• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Snapple Fact #27

Albatrosss

This principle is why I never bought that Sosa was trying to cheat with the corked bat, and believe him when he says he only used it for batting practice. Or if he did use it intentionally, then no one informed him that it would have the opposite effect. If he really wanted it to have the desired effect, he shouldve put a metal rod in it instead of cork.

Yep, you don't put heavy metal in it. The whole point is to make the bat lighter.

Unless you're a power hitter and want to increase the probability the ball you hit travels farther. The force increase may counteract whatever speed you lose by swinging slower, but I'm not a physicist so I dont know for sure.

There's a mythbusters episode where they test out a corked bat and find it was no benefits over a regular bat, despite being lighter. You swing faster but the ball still doesn't travel as far because the cork absorbs so much of the kinetic energy. He likely meant to use it in BP to practice swinging harder, knowing he would have to with the cork to make it go anywhere.

Unless you're a power hitter and want to increase the probability the ball you hit travels farther. The force increase may counteract whatever speed you lose by swinging slower, but I'm not a physicist so I dont know for sure.

Right, but there's still an advantage to just making contact with the ball. An hitter with power wants to make contact with as many pitches as possible. So Sammy didn't use a corked bat to hit the ball farther (he used steroids for that), but the corked bat helped him make contact with more pitches (theoretically).

http://www.acs.psu.edu/drussell/bats/corkedbat.html

• A corked bat has (slightly) less mass. By drilling out the center of a wood bat and replacing it with cork a player can shave about 1.5 ounces off of the weight of his bat. More importantly, the location of the center-of-mass of the bat would shift slightly towards the handle end of the bat. This means that the moment of inertia of the bat would decrease and it would be easier to swing.
  • Less mass (lower inertia) means faster swing speed. A bat which has less mass, and especially which has a lower moment of inertia, may be swung faster. 1.5oz may not do much for an amateur player, but for a professional it means being able to watch the ball travel an additional 5-6 feet before having to commit to a swing. Plus, research has shown that faster bat swing speed results in faster batted-ball speed, though the change in ball speed would be minimal for most players. The moment of inertia could also be effectively lowered by choking up on the bat, by using a shorter bat, or by shaving some wood off of the handle, all of which are legal methods of reducing bat mass.
  • Less mass means a less effective collision. Lowering the mass (and moment-of-inertia) may increase the bat swing speed, but the lower mass means that the collision between bat and ball is less effective. If the swing speed is kept constant, a heavier bat will always propel the ball faster and farther. So removing mass from the bat will actually reduce the batted-ball speed.
  • No scientific advantage? Reducing the mass (lowering the moment-of-inertia) increases the swing speed - which increases batted-ball speed. But at the same time the lower mass reduces the effectiveness of the collision - which decreases the batted-ball speed. Which effect is greater is a toss-up. But since the two effects offset eachother, there appears to be absolutely no scientific advantage to using a corked bat - at least for hitting home runs. There would be an advantage to just making contact, however. Because the bat is lighter and can be swung faster, a player can wait a few milleseconds longer before commiting to a swing. This means he can watch the pitched ball travel about 5 or 6 more feet before deciding to swing. For a slumping player this may help make contact with the ball more often. But, a corked bat will not make the ball go faster or further.

Unless you're a power hitter and want to increase the probability the ball you hit travels farther. The force increase may counteract whatever speed you lose by swinging slower' date=' but I'm not a physicist so I dont know for sure. There's a mythbusters episode where they test out a corked bat and find it was no benefits over a regular bat, despite being lighter. You swing faster but the ball still doesn't travel as far because the cork absorbs so much of the kinetic energy. He likely meant to use it in BP to practice swinging harder, knowing he would have to with the cork to make it go anywhere.[/quote']

It still doesn't make sense, why would he want to make the bat heavier?

Power hitters in the past were known to have the heaviest, biggest bats. It makes sense because you can put more mass behind the ball, and most power hitters have the ability to swing the heavier lumber. It's why when their bat speed slows down, they can't produce the same way the used to. Even going to a lighter bat under this theory wouldn't get them back to their former power numbers.

Archived