• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Binge Watching

Dave

The Mrs. and I have been binge watching shows at night after the peanut goes to bed. We're just about out of stuff we wanted to see short of starting The Walking Dead, which we don't really have the commitment for right now.

Any recommendations to get us through till the Fall season gets into full swing? We have Netflix, HBO, Showtime and most normal cable channels. We're not big into animation. We've seen all the big named stuff, so it would need to be something lesser known.

We recently finished some of the Netflix originals, House of Cards, Orange is the New Black and Bloodline (which was surprisingly good for a show you don't hear too much about). I just downloaded Season 2 of Halt and Catch Fire from AMC's site because their software is so damn terrible to try to watch live. After that, we have nothing.

If you are looking for shorter-run stuff or shows that don't have numerous seasons you'd need to catch up on, I'd suggest checking out the following:

Show Me a Hero on HBO (a six-part mini-series about civil rights violations tearing apart Yonkers, N.Y. in the 1980s)

The Affair on Showtime (can't remember if you were watching this or not)

AMC's Better Call Saul (sidebar/prequel to Breaking Bad)

Marvel's Daredevil on Netflix (worth it for the performance of Vincent D'Onofrio as Kingpin alone)

and Vikings on History Channel (a historical re-telling of the Viking legend Ragnar Lothbrok told through beautiful imagery and cinematography). Though you may have difficulty finding the previous seasons. I'm not sure if History has an OnDemand service, or if they have deals with Netflix.

The Newsroom The Newsroom The Newsroom The Newsroom The Newsroom The Newsroom The Newsroom The Newsroom The Newsroom The Newsroom The Newsroom The Newsroom The Newsroom The Newsroom The Newsroom The Newsroom The Newsroom

He watched it already. He also said he watched all the "big name" stuff in the OP. The Newsroom was huge.

If you are looking for shorter-run stuff or shows that don't have numerous seasons you'd need to catch up on, I'd suggest checking out the following:

Show Me a Hero on HBO (a six-part mini-series about civil rights violations tearing apart Yonkers, N.Y. in the 1980s)

The Affair on Showtime (can't remember if you were watching this or not)

AMC's Better Call Saul (sidebar/prequel to Breaking Bad)

Marvel's Daredevil on Netflix (worth it for the performance of Vincent D'Onofrio as Kingpin alone)

and Vikings on History Channel (a historical re-telling of the Viking legend Ragnar Lothbrok told through beautiful imagery and cinematography). Though you may have difficulty finding the previous seasons. I'm not sure if History has an OnDemand service, or if they have deals with Netflix.

Saw The Affair and Better Call Saul. Will look into Show Me a Hero. We watch Agents of Shield but not sure I can talk her into another comic show. Maybe as a last resort.

He watched it already. He also said he watched all the "big name" stuff in the OP. The Newsroom was huge.

Yeah, the only two series that had major followings I didn't watch are The Walking Dead (yet) and Sons of Anarchy. Wife has no interest in SoA although I think I'd like it. It's also a lot of seasons. I'm hoping to find another diamond in the rough like Bloodlines was or Halt and Catch Fire has been so far.

Saw The Affair and Better Call Saul. Will look into Show Me a Hero. We watch Agents of Shield but not sure I can talk her into another comic show. Maybe as a last resort.

I don't watch AOS, but I can tell you that Daredevil isn't really all that comic-y. The Netflix rendition is more like an episodic action movie.

Yeah, the only two series that had major followings I didn't watch are The Walking Dead (yet) and Sons of Anarchy. Wife has no interest in SoA although I think I'd like it. It's also a lot of seasons. I'm hoping to find another diamond in the rough like Bloodlines was or Halt and Catch Fire has been so far.

I think you'd enjoy SOA as well, but it's a lot to take. Might be something you eventually watch on your own.

TWD is something you should probably catch up on first though. That's going to stay on television a while longer, so the sooner you catch up, the less you have to watch after it's finally off the air. They are projecting at least ten seasons. If not more.

Daredevil is THAT damn good that you wont have to sell it. Its violent and bloody. Not comic booky at all.

Archived