Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daniel Brière Announces Retirement from the NHL

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend

Daniel Brière Announces Retirement from the NHL

@theScore: Daniel Briere has announced his retirement from the NHL. http://t.co/Yj2ZSmVMcT http://t.co/9noBic7ySS

--

He's not making the Hall, but his 116 points in 124 playoff games was an impressive run. From '05-06 to like '11-12 he was an incredibly important player for those Sabres and Flyers teams.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ Junior Division
    Bet he would have popped in a few playoff goals for us over a certain someone else who recently retired

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Not so sure, he averaged 0.14 this season compared to St Louis 0.28. He was clearly injured and on a rapid decline as well.
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Quote Originally Posted by Keirik View Post
    Bet he would have popped in a few playoff goals for us over a certain someone else who recently retired
    In the same year? I'm not sure. He struggled to do much or anything with a pretty bad Avs team.

Years before, probably. But he'd have had the same effect as MSL did the first time around.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ Junior Division
    Well i dont think he would have been dominant but Roy and Briere did not see eye to eye all season. He was flopped all over the place in the lineup. Its ashame the way he went out.

//reported Junior Division
    didn't see this coming.
    holy shit...didn't realize he's been playing for 17 seasons.
    MacKinnon > Stepan and Kreider?
    Barrie > Staal + 1st?

Deleted Midget Division
    To put the cart before the donkey:

Does he make the Hall of Fame?

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    No
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Quote Originally Posted by torontonyr View Post
    To put the cart before the donkey:

Does he make the Hall of Fame?
    Nah. Doesn't have the body of work, even though his playoff production is stellar.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Midget Division
    I remember at the end of the '06-'07 season when both he and Drury were up for free agency and I was dead-set against Briere ever coming to the Rangers. Looking back at what they did from that point on, I was completely wrong lol. He was a solid hockey player but I don't think he was a hall-of-famer. Just for comparison purposes, Tomas Sandstrom had about 80 more goals and 60 more assists than Briere during his career.

Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I remember at the end of the '06-'07 season when both he and Drury were up for free agency and I was dead-set against Briere ever coming to the Rangers. Looking back at what they did from that point on, I was completely wrong lol. He was a solid hockey player but I don't think he was a hall-of-famer. Just for comparison purposes, Tomas Sandstrom had about 80 more goals and 60 more assists than Briere during his career.
    Briere wouldn't have helped more than Drury.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Briere wouldn't have helped more than Drury.
    Would have been better to bring he and Drury in at the same time and leave Gomez in Jersey.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    Would have been better to bring he and Drury in at the same time and leave Gomez in Jersey.
    Drury battled through a lot of abuse meant for briere.

How do you mean?
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

How do you mean?
    Know a guy who knew a little in Buffalo.

Briere minutes were easy. PP, behind the net. Drury minutes were hard. Defensive. PK. PP at front of net. And then score.

Drury was already broken when he signed here.

Briere was hiding behind a guy getting punished. Look at Buffalo PP years prior. Briere sneaking around and Drury playing power forward.

Ah, gotcha. Thought you meant from fan-perspective, like if Drury took the abuse from fans that Brière should have.

That's probably an adequate assessment of him as a player, but honestly, I'm not sure it'd matter. He was all offense. And his playoffs alone made him worth the investment IMO. He nearly won the Cup for the Flyers the year they went to the Final. It's still a little shocking he didn't win the Conn Smythe considering he had 30 points in 23 games averaging three minutes less per game than Mike Richards, who still trailed him by 7 points.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Ah, gotcha. Thought you meant from fan-perspective, like if Drury took the abuse from fans that Brière should have.

That's probably an adequate assessment of him as a player, but honestly, I'm not sure it'd matter. He was all offense. And his playoffs alone made him worth the investment IMO. He nearly won the Cup for the Flyers the year they went to the Final. It's still a little shocking he didn't win the Conn Smythe considering he had 30 points in 23 games averaging three minutes less per game than Mike Richards, who still trailed him by 7 points.
    True but could you imagine him playing for Tortorella?

a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    Dadgum wanted to slap his face a few times, especially when he and Drury were causing us pain
    and then he had to go to Philly and try to rub salt in the wound.

but he was a damn good player at his best, kinda like a best in class small guy along with MSL.

Almost, sometimes I think, what Zuccarello could be,
    except Zucc has an even bigger heart in an even smaller package.

(Just to be clear, that's "in" a smaller package, not "and" )
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    True but could you imagine him playing for Tortorella?
    Kind of? I mean, he played for Lindy Ruff. It really depends on which version of Torts we're talking about. Safe is Death Torts would have loved him and called him a "little shit" like he did Benn Ferriero I'd think. Block everything from happening Torts... would rip him in half.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Kind of? I mean, he played for Lindy Ruff. It really depends on which version of Torts we're talking about. Safe is Death Torts would have loved him and called him a "little shit" like he did Benn Ferriero I'd think. Block everything from happening Torts... would rip him in half.
    More the Tortorella who wanted everyone hitting everything.

Ruff was tough on guys, but didn't really push physicality the way Torts did.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast