Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's it Going to Take to Get Duchene to the Rangers?

Senior Member Junior Division

What's it Going to Take to Get Duchene to the Rangers?

So, they get Shattenkirk on a good deal, but after they resign Zib and Fast they are tight to the cap. Too tight to bring in someone good enough to play 1st or 2nd line center.

I'm really not ok with going with Hayes in that spot.
    What would be a good package for Duchene? A decent contract is going to have to go the other way.

Your pick. Kreider or Miller may have to go with newly aquired DeAngelo. Obviously there needs to be an extension in place for Duchene.

Am I way off in thinking such a move is needed?

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division Winter's Avatar
    Predators signing Lindback/O'Connor and trading for Emelin show their likely gearing up to pay up for Duchene(or someone else) something we cannot match. If their willing to go Saros, 1 of their Dmen and a pick nothing we can do

Senior Member Mite Division rmc51's Avatar
    I think you are going to see Zib 1C, Miller 2C, and Hayes 3C.

What you see today is about what we will have. Perhaps another forward signed but nothing crazy imo.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division Winter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    I think you are going to see Zib 1C, Miller 2C, and Hayes 3C.

What you see today is about what we will have. Perhaps another forward signed but nothing crazy imo.
    agreed and we have to hope Zib doesn't miss any time

Senior Member Mite Division rmc51's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    agreed and we have to hope Zib doesn't miss any time
    All of these guys performed roughly at the same offensive production as Stepan. It will be interesting to see if A) 1 or 2 of them take another step forward and 2) if any of them can maintain the production against other team's top players...something Stepan had to do.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division mbob's Avatar
    Get a 1C and the rest will fall into place.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Sakic's ask is way too high for Duchesne. He already turned down Hamonic, next years 1st and a top prospect from the Isles. He turned down a better deal that included a #1 and a top dman. The price is way out of the ranger's league, forget it.

He wants one of Nashville's top 4 + a top prospect. They'd be nuts to do it. Duchesne is like Trouba in that his current team wants an astronomical return. We can't come close to the deals they rejected.

Fuck those GMs. They been talking about trading Duchesne for 2 years and he's had to field questions that long. How much buy-in is he going to have in Colorado come Preseason? They need to trade him at this point and they are being ridiculous.
    Last edited by Giacomin; 07-01-2017 at 10:00 PM.

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Which tells me the Rangers' equivalent starts (and ends) with Brady Skjei.

Thanks, but no thanks.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    Rangers are looking at something like this to start the season:

Kreider - Zib - MZA
    Vesey - Miller - Nash
    Grabner - Hayes - Buch
    Nieves - Andersson - Fast/Puempel
    UFA depth forward, preferably a center

McDonagh - Shattenkirk
    Skjei - Smith
    Staal - DeAngelo
    Holden

Fast in for Puemp when he's healthy. See what that does and tweak as necessary.
    “Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman,

Senior Member Bantam Division
    If our power play isn't lethal with that lineup I will walk down to front office and fire Arniel myself.

I don't know. I don't think it was worth trading Stepan to wind up with this. They have added two offensive D men, and taken away their best center. I was no fan of Stepan. I wanted him gone. But this sucks.

It's sad that I trust Miller as the 2nd line center over Hayes. Miller hasn't played center consistently in the NHL. The Rangers have lost not only their top producing center, but the haven't replaced him with anything. Add in Stepans defensive play, AND Lindbergs... They need to make a move. They went from a deep group of forwards and a weak defense, to a shallow group of forwards and a more offensive defense that is pretty lame defensively STILL.

Am I missing some other possibilities?

Quote Originally Posted by Valriera View Post
    If our power play isn't lethal with that lineup I will walk down to front office and fire Arniel myself.
    Why would it all of a sudden become lethal, if the forwards are all the same and you added a PP QB? Did Yandle make a huge impact on the PP here? You might as well go fire Arniel now. And trade Shattenkirk. Getting him makes less sense by the minute.

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    I don't know. I don't think it was worth trading Stepan to wind up with this. They have added two offensive D men, and taken away their best center. I was no fan of Stepan. I wanted him gone. But this sucks.

It's sad that I trust Miller as the 2nd line center over Hayes. Miller hasn't played center consistently in the NHL. The Rangers have lost not only their top producing center, but the haven't replaced him with anything. Add in Stepans defensive play, AND Lindbergs... They need to make a move. They went from a deep group of forwards and a weak defense, to a shallow group of forwards and a more offensive defense that is pretty lame defensively STILL.

Am I missing some other possibilities?
    Our forward depth isn't suddenly shallow. We are short a 1/2 center but our wing depth is better now that Vesey and Buch have a year of experience under their belts. Defensively we added a full season of Smith to basically replace Girardi.

We are in significantly better shape this year than last and the Summer isn't over yet.
    “Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman,

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanJesus View Post
    Our forward depth isn't suddenly shallow. We are short a 1/2 center but our wing depth is better now that Vesey and Buch have a year of experience under their belts. Defensively we added a full season of Smith to basically replace Girardi.

We are in significantly better shape this year than last and the Summer isn't over yet.
    I feel they took a big step back on what made this team work. IMO AV sucks at using offensive D men to the best of their abilities. I don't think Shattenkirk is a fit for this team, much like I didn't think Yandle was. That type of player doesn't thrive under this coach.

As I said in another thread, they have not replaced Stepans production up front. Center was a weak spot on this team to begin with. Now it's even worse with the loss of Stepan and Lindberg. I don't see the need to add an offensive D man if you have no legit centerman and are weak defensively on the back line.

Sure replacing Girardi (who wasn't as bad this past season) with Smith is an upgrade. But they still have Holden and Staal, and they added a young offensive D man, who will surely be in AVs dog house, because... AV... It might be an even weaker defense...

Maybe with Ruff coming in, there is a different mind set going forward? No more safe hockey. A more offensive charged idea, and using players to the best of their skill set instead of forcing them into being something they aren't? I doubt it.

Senior Member Midget Division Rangers's Avatar
    This isn't just about what we have on the team roster for the next year, it is also a business decision and asset management.
    NHL has shortage of RH defenseman where most of GM's overpay to get one.
    With that said, trading Stephan was done for few reasons;
    1. Change of core group.
    2. Getting rid of NTC for the next 4 years.
    3. Getting a project RH defenseman with skill and big upside.
    4. Recoup some of the draft picks we traded away in past years.
    5. Get younger and faster.

With Shatty, Smith, Pionik, Bereglazov, DeAngelo, we now have more RH defenseman then we need.
    It not only gives us strength where most NHL teams have issues, but also gives us upper hand if we are to trade any of the RHD, that is of course if all of them pan out.

We do have a hall at center, that could be dealt with easily, but will take time.
    Staal will be traded, this summer, or next year, which will open up some cap, Nash is coming off the books, hopefully before the contract expires so we can get some assets for him.

Overall, we are moving in the right direction, but nothing is done overnight. Patience is the key to success!

The only thing I regret Gorton doing is trading a player, second and third rounds to Carolina. If that didn't happen, we would be in a better position to get Duchene, or equalent Center.
    Last edited by Rangers; 07-02-2017 at 02:04 PM.
    Shoot the puck!

Senior Member Bantam Division LONG TIME FAN's Avatar
    Relax and enjoy the summer which brings warm weather, sunny days, boating, fishing, swimming and BASEBALL! NYR mgnt. will come to the rescue and defuse the legion of doom.

Bruins are supposedly dangling Brandon Carlo. I'm not familiar with him. How much better is he than DeAngelo?

Formerly Richter Redux Midget Division
    I will say this: while we don't have anywhere NEAR enough assets to acquire Duchene (we can be outbid by pretty much every team in the league), I am concerned about the center position on our roster. Here's hoping that Zib takes that step forward and becomes a true #1 center, or at least as passable a 1/2 center as Stepan was. Let's take a look at the past 10 Stanley Cup champs:
    Penguins (3 Cups): Crosby/Malkin
    Blackhawks (3 Cups): Toews
    Kings (2 Cups): Kopitar
    Bruins: Bergeron (Seguin later on)
    Red Wings: Datsyuk

Now obviously way more goes in to a Cup champ than just the #1 center (supporting cast like Chara, Doughty, Kane, Zetterberg, Kessel, Letang, Keith, Gaborik, Carter, etc.) but one thing they all have for sure that we don't is that game-controlling #1 center. In my opinion, you cannot win without one. And for what it's worth, I don't think Duchene qualifies either. These guys are hard to find; there are probably only 10 or so throughout the league. But that #1 center wins draws, makes every player around him better, and can be put on the ice when you're down by a goal with a minute left to give you a chance of tying it.

I'm willing to bet that, just like the recent Cup champs, the next few will all have that true #1 center. It's way too important of a position to get away with not having one. That's what concerns me.

For the record, I think this team is way better off already than it was. Addition by subtraction with Girardi, retaining Smith allows us to limit Staal's minutes, signing Shatty gives McDonagh the partner he's been waiting for his whole career, and our rookies like Vesey/Buch are ready to take that next step forward. But the loss of Stepan and Lindberg DOES hurt. And I think, ultimately, we get to the playoffs and discover we're still missing that "one last piece." Really, our only hope is to pray that the Isles aren't able to re-sign Tavares and we land him next summer.

Here's hoping Zib/Hayes/Miller step up, but I don't think it will be enough even if they do.

Senior Member Midget Division Rangers's Avatar
    While Tavares is one of the better centers in the League and we would love to have his talent, I'm not sure he is a right fit here. His little bit too slow for the style of game this team is constructed. Speed!
    I think he is slower then Stepan was, abviously with more talent.
    I might be completely wrong here.
    Last edited by Rangers; 07-02-2017 at 04:11 PM.
    Shoot the puck!

Former Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Bruins are supposedly dangling Brandon Carlo. I'm not familiar with him. How much better is he than DeAngelo?
    Brandon Carlo is a blue chip prospect, and made the NHL as a 19-year old (he turned 20 during the season). He projects as a top-4 defenseman, and has great size at 6'5" and 200+ lbs. DeAngelo is 5'11", and while more offensively gifted than Carlo IMO, he's not going to be as good of an overall defenseman. Plus the attitude problems for DeAngelo make him nowhere near worth what Carlo is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast