• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Hey Deer Hunters?

skunkman

If you have one tag and take that buck opening day, you'll have nothing to do but freeze your ass off and get incredibly drunk all week. You'd know best though, where I live that guy would be a nice Buck...

Between regular tags and land owners tags and bonus tags I can get four deer total as can my son and my dad. I still dunno I might let him pass since i got my wall hanger two years ago. Last year I made the mistake of dropping two huge doe opening day, with the gals gone nothing to draw the boys in. Yes I use the meat and also donate some to the needy. Don't feel too bad for the buggers, they destroy a hell of a lot of my corn all year long.

Not to get political, but do you eat the meat? I couldn't see myself killing anything I wasn't using.

I'm pretty sure Skunkman would eat what he killed out there in Nebraska (?).

Most — but not all by any means — guys I communicate with who live out in the country eat what they kill (They have big freezers too.), and there's more of an inclination toward self sufficiency among them in that regard. It's just not so common in the metro area. Another farmer I communicate with has the same issues with his corn, which is his livelihood.

I had venison — or to call it what it is, deer meat — last time I was back home. But if I shot Bambi or in this case Bambo, the wife would do me in. Plus I would be lousy at butchering the poor critter.

No, too young and skinny. Nice looking creature, reminds me of my dog but with longer legs and horns.

Skunk is there such a thing as a shotgun that's good for both deer and waterfowl?

sure! For waterfowl you get regular shotgun shells with bb shots in them for deer you get the shotgun shells with slugs in them. 10 guage and 12 guage shotguns for sure would work I'm not sure about a 20 guage.

I'm pretty sure Skunkman would eat what he killed out there in Nebraska (?).

Most — but not all by any means — guys I communicate with who live out in the country eat what they kill (They have big freezers too.), and there's more of an inclination toward self sufficiency among them in that regard. It's just not so common in the metro area. Another farmer I communicate with has the same issues with his corn, which is his livelihood.

I had venison — or to call it what it is, deer meat — last time I was back home. But if I shot Bambi or in this case Bambo, the wife would do me in. Plus I would be lousy at butchering the poor critter.

I guess the disconnect, for me (no judgement at all), is that I can't imagine the joy in killing another living thing for anything but necessity.

I guess the disconnect, for me (no judgement at all), is that I can't imagine the joy in killing another living thing for anything but necessity.

I sure never said anything about joy. All I had in mind was a neutral approach — those who do their own slaughtering and meat processing versus paying the livestock raising companies and meat processors, distributors, and supermarkets — and/or necessity. I hope you are making good pay and you will never have to think about such a thing in retirement.

I don't eat that much meat anyway, and I'd lean toward vegetarianism if I intrinsically felt it was what my body was asking for, but that's not happening right now at least. On a personal note, I even have a hard time killing a spider -- I'm the kind of guy who will try and trap a bug and take it outside, unless it's a mosquito, was or a pest that is posing and infestation threat.

On that note, if there is anyone here who is interested in gourmet garlic roasted or dried camel crickets I might be willing to become a supplier for the right price, these buggers are a P.I.T.A.

http://www.insectsarefood.com/recipes.html

http://www.yourwildlife.org/2014/09/citizen-scientists-make-important-discovery-about-camel-crickets/

My answer is yes...I've hunted two years now and only taken two shots, almost all the deer I see are out of my range...they just opened up our county/region to rifle shooting and my shotgun at 100+ yards is just out of my range. I would take it down, me and my father in law both have our buck tag each as well as two doe permits each. I love the meat and since we aren't a very well off family being able to save money on meat for a while really helps.

edit: my shotgun is a 20g i can get waterfowl shells or big game shells of the same gauge.

I guess the disconnect' date=' for me (no judgement at all), is that I can't imagine the joy in killing another living thing for anything but necessity.[/quote']

I understand your point here, I'm inherently a animal lover. And have zero patience with trophy hunters.

That being said

- typical kill for a hunt is much more humane for a older animal than letting nature take its course

- if you've spent any time researching the handling of animals in regards to process food (what we typically purchase at stores)....hinting would be the least of your concerns

- not a big fan of deer meet at all, but the moose we take replaces most of our hamburger from cows

I sure never said anything about joy. All I had in mind was a neutral approach — those who do their own slaughtering and meat processing versus paying the livestock raising companies and meat processors, distributors, and supermarkets — and/or necessity. I hope you are making good pay and you will never have to think about such a thing in retirement.

I don't eat that much meat anyway, and I'd lean toward vegetarianism if I intrinsically felt it was what my body was asking for, but that's not happening right now at least. On a personal note, I even have a hard time killing a spider -- I'm the kind of guy who will try and trap a bug and take it outside, unless it's a mosquito, was or a pest that is posing and infestation threat.

On that note, if there is anyone here who is interested in gourmet garlic roasted or dried camel crickets I might be willing to become a supplier for the right price, these buggers are a P.I.T.A.

http://www.insectsarefood.com/recipes.html

http://www.yourwildlife.org/2014/09/citizen-scientists-make-important-discovery-about-camel-crickets/

I'm not trying to put words in your mouth. But, I imagine that if you're spending your free-time hunting, one would probably enjoy it. I wasn't making direct commentary on anything you do particularly.

I understand your point here, I'm inherently a animal lover. And have zero patience with trophy hunters.

That being said

- typical kill for a hunt is much more humane for a older animal than letting nature take its course

- if you've spent any time researching the handling of animals in regards to process food (what we typically purchase at stores)....hinting would be the least of your concerns

- not a big fan of deer meet at all, but the moose we take replaces most of our hamburger from cows

- I can see that

- I know.. I have. I've read several books on it, and it bothers me. I *try* to buy Kosher or Halal where possible, to know that things are done humanely. I'm a city boy, but my family had a farm for decades and I know how the process should be. Factory farming is the worst.

- Not a fan of Deer meat either, tbh, and I eat *everything*.

Anyways, I don't hunt, I'm not a huge venison fan, but I know the guys that hunt eat all the meat even if they just turn it into pepperoni. The thing with hunting, especially deer, is it just seems like a huge reason to have a week long piss up at the expense of some Deer.

- I can see that

- I know.. I have. I've read several books on it, and it bothers me. I *try* to buy Kosher or Halal where possible, to know that things are done humanely. I'm a city boy, but my family had a farm for decades and I know how the process should be. Factory farming is the worst.

- Not a fan of Deer meat either, tbh, and I eat *everything*.

Factory farming is not the worst! We keep the animals healthy and warm and dry year round! Not out side getting sun burnt or freezing in the winter. Ever see a free range chicken get chased down by the other chickens because it has an open sore thus the others peck it to death? Ever see pigs turn on a sick pig and beat it to death just because they sense something wrong with it? Bottom line is if you eat anything , you do have to kill it first. Now are some factory farm wrong? maybe, but not mine! I still love and care for my animals. Don't even get me started on the shit that they call organic and brainwash you all into thinking it is better for you!

Anyways, I don't hunt, I'm not a huge venison fan, but I know the guys that hunt eat all the meat even if they just turn it into pepperoni. The thing with hunting, especially deer, is it just seems like a huge reason to have a week long piss up at the expense of some Deer.

LOL! To some hunters, maybe, but the deer do do a lot of damage to my farm so I also do a service.

90% of factory farming is the worst.

You're in the minority.

Free range chickens going after other chickens is NORMAL.

Pigs getting hit with bowling balls and chickens getting their beaks ground off to stop them from pecking is not.

Don't get me started on veal.

I don't want cheap food and I don't care if my food gets killed. I care that it's not abused and killed humanely. I am willing and do pay a premium for that. Since it's expensive I mostly eat beans, quinoa and tofu. Not because I I am anti meat. I'm just anti mistreatment.

Didn't mean to hijack your thread though.

You're in the minority.

Pigs getting hit with bowling balls and chickens getting their beaks ground off to stop them from pecking is not.

I don't want cheap food and I don't care if my food gets killed. I care that it's not abused and killed humanely. I am willing and do pay a premium for that. Since it's expensive I mostly eat beans, quinoa and tofu. Not because I I am anti meat. I'm just anti mistreatment.

One thing we agree on pete!

Veal is very very wrong!

You're in the minority.

Why would you hit a pig with a bowling ball? They should be locked up! Never heard of that, so you think all pig farms have bowling balls?

Why would you hit a pig with a bowling ball? They should be locked up! Never heard of that, so you think all pig farms have bowling balls?

Nope, didn't say that at all. Some don't mistreat their livestock. Unfortunately, they are the minority.

Here's some video of factory farming where it happens.

Archived