• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Engagement rings and I have no idea what I'm doing

Fuhgeddaboudit

I was searching around a few jewelry stores for engagement rings because I am planning on proposing to my girlfriend of 3 years next year.

I knew diamonds were expensive, but not that expensive. I was budgeting myself to around $6k but the diamonds that have good clarity seem to hit the $7-$7,500 mark.

I know this starts the whole "diamonds are not valuable" and shit, but what can you do? This is apparently a woman's dream. So I've been told lol.

It depends on her sense of style. My wife actually wanted a smaller ring because it was more practical while doing simple everyday tasks for her. Whether it was working in her office typing, reading, or doing anything that she typically did. She didn't want a big ring. It is more important to find something for her that fits what she actually wants rather than just the biggest that fits your budget. A lot of times you can go under that budget by figuring that out and/or going with the route Rome is offering which makes a ton of sense.

as someone's who's only credit card (age 31, just got my first CC last year) is from kay's jewelers, i might be able to help you.

i fucking LOVE woman's jewelry - more gemstones, but diamonds fit that mold too, i suppose.

i'd sooner worry about the overall aesthetic of the ring.

white or yellow gold? neither? platinum?

how many stones? one big stone? or do you want surrounding diamonds? what about surrounding stones that aren't diamonds? perhaps her birthstone.

when it comes to the diamond itself, don't do any of the gimmicky shapes - get her a straight up round diamond cut.

know your four c's and while this is pretty subjective, when it comes to color, you don't want to buy a yellow diamond.

a smaller carat diamond that is white white white is much more desirable (at least to me) than a heavier yellow stone.

remember "white is right."

CUT is rather important as well beyond just the shape of the diamond. you want that shit to shimmer. badgalriri said it best, "shine bright like a diamond" and she wasn't talking about some shitty cut. you want something to pop.

and lastly, clarity - read up on this yourself.

and as a final note, the only other piece of advice i can offer - LEARN and ASK QUESTIONS.

go to as many jewelers as you fucking feel like. you should feel great about what you're doing; you don't want to buy your ring from a salesperson who isn't answering all of your questions, leaving you with more questions, or not catering to your needs.

pm if you wanna use my KREDIT AT KAY'S. jk.

HAVE FUN!

Honestly, I worked with my now fiancee to get something that she would like. The way I thought of it was this: she has to wear the damn thing for the rest of her life, so why would I take a shot in the dark and potentially get something she may or may not like?

I don't know anything about your relationship, but we had been talking about it for a while and I basically told her to eliminate things she hated and steer me towards thing she liked. From that I was able to have a ring made. She wanted a sapphire, not a diamond, which I would have not known had she not told me.

What kind of questions do you have though, because you don't seem to ask any in the OP.

Honestly, I worked with my now fiancee to get something that she would like. The way I thought of it was this: she has to wear the damn thing for the rest of her life, so why would I take a shot in the dark and potentially get something she may or may not like?

I don't know anything about your relationship, but we had been talking about it for a while and I basically told her to eliminate things she hated and steer me towards thing she liked. From that I was able to have a ring made. She wanted a sapphire, not a diamond, which I would have not known had she not told me.

What kind of questions do you have though, because you don't seem to ask any in the OP.

I actually understand the 4c's a little better. I guess my main question is should I sacrifice a little for what she loves? I can't seem to go any lower than $7,500 for a ring and that seems like a lot for me. I discussed this with her. I was going down on clarity but it seems like there were some black stuff in the diamond (can only see it with a microscope).

I think my issue is the overall price of the clarity and color we were looking at.

Details:

H color

VS1 Clarity

Cut: Excellent

0.93 - 1 karat round.

smart girl.

sapphires are a LOT more rare than diamonds.

you got her a real sapphire, not a lab created one, right?

i'll fucking ban you if you say no.

I actually understand the 4c's a little better. I guess my main question is should I sacrifice a little for what she loves? I can't seem to go any lower than $7,500 for a ring and that seems like a lot for me. I discussed this with her. I was going down on clarity but it seems like there were some black stuff in the diamond (can only see it with a microscope).

I think my issue is the overall price of the clarity and color we were looking at.

Details:

H color

VS1 Clarity

Cut: Excellent

0.93 - 1 karat round.

Then don't spend that much. Set a budget within your capabilities.

Don't put yourself behind the 8-ball if you can't afford it.

Did she specify to you that she wants a diamond with little to no flaws?

smart girl.

sapphires are a LOT more rare than diamonds.

you got her a real sapphire, not a lab created one, right?

i'll fucking ban you if you say no.

Real sapphire, bruh. I bought it from a reputable seller, I have the GIA certificate, and everything. It's a pink sapphire, very pale. It's a pretty big hit, honestly.

The band is 14K rose gold, the claws are white gold, those are 12 diamonds running up the side of it.

http://imgur.com/a/wmsP2

Then don't spend that much. Set a budget within your capabilities.

Don't put yourself behind the 8-ball if you can't afford it.

Did she specify to you that she wants a diamond with little to no flaws?

I think the color is given, keep it at white. I think the clarity we were going with little flaws...like a VS1 or VS2 which is lower than the flawless ones.

I think the color is given, keep it at white. I think the clarity we were going with little flaws...like a VS1 or VS2 which is lower than the flawless ones.

Alright, well you're all squared away in that department. If she said what she wants, then that's what she wants. But, on the other hand, if you can't afford it, you can't afford it.

I don't want to troll here, but why not buy a cheaper ring? I spent $1000 and my wife picked it out. If you're anything like we were, we needed a house down payment, money to pay for wedding, new breaks on the car, student debt etc etc etc neither of us could fathom buying a $5000 ring. Just thinking about it would make me break out in hives.

thanks for sharing dude.

i'm not a big fan of rose gold, but if that floats her boat, the more power to the both of you.

she now has a beautiful ring that's not your standard diamond. i like unique.

Thanks, I also like unique.

I would agree with you on the rose gold, but it really looks nice with the pink sapphire.

I don't want to troll here, but why not buy a cheaper ring? I spent $1000 and my wife picked it out. If you're anything like we were, we needed a house down payment, money to pay for wedding, new breaks on the car, student debt etc etc etc neither of us could fathom buying a $5000 ring. Just thinking about it would make me break out in hives.

Not trolling, good question. My girlfriend likes the traditional diamond. I've been to a few stores now and I can't seem to find anything around $1000 that isn't white diamond.

Not trolling, good question. My girlfriend likes the traditional diamond. I've been to a few stores now and I can't seem to find anything around $1000 that isn't white diamond.

Then maybe come down a bit on the size?

I mean here's a list from some Googling:

http://www.michaelcfina.com/DiamondList.html#eyJxdWVyeSI6eyJwcmljZSI6IlswIDU5NTAwMDAwXSIsImRpYW1vbmRfY2FyYXQiOiJbMCA3LjVdIiwiZGlhbW9uZF9jbGFyaXR5IjoiKFwiVlMxXCIgXCJWUzJcIikiLCJkaWFtb25kX2NvbG9yIjoiKFwiSFwiKSIsImRpYW1vbmRfY3V0IjoiKFwiRXhjZWxsZW50XCIpIn0sInF1ZXJ5X3NvcnQiOiJwcmljZSBhc2MiLCJjdXJfcGFnZSI6MSwicGVyX3BhZ2UiOjEwLCJzZWFyY2hfdGVybSI6bnVsbCwic3BlbGxjaGVja19xdWVyeSI6bnVsbH0=

You can mess with it for yourself. If you're set on VS1/2, white diamond, at .9k or so, then you are where you are. But you can save money if you introduce more flexibility.

Then maybe come down a bit on the size?

I mean here's a list from some Googling:

http://www.michaelcfina.com/DiamondList.html#eyJxdWVyeSI6eyJwcmljZSI6IlswIDU5NTAwMDAwXSIsImRpYW1vbmRfY2FyYXQiOiJbMCA3LjVdIiwiZGlhbW9uZF9jbGFyaXR5IjoiKFwiVlMxXCIgXCJWUzJcIikiLCJkaWFtb25kX2NvbG9yIjoiKFwiSFwiKSIsImRpYW1vbmRfY3V0IjoiKFwiRXhjZWxsZW50XCIpIn0sInF1ZXJ5X3NvcnQiOiJwcmljZSBhc2MiLCJjdXJfcGFnZSI6MSwicGVyX3BhZ2UiOjEwLCJzZWFyY2hfdGVybSI6bnVsbCwic3BlbGxjaGVja19xdWVyeSI6bnVsbH0=

You can mess with it for yourself. If you're set on VS1/2, white diamond, at .9k or so, then you are where you are. But you can save money if you introduce more flexibility.

that 0.70 is pretty good for price.

not everyone has a down to earth, rational woman, dunny.

my gf included.

Archived