Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Daniel Brière Announces Retirement from the NHL

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    82,376
    Rep Power
    366

    Daniel Brière Announces Retirement from the NHL

    @theScore: Daniel Briere has announced his retirement from the NHL. http://t.co/Yj2ZSmVMcT http://t.co/9noBic7ySS

    --

    He's not making the Hall, but his 116 points in 124 playoff games was an impressive run. From '05-06 to like '11-12 he was an incredibly important player for those Sabres and Flyers teams.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  2. #2
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ Junior Division
    Keirik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    9,287
    Rep Power
    108
    Bet he would have popped in a few playoff goals for us over a certain someone else who recently retired

  3. #3
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    82,376
    Rep Power
    366
    Quote Originally Posted by Keirik View Post
    Bet he would have popped in a few playoff goals for us over a certain someone else who recently retired
    In the same year? I'm not sure. He struggled to do much or anything with a pretty bad Avs team.

    Years before, probably. But he'd have had the same effect as MSL did the first time around.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  4. #4
    Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Vodka Drunkenski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    13,745
    Rep Power
    112
    Not so sure, he averaged 0.14 this season compared to St Louis 0.28. He was clearly injured and on a rapid decline as well.
    Hidden Content

    Let's Go Rangers!

  5. #5
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ Junior Division
    Keirik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    9,287
    Rep Power
    108
    Well i dont think he would have been dominant but Roy and Briere did not see eye to eye all season. He was flopped all over the place in the lineup. Its ashame the way he went out.

  6. #6
    //reported Junior Division
    booze and wingz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    7,750
    Rep Power
    58
    didn't see this coming.
    holy shit...didn't realize he's been playing for 17 seasons.
    Out: Girardi, Klein, Stepan, Raanta
    In: Shattenkirk, Desharnais, Pavalec, DeAngelo/Bereglazalov/Pionk

  7. #7
    Deleted Midget Division
    torontonyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    3,806
    Rep Power
    75
    To put the cart before the donkey:

    Does he make the Hall of Fame?

  8. #8
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    82,376
    Rep Power
    366
    Quote Originally Posted by torontonyr View Post
    To put the cart before the donkey:

    Does he make the Hall of Fame?
    Nah. Doesn't have the body of work, even though his playoff production is stellar.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  9. #9
    Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Vodka Drunkenski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    13,745
    Rep Power
    112
    No
    Hidden Content

    Let's Go Rangers!

  10. #10
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Kevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    2,741
    Rep Power
    41
    I remember at the end of the '06-'07 season when both he and Drury were up for free agency and I was dead-set against Briere ever coming to the Rangers. Looking back at what they did from that point on, I was completely wrong lol. He was a solid hockey player but I don't think he was a hall-of-famer. Just for comparison purposes, Tomas Sandstrom had about 80 more goals and 60 more assists than Briere during his career.

  11. #11
    Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    74,851
    Rep Power
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I remember at the end of the '06-'07 season when both he and Drury were up for free agency and I was dead-set against Briere ever coming to the Rangers. Looking back at what they did from that point on, I was completely wrong lol. He was a solid hockey player but I don't think he was a hall-of-famer. Just for comparison purposes, Tomas Sandstrom had about 80 more goals and 60 more assists than Briere during his career.
    Briere wouldn't have helped more than Drury.

  12. #12
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    82,376
    Rep Power
    366
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Briere wouldn't have helped more than Drury.
    Would have been better to bring he and Drury in at the same time and leave Gomez in Jersey.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  13. #13
    Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    74,851
    Rep Power
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    Would have been better to bring he and Drury in at the same time and leave Gomez in Jersey.
    Drury battled through a lot of abuse meant for briere.

  14. #14
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    82,376
    Rep Power
    366
    How do you mean?
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  15. #15
    Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    74,851
    Rep Power
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    How do you mean?
    Know a guy who knew a little in Buffalo.

    Briere minutes were easy. PP, behind the net. Drury minutes were hard. Defensive. PK. PP at front of net. And then score.

    Drury was already broken when he signed here.

    Briere was hiding behind a guy getting punished. Look at Buffalo PP years prior. Briere sneaking around and Drury playing power forward.

  16. #16
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    82,376
    Rep Power
    366
    Ah, gotcha. Thought you meant from fan-perspective, like if Drury took the abuse from fans that Brière should have.

    That's probably an adequate assessment of him as a player, but honestly, I'm not sure it'd matter. He was all offense. And his playoffs alone made him worth the investment IMO. He nearly won the Cup for the Flyers the year they went to the Final. It's still a little shocking he didn't win the Conn Smythe considering he had 30 points in 23 games averaging three minutes less per game than Mike Richards, who still trailed him by 7 points.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  17. #17
    Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    74,851
    Rep Power
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    Ah, gotcha. Thought you meant from fan-perspective, like if Drury took the abuse from fans that Brière should have.

    That's probably an adequate assessment of him as a player, but honestly, I'm not sure it'd matter. He was all offense. And his playoffs alone made him worth the investment IMO. He nearly won the Cup for the Flyers the year they went to the Final. It's still a little shocking he didn't win the Conn Smythe considering he had 30 points in 23 games averaging three minutes less per game than Mike Richards, who still trailed him by 7 points.
    True but could you imagine him playing for Tortorella?

  18. #18
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    82,376
    Rep Power
    366
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    True but could you imagine him playing for Tortorella?
    Kind of? I mean, he played for Lindy Ruff. It really depends on which version of Torts we're talking about. Safe is Death Torts would have loved him and called him a "little shit" like he did Benn Ferriero I'd think. Block everything from happening Torts... would rip him in half.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  19. #19
    Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    74,851
    Rep Power
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    Kind of? I mean, he played for Lindy Ruff. It really depends on which version of Torts we're talking about. Safe is Death Torts would have loved him and called him a "little shit" like he did Benn Ferriero I'd think. Block everything from happening Torts... would rip him in half.
    More the Tortorella who wanted everyone hitting everything.

    Ruff was tough on guys, but didn't really push physicality the way Torts did.

  20. #20
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    82,376
    Rep Power
    366
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    More the Tortorella who wanted everyone hitting everything.

    Ruff was tough on guys, but didn't really push physicality the way Torts did.
    Right. That would have been a huge issue, I'd think, but that first year he'd have been OK (Brière).
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •