge. With the bag, it prevents everything from sticking to the sides. I didn't find out until the other day how many people didn't know about it, its a life saver.

Wife and I do crock pot meals all the time to either freeze and eat later or to basically feed us for the week. She's gathering up her recipes now. Will post soon.

Do you cook them then freeze/refridgerate them? Or freeze then cook?

Do you cook them then freeze/refridgerate them? Or freeze then cook?

Cook then freeze or refrigerate, yes. For chicken soup, for example, you cook it all minus the noodles. Then you cook noodles al dente before reheating the thawed soup later on in the microwave.

Wife says she's typing up the recipes still. I'll post soon.

Cook then freeze or refrigerate, yes. For chicken soup, for example, you cook it all minus the noodles. Then you cook noodles al dente before reheating the thawed soup later on in the microwave.

Wife says she's typing up the recipes still. I'll post soon.

Ok, so the ones I shared that we've been doing, you basically prep out and put in the bag raw and freeze, then put in the crock pot in the morning and let cook while you work. So you're not cooking then reheating.

Slow Cooked Chili (Turkey, Beef or Lentils)

Ingredients:

2 pounds ground turkey meat OR beef (Can be substituted with ? cup kidney beans and/or 1 package seasoned lentils [found in International/Indian section] for veggie chili)

1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained

1 (16 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained

2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained

1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce

1 small onion, chopped

2-4 cloves garlic, minced

1+ teaspoon crushed pepper flakes (more or less for desired heat)

2 tablespoons chili powder

2 teaspoons salt

1 teaspoon pepper

Directions:

Add all ingredients except the meat to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4 hours. An hour before meal is ready, cook meat in a skillet on medium heat. Drain, transfer to slow cooker and continue cooking. (May cook and add meat earlier if desired)

White Chicken Chili

Ingredients:

1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced into 1/2-inch pieces

1 small yellow onion, diced

1 tbsp olive oil

2-4 cloves garlic, finely minced (I use 4)

2 (14.5 oz) cans chicken broth

1 (4 oz) can diced green chilies

1 1/2 tsp cumin

3/4 tsp paprika

1/2 tsp dried oregano

1/2 tsp ground coriander

1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

1 1/4 cup corn

2 (15 oz) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed

1 Tbsp lime juice

1 (8 oz) pkg Neufchatel cheese, cut into 12 slices (aka light cream cheese)

Chopped fresh cilantro, for serving

Shredded Monterrey Jack cheese, for serving

Tortilla chips, for serving (optional)

Directions:

Add all ingredients listed from chicken to salt and pepper into your slow cooker (saving the rest of the ingredients for later). Cook on high for 4-6 hours (when chicken is fully cooked and begins to tear apart easily). Add the ingredients listed from corn to lime juice 30 minutes-hour before cooking is complete. Reduce heat, add Neufchatel cheese and stir occasionally until cheese is fully melted into the broth. Add more salt and pepper to taste if desired. Serve with fresh cilantro and shredded Monterrey Jack cheese sprinkled over the top. We like to eat some of our chili with tortilla chips to scoop it up!

Chicken Noodle Soup

Ingredients:

1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts

5 medium carrots, peeled and chopped

1 medium yellow onion, chopped

4 stalks celery, chopped

3 - 5 cloves garlic, minced

3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil

6 cups low-sodium chicken broth (3 - 15 oz cans)

1 cup water

3/4 tsp dried thyme

1/4 tsp celery seed, finely crushed*

2 bay leaves

2 cups uncooked pasta (whatever kind you prefer)

1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice

Saltine crackers or parmesan cheese, for serving (optional)

Directions:

Add chicken, diced carrots, onion, celery, and garlic to slow cooker. Drizzle olive oil over top then add in chicken broth, water, thyme,, celery seed, bay leaves and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and cook on low heat 6 - 7 hours or high for 4. Chicken will be fully cooked and will be easy to shred. Pull apart/shred chicken and add parsley. At this time, you can add your uncooked pasta to the slow cooker if you do not intend on storing the soup or freezing it (pasta will continue to get soft if in the broth and continuously reheated). I prefer to cook my pasta al dente, store it separately and add to the soup as we reheat it each time. If adding pasta to slow cooker, cook for an additional 10 minutes or until pasta is tender. Stir in lemon juice. Serve with saltine crackers or top with Parmesan cheese if desired.

Beef Stew:

Ingredients:

No-Stick Cooking Spray

2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces

1/4 cup all purpose flour

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

1 cup chopped yellow onion

3 carrots, cleaned and sliced on a diagonal

2 bay leaves

1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes

1 (14.5 ounce) can beef broth

6 potatoes, peeled and quartered

2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Directions:

Lightly spray bottom of slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray. Combine flour, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Toss meat into the flour mixture until meat is coated evenly. Add coated meat and remaining flour mixture to the slow cooker. Add onions, carrots, bay leaves, Worcestershire sauce, tomatoes, broth and potatoes. Mix to combine ingredients.

Cover and cook on LOW 8 to 10 hours or on HIGH 5 to 6 hours (until meat is fork-tender). Remove bay leaves. Add chopped parsley, stir. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve.

Ok, so the ones I shared that we've been doing, you basically prep out and put in the bag raw and freeze, then put in the crock pot in the morning and let cook while you work. So you're not cooking then reheating.

Good to know. Thanks.

For the record, all the above recipes from my wife are the same. They're just large quantities so you can re-heat for leftovers for at least another day, if not two or three. Sometimes, depending on what's made (white chicken chili, for example), we can make it last four days before we go into the next meal.

Its perfectly safe. Ive used them for about 20 years.

Same here. Many leave plenty of stuff plugged in and drawing electricity all the time, cable box, computer, alarm clocks, etc. All have some risk of shorting out but even then, there are all sorts of safety features built in and via your fuse box to prevent incidents.

This is a great thread. My wife and I do this a lot too. Prep 3 or 4 meals and freeze them raw in ziplocks. When we decide what we're going to eat on a given night we defrost said meal in the fridge the day prior to cooking it that way its ready to start cooking in the morning. We try not to do this on days we are both working all day just for safety reasons but sometimes its just inevitable. We have used the pot liners before and they definitely help with clean up. I'll post up some of our recipes too when I get a chance.

I second this. Crock pot is amazing

Very simple too. Even if you don't feel like doing a particularly interesting recipe.

Chicken thighs. Onions. Bbq sauce and whatever seasoning you want. Will fill up a big Tupperware with pulled chicken that you can serve over rice or in a burrito or whatever you want. Will last you a few days at least

I like to put corn starch in when I crockpot just to keep whatever sauce I use from getting too watery

Slow Cooked Chili (Turkey, Beef or Lentils)

Ingredients:

2 pounds ground turkey meat OR beef (Can be substituted with ? cup kidney beans and/or 1 package seasoned lentils [found in International/Indian section] for veggie chili)

1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained

1 (16 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained

2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained

1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce

1 small onion, chopped

2-4 cloves garlic, minced

1+ teaspoon crushed pepper flakes (more or less for desired heat)

2 tablespoons chili powder

2 teaspoons salt

1 teaspoon pepper

Directions:

Add all ingredients except the meat to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4 hours. An hour before meal is ready, cook meat in a skillet on medium heat. Drain, transfer to slow cooker and continue cooking. (May cook and add meat earlier if desired)

White Chicken Chili

Ingredients:

1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced into 1/2-inch pieces

1 small yellow onion, diced

1 tbsp olive oil

2-4 cloves garlic, finely minced (I use 4)

2 (14.5 oz) cans chicken broth

1 (4 oz) can diced green chilies

1 1/2 tsp cumin

3/4 tsp paprika

1/2 tsp dried oregano

1/2 tsp ground coriander

1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

1 1/4 cup corn

2 (15 oz) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed

1 Tbsp lime juice

1 (8 oz) pkg Neufchatel cheese, cut into 12 slices (aka light cream cheese)

Chopped fresh cilantro, for serving

Shredded Monterrey Jack cheese, for serving

Tortilla chips, for serving (optional)

Directions:

Add all ingredients listed from chicken to salt and pepper into your slow cooker (saving the rest of the ingredients for later). Cook on high for 4-6 hours (when chicken is fully cooked and begins to tear apart easily). Add the ingredients listed from corn to lime juice 30 minutes-hour before cooking is complete. Reduce heat, add Neufchatel cheese and stir occasionally until cheese is fully melted into the broth. Add more salt and pepper to taste if desired. Serve with fresh cilantro and shredded Monterrey Jack cheese sprinkled over the top. We like to eat some of our chili with tortilla chips to scoop it up!

Chicken Noodle Soup

Ingredients:

1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts

5 medium carrots, peeled and chopped

1 medium yellow onion, chopped

4 stalks celery, chopped

3 - 5 cloves garlic, minced

3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil

6 cups low-sodium chicken broth (3 - 15 oz cans)

1 cup water

3/4 tsp dried thyme

1/4 tsp celery seed, finely crushed*

2 bay leaves

2 cups uncooked pasta (whatever kind you prefer)

1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice

Saltine crackers or parmesan cheese, for serving (optional)

Directions:

Add chicken, diced carrots, onion, celery, and garlic to slow cooker. Drizzle olive oil over top then add in chicken broth, water, thyme,, celery seed, bay leaves and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and cook on low heat 6 - 7 hours or high for 4. Chicken will be fully cooked and will be easy to shred. Pull apart/shred chicken and add parsley. At this time, you can add your uncooked pasta to the slow cooker if you do not intend on storing the soup or freezing it (pasta will continue to get soft if in the broth and continuously reheated). I prefer to cook my pasta al dente, store it separately and add to the soup as we reheat it each time. If adding pasta to slow cooker, cook for an additional 10 minutes or until pasta is tender. Stir in lemon juice. Serve with saltine crackers or top with Parmesan cheese if desired.

Beef Stew:

Ingredients:

No-Stick Cooking Spray

2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces

1/4 cup all purpose flour

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

1 cup chopped yellow onion

3 carrots, cleaned and sliced on a diagonal

2 bay leaves

1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes

1 (14.5 ounce) can beef broth

6 potatoes, peeled and quartered

2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Directions:

Lightly spray bottom of slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray. Combine flour, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Toss meat into the flour mixture until meat is coated evenly. Add coated meat and remaining flour mixture to the slow cooker. Add onions, carrots, bay leaves, Worcestershire sauce, tomatoes, broth and potatoes. Mix to combine ingredients.

Cover and cook on LOW 8 to 10 hours or on HIGH 5 to 6 hours (until meat is fork-tender). Remove bay leaves. Add chopped parsley, stir. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve.

The White Chicken Chili is awesome, we have made that. We also do pulled pork, it comes out awesome.

I just can't bring myself to trust the crock pot all day while no one is home.

We are like this too. My wife will either cook it sunday, or she will cook it the night before and put it in the fridge so it just has to be reheated. I don't trust leaving hot things on while Im not home.

The White Chicken Chili is awesome, we have made that. We also do pulled pork, it comes out awesome.

Yeah, we've done pulled pork for tacos in it. Forgot to ask for that recipe.

Glad you liked the white chicken chili. It's my favorite too.

Archived