Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 100

Thread: Adidas Wins NHL Jersey Deal Beginning in 2016-17

  1. #41
    Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Mikey37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    28,897
    Rep Power
    267
    Will the bottom cut change ? It looks straight on the Michigan pic, but curved on the UMass one.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

  2. #42
    Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    74,851
    Rep Power
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    I'm guessing the same, where there might be an initial discussion about advertising on the front by the arm pits.
    The only thing that has me disagreeing is the "C". Would look very cluttered there.

  3. #43
    Boom BSBH Prospect
    NYRangers92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    19,357
    Rep Power
    77
    I think its too soon to tell about the jersey cut. Who knows what kind of cockamamie super ultra mega climate cool anti sweat vortex material theyll have in 2017

  4. #44
    Boom BSBH Prospect
    NYRangers92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    19,357
    Rep Power
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    I'm guessing the same, where there might be an initial discussion about advertising on the front by the arm pits.
    The armpits comment gave me a thought. They could even go the route of putting the stripes in the arm pits, like the Lightning alternate

  5. #45
    Sticks Out For Harambe BSBH Prospect
    CreaseCrusader91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    18,945
    Rep Power
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    Who, the Rangers? I doubt it. There's equity built into what they have right now. There's no logical or economic reason to re-do that. But in terms of generating cash flow, I have no doubt they'll commemorate the centennial with a patch, just like they did for the (kind of arbitrary) 85th.



    You're mistaking my posts as support of re-branding the Rangers' identity from the ground up. I'm not. Eeven though I'd love to see what a company like Under Armour or Nike could do, considering their wealth of re-branded NCAA and Academy football teams.

    I'm simply stating that the jersey is not a "timeless classic", as it's been changed before, and that the default position of running to D-league Euro teams that only exist because of Corporate sponsorship sold on their jerseys is hyperbolic, and probably not a realistic fear to have.
    The NHL in general.
    Hidden Content
    “Practice isn't the thing you do once you're good. It's the thing you do that makes you good.”- Malcolm Gladwell

  6. #46
    a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    Respecttheblue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    N.Y.
    Posts
    9,331
    Rep Power
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRangers92 View Post
    If Adidas does try to incorporate 3 stripes into every jersey design, at least the Rangers away jersey shouldnt change too much sinc it pretty much already has it
    lol, yep we could try to claim an exemption, I guess

    Hope we don't see any major manifestation of the three stripes elsewhere except for the logo.
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones
    Hidden Content

  7. #47
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    5,308
    Rep Power
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by Keirik View Post
    I highly doubt they integrate their three stripe logo anywhere and if they do it probably will look very small. My Men's soccer team jerseys are Adidas and have a very small three stripe on the back of the neck, similar to where the reebok logo is right now


    Best picture i could find quickly. Also, Adidas is not above using three stripes that blend in with the exact color of the jersey rather than a contrasting color.
    I think this is probably the most likely route they'll go, along with the small logo on either the shoulder or down by the hip. I can't imagine they're going to put stripes on all 30 jerseys.

  8. #48
    Senior Member Junior Division
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    9,449
    Rep Power
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    No they're not.

    According to Chris Creamer's Sportslogos.net, the Rangers have had sixteen different uniforms in their history, and that's not including the Subway Series uniforms or the 2012 Winter Classic, and probably a few other alterations over their 86-year history.

    For something to be a timeless classic, it would have had to have never been changed from the inception.

    This is a common fear-based reaction (we saw the same thing when Reebok first designed the EDGE jerseys and slimmed them to form fit the players) of fans of a sport who largely reject change of any kind. I mean, this is the only sport on the planet among civilized nations that actually sanctions bare knuckle boxing, all because fan reaction to outright removing it would be even worse than what you read about when they talk about advertising.
    People are always afraid of change. I'm sure the diagonal "Rangers" will stay and the home and away jerseys will be the same. This might mean a new 3rd though.
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

  9. #49
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    81,636
    Rep Power
    359
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    People are always afraid of change. I'm sure the diagonal "Rangers" will stay and the home and away jerseys will be the same. This might mean a new 3rd though.
    Adidas wouldn't have the kind of influence that you might be lead to believe reading the fear-mongering posts in terms of re-designing the "brand" and "look" of teams' jerseys. What they would be influencing is the overall layout of the jersey template, to which the brand and look of teams would apply.

    Again, similar to the EDGE concepts, with how they slimmed jerseys. The Rangers' diagonal letters simply had to adjust slightly to fit the new fabric layout and cut. They didn't change it. In fact, from what I can recall, the largest change due to the EDGE system was that Detroit ended up having to move their leadership letters to the left of the jersey, based on how their logo points upward too far into the upper right corner.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

  10. #50
    Senior Member Junior Division
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    9,449
    Rep Power
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    Adidas wouldn't have the kind of influence that you might be lead to believe reading the fear-mongering posts in terms of re-designing the "brand" and "look" of teams' jerseys. What they would be influencing is the overall layout of the jersey template, to which the brand and look of teams would apply.

    Again, similar to the EDGE concepts, with how they slimmed jerseys. The Rangers' diagonal letters simply had to adjust slightly to fit the new fabric layout and cut. They didn't change it. In fact, from what I can recall, the largest change due to the EDGE system was that Detroit ended up having to move their leadership letters to the left of the jersey, based on how their logo points upward too far into the upper right corner.
    That's what I mean. Everyone was worried about the EDGE jerseys and you couldn't even tell once the games started. It'll be the same this time too, I'm sure. Looking back at the pre-Edge jerseys I can't believe the jerseys were ever that baggy or bulky. The Richter jersey I own feels like i'm wearing a trash bag.
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

  11. #51
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    81,636
    Rep Power
    359
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    That's what I mean. Everyone was worried about the EDGE jerseys and you couldn't even tell once the games started. It'll be the same this time too, I'm sure. Looking back at the pre-Edge jerseys I can't believe the jerseys were ever that baggy or bulky. The Richter jersey I own feels like i'm wearing a trash bag.
    Exactly. That's why I keep reminding everyone that they're being hyperbolic by posting images of D-rate Euro leagues, as if it's reasonable to assume that the NHL exploring ads on jerseys means they'll plaster the uniforms from head-to-toe.

    Adidas won the rights, so they'll brand the jerseys as much as the league will allow, which ultimately, probably, won't be very much at all.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

  12. #52
    Sighing Dutchman BSBH Prospect
    Jules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Princeton, NJ
    Posts
    19,057
    Rep Power
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey37 View Post
    Will the bottom cut change ? It looks straight on the Michigan pic, but curved on the UMass one.
    The Wisconsin Adidas jersey always had a straight cut, similar to what the NHL Rbk Edge jerseys had, but a little less tight cut.
    Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
    Hidden Content

  13. #53
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ BSBH Prospect
    Patrick Bateman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,193
    Rep Power
    190
    I heard they're going to add adverts, change the logo to horizontal and relocate them to Kansas City
    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

    Regards,

    Patrick Bateman

    Sent from my iPhone

  14. #54
    Resident Garbage Clown BSBH Prospect
    Dunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,728
    Rep Power
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Probably not any leagues, but they have a bunch of college teams - which are done on a team by team basis.

    Notre Dame, Michigan, Wisconsin and I think Denver have all had Adidas unis at some point, off the top of my head.
    Nebraska too

  15. #55
    Formerly Richter Redux Midget Division
    Ranger Lothbrok's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    4,494
    Rep Power
    106
    Boy, advertisements on jerseys will be just a perfect addition to the Bettman legacy. I get that the league needs revenue from somewhere and that it's looking to expand, but this, if it comes to fruition, in my opinion is the kind of thing you just don't come back from. All these classic, iconic jerseys formerly unadulterated will now be marred by ads like this is fucking NASCAR or something.

    Can't wait to see the classic Rangers blue jersey with advertisements on it. Or the classic Wings logo, or Blackhawks logo, or the Maple Leaf, or Habs logo, or Bruins logo. This is exactly what hockey needs in order to become even more of a laughing stock than it already is. I'm praying to all that is holy that this does not come to pass.

  16. #56
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    81,636
    Rep Power
    359
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Lothbrok View Post
    Boy, advertisements on jerseys will be just a perfect addition to the Bettman legacy. I get that the league needs revenue from somewhere and that it's looking to expand, but this, if it comes to fruition, in my opinion is the kind of thing you just don't come back from. All these classic, iconic jerseys formerly unadulterated will now be marred by ads like this is fucking NASCAR or something.

    Can't wait to see the classic Rangers blue jersey with advertisements on it. Or the classic Wings logo, or Blackhawks logo, or the Maple Leaf, or Habs logo, or Bruins logo. This is exactly what hockey needs in order to become even more of a laughing stock than it already is. I'm praying to all that is holy that this does not come to pass.
    The Bettman legacy of taking the NHL from a $700 million dollar enterprise to a $3 billion dollar one? Maybe I'm too focused on the economics, but that sure seems like a pretty solid legacy to me.

    Like I've said repeatedly in this thread and elsewhere, this reads, at least to me, the way most reactions from fans do to change of any kind in the NHL. It's always a race to see who can draw up the most apocalyptic doomsday scenario to illustrate the dangers of whatever change is occurring. It's always a slippery slope fallacy, too.

    >> "Oh great, they want to have players wearing form-fitting jerseys? What's next, they come out dressed as ballerinas in tights with pink skates?!"

    >> "Oh great, we're talking about reducing the frequency of fighting in the game where it's been linked directly to concussions? What's next, every player has to wear a giant protective air bubble so no one can come into contact with another?"

    At the end of the day, we have no way of knowing to what extent advertisements may be implemented on jerseys, so there's no reason to assume a doomsday scenario in which the league parades out teams plastered in them like NASCAR drivers. It's far more reasonable to assume the league would allow strategic placement of advertisements on jerseys, probably with strict regulations and rules to determine how many are permitted, where they permitted (in terms of placement), and to set a standard over the types of companies allowed to advertise there, just as we have now on the boards and ice.

    The price tag to do so is probably also going to be astronomical, so as to effectively write off the types of companies and products fans would be embarrassed to be associated with.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

  17. #57
    Sighing Dutchman BSBH Prospect
    Jules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Princeton, NJ
    Posts
    19,057
    Rep Power
    125
    The fact that a guy like Blake Wheeler makes nearly $6 million dollars a year for scoring 60 points on a mediocre NHL team in a small market is the direct result of Bettman's economic success in aggressively growing and marketing the NHL. To see him champion the jersey as "sacred" and as a defender against some sort of increased capitalist approach strikes me as a little odd.

    The game is halted twice per period for tv commercials, giving teams a breather. The boards are plastered with bright colored brand names. Sponsors are projected on the glass behind the goal. Every single fucking item, replay, moment is brought to you by who-the-fuck-cares-show-me-the-fucking-hockey. And it's made even the scrubs bloody millionaires, while fans pay out of their asses to see them play. But god forbid a logo appears on the jersey, that's line.

    Well, guess what Blake, fans have been looking at empty wallets and covered boards and glass for a while now. If you suddenly care and want your opinion heard now that it's on something you see daily, well, go take a hike. Don't wear the fucking jersey. This, really, this is the final straw of commercialization for athletes? That's just laughable. Fans and sponsors made you rich through plenty of nuisances and expenses already. Boo-fucking-hoo.
    Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
    Hidden Content

  18. #58
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    81,636
    Rep Power
    359
    While I see your point, the problem isn't with Wheeler. It's with fans who are loudly rejecting this (as they tend to do with any type of change, especially significant). By targeting Wheeler, you're giving them a martyr when it's those fans themselves who need to be challenged. You did a wonderful job of it in your second paragraph. That's the type of thing you need to be showing to everyone not just reluctant to advertising on jerseys, but especially to those who are the first to post the Euro league images and talk about the NHL becoming NASCAR.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

  19. #59
    Sighing Dutchman BSBH Prospect
    Jules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Princeton, NJ
    Posts
    19,057
    Rep Power
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    While I see your point, the problem isn't with Wheeler. It's with fans who are loudly rejecting this (as they tend to do with any type of change, especially significant). By targeting Wheeler, you're giving them a martyr when it's those fans themselves who need to be challenged. You did a wonderful job of it in your second paragraph. That's the type of thing you need to be showing to everyone not just reluctant to advertising on jerseys, but especially to those who are the first to post the Euro league images and talk about the NHL becoming NASCAR.
    I'm annoyed by them too, but Wheeler is a fucking millionaire biting the hand that feeds him, by riling up his hard-working fans against the people who sign his checks. Wheeler is using the people who give his boss and employer the money to pay him a shitload of money to someone speak up against that same boss. That's just plain stupid.
    Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
    Hidden Content

  20. #60
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    81,636
    Rep Power
    359
    But Wheeler himself is a red herring in this situation. It's the fans' voice being so loud and so overwhelmingly negative that's giving him a soap box to stand on right now. That tweet falls on deaf ears if hockey fans, in general, are more open-minded about change.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •