• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

'Sons of Anarchy' Spin-off, 'Mayans MC' on FX

Phil

Details about the project are scarce. In fact, we only know one thing for certain about the proposed storyline: The project focuses on the Mayans—the Oakland-based Hispanic MC gang that had quite a rocky history with SAMCRO across seven seasons. In the original series, the Mayans run heroin factories and are also involved in prostitution. Their cuts bear the legend “Los Asesinos de Dios”—Assassins of God.

Sutter had previously teased the idea of doing an SoA prequel as recently as last month at Comic-Con, possibly as a limited series. FX won’t officially confirm whether the new series will be a prequel or not. Either way, creating a new drama set in the SoA-verse makes plenty of sense for FX as Sons ranks as the most popular show in the network’s history. Last December’s Sons finale was seen by a whopping 9.2 million viewers.

Sutter will executive produce the as-yet-untitled project, and is currently hunting for a showrunner to handle the Mayan’s day-to-day management.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/08/26/sons-anarchy-spinoff-mayans?hootPostID=7ec3d50adeadbc94a0740d40bc742f15

• 6 months later...
Sons of Anarchy creator Kurt Sutter is prepping a potential spinoff to his long-running FX biker drama, which wrapped with record ratings in late 2014. Though it?s still early in the development process, the follow-up will center on the Mayans Motorcycle Club, which played a key role in the original.

For the time being, Sutter, who graces the current cover of The Hollywood Reporter, is keeping mum on details, so questions remain about the time period and the potential for Sons' stars to return. What he did reveal is that it will be a different show, noting that "tone, pace, storytelling will be unique." On Sons, the Mayans were positioned as a rival California motorcycle club, comprising mostly Mexican-Americans in the heroin distribution business. The Oakland charter, led by president Marcus Alvarez (played by Emilio Rivera), began the series as SAMCRO?s adversary. But as time went on, SAMCRO built up a tenuous working relationship with the Mayans, both as business partners and partners in crime and turf wars. (The spinoff will not be set in Northern California as Sons was.)

Like Sutter?s forthcoming medieval drama The Bastard Executioner, this entry will be a co-production between Fox 21 Television Studios and FX Productions. Sutter and team have not yet locked in a writer to help spearhead the project as Sutter is consumed by Bastard, for which he serves as a creator, writer, producer, director and, yes, actor. In fact, his Dark Mute character, which requires three-plus hours of prosthetic makeup, is expected to appear in six episodes of the series? first season, which launches Sept. 15 with a two-hour premiere on FX.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/kurt-sutter-developing-sons-anarchy-817650

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

'Sons of Anarchy' Spinoff Taps Edward James Olmos to Star

FX's Sons of Anarchy spinoff Mayans MC has found its star.

Battlestar Galactica and Dexter grad Edward James Olmos has been tapped to star in the Kurt Sutter spinoff, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.

Mayans MC is set post-SOA and centers on EZ Reyes, a prospect in the Mayan MC charter on the California/Mexico border who struggles with his desire for vengeance against the cartel as well as his need for respect from the women he loves.

Olmos will star as Felipe Reyes, the family's formerly strong patriarch who, after years of being crushed by bullets and labor, struggles to keep his past buried and lead his own sons down a lawful and righteous path

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/sons-anarchy-spinoff-taps-edward-james-olmos-star-975691

--

Frak me -- this just got good!

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I really enjoyed the premiere. Looks like he'll use his animals as characters and symbols something he excels at. I'm just concerned because I read that this is going to get into the political climate as well, I'd assume border wall illegals and other stuff. That can take away from the show. But so far it looks great

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, I'm really into it. It's definitely got that Sons feel, but also feels like a fresh new story with new characters to invest in. Zeke and his father (Olmos) are fantastic together. Love the Danny Pino casting for Galindo, too. He's a ruthless fuck.

• 1 month later...
Yeah, I'm really into it. It's definitely got that Sons feel, but also feels like a fresh new story with new characters to invest in. Zeke and his father (Olmos) are fantastic together. Love the Danny Pino casting for Galindo, too. He's a ruthless fuck.
Are you looking forward to the season 1 finale as much as I am? I feel like they've done enough to keep sons as part of the story but made you emotionally invested in these characters.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

This took on a life of it's own very quickly. Really looking forward to the finale. I haven't looked at what ratings are like for it -- I just hope FX gives it another season. The EZ-Angel conflict needs an entire season to play out. Especially when the club offers him a patch.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk