Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Adidas Wins NHL Jersey Deal Beginning in 2016-17

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Will the bottom cut change ? It looks straight on the Michigan pic, but curved on the UMass one.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    I'm guessing the same, where there might be an initial discussion about advertising on the front by the arm pits.
    The only thing that has me disagreeing is the "C". Would look very cluttered there.

Boom BSBH Prospect
    I think its too soon to tell about the jersey cut. Who knows what kind of cockamamie super ultra mega climate cool anti sweat vortex material theyll have in 2017

Boom BSBH Prospect
    I'm guessing the same, where there might be an initial discussion about advertising on the front by the arm pits.
    The armpits comment gave me a thought. They could even go the route of putting the stripes in the arm pits, like the Lightning alternate

Sticks Out For Harambe BSBH Prospect
    Who, the Rangers? I doubt it. There's equity built into what they have right now. There's no logical or economic reason to re-do that. But in terms of generating cash flow, I have no doubt they'll commemorate the centennial with a patch, just like they did for the (kind of arbitrary) 85th.

You're mistaking my posts as support of re-branding the Rangers' identity from the ground up. I'm not. Eeven though I'd love to see what a company like Under Armour or Nike could do, considering their wealth of re-branded NCAA and Academy football teams.

I'm simply stating that the jersey is not a "timeless classic", as it's been changed before, and that the default position of running to D-league Euro teams that only exist because of Corporate sponsorship sold on their jerseys is hyperbolic, and probably not a realistic fear to have.
    The NHL in general.
    Hidden Content
    “Practice isn't the thing you do once you're good. It's the thing you do that makes you good.”- Malcolm Gladwell

a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRangers92 View Post
    If Adidas does try to incorporate 3 stripes into every jersey design, at least the Rangers away jersey shouldnt change too much sinc it pretty much already has it
    lol, yep we could try to claim an exemption, I guess

Hope we don't see any major manifestation of the three stripes elsewhere except for the logo.
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones
    Hidden Content

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Keirik View Post
    I highly doubt they integrate their three stripe logo anywhere and if they do it probably will look very small. My Men's soccer team jerseys are Adidas and have a very small three stripe on the back of the neck, similar to where the reebok logo is right now

Best picture i could find quickly. Also, Adidas is not above using three stripes that blend in with the exact color of the jersey rather than a contrasting color.
    I think this is probably the most likely route they'll go, along with the small logo on either the shoulder or down by the hip. I can't imagine they're going to put stripes on all 30 jerseys.

Senior Member Junior Division
    No they're not.

According to Chris Creamer's Sportslogos.net, the Rangers have had sixteen different uniforms in their history, and that's not including the Subway Series uniforms or the 2012 Winter Classic, and probably a few other alterations over their 86-year history.

For something to be a timeless classic, it would have had to have never been changed from the inception.

This is a common fear-based reaction (we saw the same thing when Reebok first designed the EDGE jerseys and slimmed them to form fit the players) of fans of a sport who largely reject change of any kind. I mean, this is the only sport on the planet among civilized nations that actually sanctions bare knuckle boxing, all because fan reaction to outright removing it would be even worse than what you read about when they talk about advertising.
    People are always afraid of change. I'm sure the diagonal "Rangers" will stay and the home and away jerseys will be the same. This might mean a new 3rd though.
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    People are always afraid of change. I'm sure the diagonal "Rangers" will stay and the home and away jerseys will be the same. This might mean a new 3rd though.
    Adidas wouldn't have the kind of influence that you might be lead to believe reading the fear-mongering posts in terms of re-designing the "brand" and "look" of teams' jerseys. What they would be influencing is the overall layout of the jersey template, to which the brand and look of teams would apply.

Again, similar to the EDGE concepts, with how they slimmed jerseys. The Rangers' diagonal letters simply had to adjust slightly to fit the new fabric layout and cut. They didn't change it. In fact, from what I can recall, the largest change due to the EDGE system was that Detroit ended up having to move their leadership letters to the left of the jersey, based on how their logo points upward too far into the upper right corner.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Junior Division
    Adidas wouldn't have the kind of influence that you might be lead to believe reading the fear-mongering posts in terms of re-designing the "brand" and "look" of teams' jerseys. What they would be influencing is the overall layout of the jersey template, to which the brand and look of teams would apply.

Again, similar to the EDGE concepts, with how they slimmed jerseys. The Rangers' diagonal letters simply had to adjust slightly to fit the new fabric layout and cut. They didn't change it. In fact, from what I can recall, the largest change due to the EDGE system was that Detroit ended up having to move their leadership letters to the left of the jersey, based on how their logo points upward too far into the upper right corner.
    That's what I mean. Everyone was worried about the EDGE jerseys and you couldn't even tell once the games started. It'll be the same this time too, I'm sure. Looking back at the pre-Edge jerseys I can't believe the jerseys were ever that baggy or bulky. The Richter jersey I own feels like i'm wearing a trash bag.
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    That's what I mean. Everyone was worried about the EDGE jerseys and you couldn't even tell once the games started. It'll be the same this time too, I'm sure. Looking back at the pre-Edge jerseys I can't believe the jerseys were ever that baggy or bulky. The Richter jersey I own feels like i'm wearing a trash bag.
    Exactly. That's why I keep reminding everyone that they're being hyperbolic by posting images of D-rate Euro leagues, as if it's reasonable to assume that the NHL exploring ads on jerseys means they'll plaster the uniforms from head-to-toe.

Adidas won the rights, so they'll brand the jerseys as much as the league will allow, which ultimately, probably, won't be very much at all.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Sighing Dutchman BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey37 View Post
    Will the bottom cut change ? It looks straight on the Michigan pic, but curved on the UMass one.
    The Wisconsin Adidas jersey always had a straight cut, similar to what the NHL Rbk Edge jerseys had, but a little less tight cut.
    Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
    Hidden Content

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ BSBH Prospect
    I heard they're going to add adverts, change the logo to horizontal and relocate them to Kansas City
    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Regards,

Patrick Bateman

Sent from my iPhone

Resident Garbage Clown BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Probably not any leagues, but they have a bunch of college teams - which are done on a team by team basis.

Notre Dame, Michigan, Wisconsin and I think Denver have all had Adidas unis at some point, off the top of my head.
    Nebraska too

Formerly Richter Redux Midget Division
    Boy, advertisements on jerseys will be just a perfect addition to the Bettman legacy. I get that the league needs revenue from somewhere and that it's looking to expand, but this, if it comes to fruition, in my opinion is the kind of thing you just don't come back from. All these classic, iconic jerseys formerly unadulterated will now be marred by ads like this is fucking NASCAR or something.

Can't wait to see the classic Rangers blue jersey with advertisements on it. Or the classic Wings logo, or Blackhawks logo, or the Maple Leaf, or Habs logo, or Bruins logo. This is exactly what hockey needs in order to become even more of a laughing stock than it already is. I'm praying to all that is holy that this does not come to pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Lothbrok View Post
    Boy, advertisements on jerseys will be just a perfect addition to the Bettman legacy. I get that the league needs revenue from somewhere and that it's looking to expand, but this, if it comes to fruition, in my opinion is the kind of thing you just don't come back from. All these classic, iconic jerseys formerly unadulterated will now be marred by ads like this is fucking NASCAR or something.

Can't wait to see the classic Rangers blue jersey with advertisements on it. Or the classic Wings logo, or Blackhawks logo, or the Maple Leaf, or Habs logo, or Bruins logo. This is exactly what hockey needs in order to become even more of a laughing stock than it already is. I'm praying to all that is holy that this does not come to pass.
    The Bettman legacy of taking the NHL from a $700 million dollar enterprise to a $3 billion dollar one? Maybe I'm too focused on the economics, but that sure seems like a pretty solid legacy to me.

Like I've said repeatedly in this thread and elsewhere, this reads, at least to me, the way most reactions from fans do to change of any kind in the NHL. It's always a race to see who can draw up the most apocalyptic doomsday scenario to illustrate the dangers of whatever change is occurring. It's always a slippery slope fallacy, too.

>> "Oh great, they want to have players wearing form-fitting jerseys? What's next, they come out dressed as ballerinas in tights with pink skates?!"

>> "Oh great, we're talking about reducing the frequency of fighting in the game where it's been linked directly to concussions? What's next, every player has to wear a giant protective air bubble so no one can come into contact with another?"

At the end of the day, we have no way of knowing to what extent advertisements may be implemented on jerseys, so there's no reason to assume a doomsday scenario in which the league parades out teams plastered in them like NASCAR drivers. It's far more reasonable to assume the league would allow strategic placement of advertisements on jerseys, probably with strict regulations and rules to determine how many are permitted, where they permitted (in terms of placement), and to set a standard over the types of companies allowed to advertise there, just as we have now on the boards and ice.

The price tag to do so is probably also going to be astronomical, so as to effectively write off the types of companies and products fans would be embarrassed to be associated with.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

The fact that a guy like Blake Wheeler makes nearly $6 million dollars a year for scoring 60 points on a mediocre NHL team in a small market is the direct result of Bettman's economic success in aggressively growing and marketing the NHL. To see him champion the jersey as "sacred" and as a defender against some sort of increased capitalist approach strikes me as a little odd.

The game is halted twice per period for tv commercials, giving teams a breather. The boards are plastered with bright colored brand names. Sponsors are projected on the glass behind the goal. Every single fucking item, replay, moment is brought to you by who-the-fuck-cares-show-me-the-fucking-hockey. And it's made even the scrubs bloody millionaires, while fans pay out of their asses to see them play. But god forbid a logo appears on the jersey, that's line.

Well, guess what Blake, fans have been looking at empty wallets and covered boards and glass for a while now. If you suddenly care and want your opinion heard now that it's on something you see daily, well, go take a hike. Don't wear the fucking jersey. This, really, this is the final straw of commercialization for athletes? That's just laughable. Fans and sponsors made you rich through plenty of nuisances and expenses already. Boo-fucking-hoo.
    Hidden Content

While I see your point, the problem isn't with Wheeler. It's with fans who are loudly rejecting this (as they tend to do with any type of change, especially significant). By targeting Wheeler, you're giving them a martyr when it's those fans themselves who need to be challenged. You did a wonderful job of it in your second paragraph. That's the type of thing you need to be showing to everyone not just reluctant to advertising on jerseys, but especially to those who are the first to post the Euro league images and talk about the NHL becoming NASCAR.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

While I see your point, the problem isn't with Wheeler. It's with fans who are loudly rejecting this (as they tend to do with any type of change, especially significant). By targeting Wheeler, you're giving them a martyr when it's those fans themselves who need to be challenged. You did a wonderful job of it in your second paragraph. That's the type of thing you need to be showing to everyone not just reluctant to advertising on jerseys, but especially to those who are the first to post the Euro league images and talk about the NHL becoming NASCAR.
    I'm annoyed by them too, but Wheeler is a fucking millionaire biting the hand that feeds him, by riling up his hard-working fans against the people who sign his checks. Wheeler is using the people who give his boss and employer the money to pay him a shitload of money to someone speak up against that same boss. That's just plain stupid.
    Hidden Content

But Wheeler himself is a red herring in this situation. It's the fans' voice being so loud and so overwhelmingly negative that's giving him a soap box to stand on right now. That tweet falls on deaf ears if hockey fans, in general, are more open-minded about change.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast