• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

What are the options for Cord Cutters for MSG / NY Rangers Viewing?

Respecttheblue

Just curious, maybe some of you in the NY Metro area are doing this already ? what are the options for Cord Cutters for MSG / NY Rangers Viewing?

Budget is uber tight and I'm sick of being gouged for $150 a month each time the Cablevision or FIOS contract runs out.

in reality it still may not be cost effective to cut the cord (after all there's possibly HGTV and Golf Channel that would need to be purchased to keep the wife happy) Yep you heard that right -- Golf for the wife! ? But I'd like to explore the options.

I'd probably kill the monthly phone change and xfer the line to Virgin Mobile cellie for the wife who currently has none.

I don't get cable, I buy GameCenter Live to stream through my xbox one. I pay an additional $5/month for a VPN that lets me trick GCL into thinking I'm in Saudi Arabia and I avoid all blackouts.

Hockeystreams is apparently awesome (cheaper, gives you free agent frenzy, trade deadline coverage, and AHL and CHL games) but I think you need to download extra programs to stream it to other devices. Not something I want to do.

GCL also is allowing you to just buy one team, but it's not that much cheaper than the full package. worth it to just pay the whole thing

If you don't mind the radio broadcast, get the XM app/online stream, and you can listen to every Rangers game through their home feed. If you have an XM account, its only $20 a year extra for the app/on line feed, and it has extra channels on them. I just upgraded to it a couple of months ago, and its awesome at work now when I can't watch there.

I don't get cable, I buy GameCenter Live to stream through my xbox one. I pay an additional $5/month for a VPN that lets me trick GCL into thinking I'm in Saudi Arabia and I avoid all blackouts.

Hockeystreams is apparently awesome (cheaper, gives you free agent frenzy, trade deadline coverage, and AHL and CHL games) but I think you need to download extra programs to stream it to other devices. Not something I want to do.

GCL also is allowing you to just buy one team, but it's not that much cheaper than the full package. worth it to just pay the whole thing

Would you mind letting me know or PMing me the VPN service you use and how their quality is?

1) Purchase an internet connection from your favorite (only) option in your area.

2) Either buy NHL Gamecenter or buy a subscription to hockeystreams.com

• 2a) Gamecenter is completely legal, great quality, but you will be not able to watch roughly 15-20 games because they'll be blacked out as nationally broadcast games and you won't be able to watch the playoffs (beyond the first round, I believe), assuming the Rangers make the playoffs. You can get a VPN, as mentioned above, but that's just another thing to pay for and another method of watching. Also, it complicates matters greatly if you want to use a Chromecast.
  • 2b) Hockeysteams is great! But slightly illegal... You won't get arrested or anything, but you might lose your money if they happen to get shut down (though they've been up and running for a few years now.) It's cheaper than Gamecenter, you get every NHL game no matter what. Quality is great. If you have a Chromecast (if you don't, get one) then you can just cast games to your TV, but they also have a method of viewing on every single device you can think of. If you have any issues getting it streaming on other devices work, they have good guides, but I can personally vouch that their service is exceptional.

3) Watch hockey

1) Purchase an internet connection from your favorite (only) option in your area.

• 2a) Gamecenter is completely legal, great quality, but you will be not able to watch roughly 15-20 games because they'll be blacked out as nationally broadcast games and you won't be able to watch the playoffs (beyond the first round, I believe), assuming the Rangers make the playoffs. You can get a VPN, as mentioned above, but that's just another thing to pay for and another method of watching. Also, it complicates matters greatly if you want to use a Chromecast.
  • 2b) Hockeysteams is great! But slightly illegal... You won't get arrested or anything, but you might lose your money if they happen to get shut down (though they've been up and running for a few years now.) It's cheaper than Gamecenter, you get every NHL game no matter what. Quality is great. If you have a Chromecast (if you don't, get one) then you can just cast games to your TV, but they also have a method of viewing on every single device you can think of. If you have any issues getting it streaming on other devices work, they have good guides, but I can personally vouch that their service is exceptional.

3) Watch hockey

Thank you for the info. I'll check out hockeystreams, that's really interesting. I don't have a chromecast, but I have a smart TV and an xbox one, plus a tablet and iPhone. Nationally broadcast games aren't an issue, I have NBC Sports Live Extra built into my optimum account.

I wish the Rangers were on MSG Go. Then my problems would be solved.

Thank you for the info. I'll check out hockeystreams, that's really interesting. I don't have a chromecast, but I have a smart TV and an xbox one, plus a tablet and iPhone. Nationally broadcast games aren't an issue, I have NBC Sports Live Extra built into my optimum account.

I wish the Rangers were on MSG Go. Then my problems would be solved.

If you have access to NBC Sports Live Extra, then you'll only be unable to watch the handful of games that appear on NHL Network. The NHL blacks those out too.

Oh, I forgot to add that Gamecenter is on a 60-90 second delay. If you watch Hockeystreams in the browser, it's absolutely live (unless you're on a Chromecast, which is delayed for some reason).

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Now I got some head scratching and negotiating to do.

I'll buy you a tv, and pay 1/2 your bill if you stop watching games with your wife.

haha

she's a good critic sometimes. asks good "why" questions that I sometimes have to come to you guys to answer!

sometimes she's the one who should be posting, not me, lol

You don't wanna mess with her, it would be like having another Pete or Mikey!

I'll pay the other 1/2 just so we don't have to hear about it

She said "sure" tonight. ... cos there ain't shyte on TV on Thursdays

If you have access to NBC Sports Live Extra, then you'll only be unable to watch the handful of games that appear on NHL Network. The NHL blacks those out too.

Oh, I forgot to add that Gamecenter is on a 60-90 second delay. If you watch Hockeystreams in the browser, it's absolutely live (unless you're on a Chromecast, which is delayed for some reason).

Blackouts -- i fuggedded about blackouts -- life is too short for hockey blackouts when you absolutely have to watch.

----

Thanks again all, lots of ideas to work with there.

If you want legal than GCL is the way to go.

If you want something illegal, well...I don't know if they're still doing it, but a few years ago /r/hockey had VLC streams for each team as well as each different broadcast. It's since been moved over to /r/NHLStreams. There was even a playlist you could download that would give you the days games as they came up, but the script needs to be updated every so often, so its a pain. The stream is also ~1 min behind, but its quality is outstanding.

The biggest issue though is how many times the streams can go down. Turns out collecting all of the illegal streams in one place makes it really easy for the NHL to take them down. /r/NFLStreams is having the same issue, but on a bigger scale since they really give a shit about all of the streams.

• 3 weeks later...

3) Watch hockey

Just wondering if anyone knows why hockeystreams is not letting new customers sign up?

not entirely sure with regards to smart tvs. the GCL app though does have the chromecast symbol and goes to it. worth it in my opinion. Hockeystreams just seems sketchy, can probably be shutdown at any time, and requires you to download other programs if you aren't watching from a CPU (which I don't own anyway)

No it doesn't. You can use a Chromecast just like GameCenter.

No it doesn't. You can use a Chromecast just like GameCenter.

ah, well for me I'd be watching from my ipad or my Xbox One, and it has you download a different program and you have to have your cpu hooked up to your xbox to run it. Just seems more complicated. Not really trying to knock Hockeystreams, im sure everyone has had good experiences with it. I'd just prefer to pay a little more and be sure what I'm using is safe.

• 10 months later...

I was using the VPN for GameCenter but when it turned to NHL TV they started blocking VPNs so im not entirely sure what id do.

I was using Unblock-us before it got blocked, but according to reddit, Yonder.tv is still a viable VPN, although that was from a thread 6 months ago so I don't know which ones are still up.

If you have a chromecast, you can find a stream from your computer and cast it to your TV

Archived