Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Adidas Wins NHL Jersey Deal Beginning in 2016-17

Boom BSBH Prospect

Adidas Wins NHL Jersey Deal Beginning in 2016-17

The National Hockey League appears poised for radical changes to its team jerseys in the wake of a deal that may pave the way for advertising on team uniforms.

Adidas has won a long-term deal to make uniforms for the 30 NHL teams, beginning in the 2016-17 season.
    For Adidas, the NHL deal is a big, if curious, win. The company beat out rivals Under Armour and Bauer Hockey for the NHL jersey contract, three people familiar with the matter told TSN. The NHL’s deal with Reebok pays the league about $35 million per season, a source said. The new deal with Adidas will see the rights fee double, the source said.
    http://www.tsn.ca/adidas-lands-nhl-jersey-deal-1.346839

#68 Яромир Ягр Junior Division
    Just out of curiosity does Adidas have the rights to any other league's jerseys, either North American or international?

Boom BSBH Prospect
    As far as I know the one rights-holder per league thing seems to be a North American thing. Every other league (incuding NCAA), seems to be on a team-by-team basis. Like Nike does all of Oregon's equipment, Maryland uses Under Armour, Man City uses Nike, Chelsea uses Adidas, etc.

The Dolphin Whisperer BSBH Rookie
    Did some research... Apparently Adidas owns Reebok, so this is more like a retention of rights with a re-branding.

Boom BSBH Prospect
    Theyre technically an independent subsidiary, so Reebok couldve (and probably did) made a separate bid.

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    ...here comes the bitching.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by NYRangers92 View Post
    Theyre technically an independent subsidiary, so Reebok couldve (and probably did) made a separate bid.
    Right. Reebok has shifted its focus more towards fitness though, so I doubt they made a bid. It's all covered in the article.

Shawcappella BSBH Prospect
    I wonder what that'll mean for the styles of jerseys. Probably will mean the death of the Edge 2.0 style and hopefully something that allows more variation in design.

"The company beat out rivals Under Armour and Bauer Hockey for the NHL jersey contract, three people familiar with the matter told TSN. "

So the three companies who bid were Adidas, Under Armour and Bauer Hockey. It's likely Reebok did not bid considering their deal with Crosby also expires at the end of August, and he's been negotiating with Adidas.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Boom BSBH Prospect
    If Adidas does try to incorporate 3 stripes into every jersey design, at least the Rangers away jersey shouldnt change too much sinc it pretty much already has it

Depends on how they attempt to implement it.

The easiest way might be to simply re-design every jersey to have three horizontal stripes around the elbow, or along the bottom of the jersey, since few jerseys don't already utilize existing stripes in both places.

The only few I can think off off the top of my head are Columbus, Detroit, the Panthers, the Pens, etc.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Karan View Post
    Just out of curiosity does Adidas have the rights to any other league's jerseys, either North American or international?
    Probably not any leagues, but they have a bunch of college teams - which are done on a team by team basis.

Notre Dame, Michigan, Wisconsin and I think Denver have all had Adidas unis at some point, off the top of my head.

Sticks Out For Harambe BSBH Prospect
    I'm surprised Nike didn't make a bid considering they already have the Olympic contract.

I'd be interested to see what they look like though, I'd imagine initial versions will be subtle with more drastic changes coming if they decide to add well placed ads.
    Hidden Content
    “Practice isn't the thing you do once you're good. It's the thing you do that makes you good.”- Malcolm Gladwell

Bruce Wayne is a Blueshirt Mite Division Provolone_NYR35's Avatar
    TSN reports that this will open to advertising most likely. Anyone boycotting with me? I cringe to the fact of ads on a blueshirt. And I hope they don't go crazy with redesigning the Rangers jerseys they're a timeless classic.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    Lets Go Rangers

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Boycotting as in watching or buying jerseys? I never bought jerseys to begin with and will probably never stop watching.
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Boom BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    Depends on how they attempt to implement it.

The easiest way might be to simply re-design every jersey to have three horizontal stripes around the elbow, or along the bottom of the jersey, since few jerseys don't already utilize existing stripes in both places.

The only few I can think off off the top of my head are Columbus, Detroit, the Panthers, the Pens, etc.
    Here are some examples of how Adidas implements the stripes. It's a relatively subdued design trait, but still noticeable.

They haven't really done much incorporation of the 3 stripes into college football jerseys, because most of the schools want obnoxious and flashy designs to attract recruits.

Quote Originally Posted by Missing Teeth View Post
    Boycotting as in watching or buying jerseys? I never bought jerseys to begin with and will probably never stop watching.
    Yeah, pretty much the same here. I don't give a shit what they put on the jerseys.

Any little boycott won't matter anyway, since the money the league will be getting from the ads will cover the cost of about a million boycotting fans.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    I don't hate the idea of the possibility of sponsors, I would hope it would be attached to an increase in the teams salary cap or something along those sorts. x amount of million in sponsorships *capped I would hope so we don't go crazy with it* gets you y amount of extra percentage in salary cap limits. I have an old German League Jersey(I believe it is) and I don't dislike the sponsorship i actually happen to like the jersey.

Bruce Wayne is a Blueshirt Mite Division Provolone_NYR35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Missing Teeth View Post
    No as in fuck the nhl just buy the fake ones. I would never stop watching lol. Pretty sure all the payments for jerseys go to the nhl
    Lets Go Rangers

Shawcappella BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Provolone_NYR35 View Post
    TSN reports that this will open to advertising most likely. Anyone boycotting with me? I cringe to the fact of ads on a blueshirt. And I hope they don't go crazy with redesigning the Rangers jerseys they're a timeless classic.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    I think the mere fact that the deal is worth double the current deal will prolong any advertisements and at least keep them very minor should they ever be implemented.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast