Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 57 of 57

Thread: HAHA, Sam Rosen......

  1. #41
    Senior Member Junior Division
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    9,145
    Rep Power
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    Well, that's your opinion. You enjoy his voice, you enjoy his call. I don't. I know my brother doesn't. I have a few others friends who watch games who also could take him or leave him. You say that a Rangers moment isn't nearly as fun without his voice, but for me, some of the best Rangers' moments have come without his voice, and I didn't even think twice about it. I was too busy being elated.



    PxP exists to add excitement and to allow you to follow the game when you're not staring at the screen. He does an OK job of the former when he's paying attention, but it really hurts the latter when he isn't.

    At the end of the day, I like guys like Doc who, like you said, call games like it's on the radio. It actaully allows me to not have to pay as much attention to the screen at every second.
    Which is fair but I remember hearing a lot of people complain when Sam wasn't allowed to call games after the first round. I think more people generally like Sam than dislike him. Personally, I don't see any reason to not continue using him but now were going in circles on something that comes down to opinion.
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

  2. #42
    Growing Member Bantam Division McDougalfaschnitzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    1,274
    Rep Power
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    Which is fair but I remember hearing a lot of people complain when Sam wasn't allowed to call games after the first round. I think more people generally like Sam than dislike him. Personally, I don't see any reason to not continue using him but now were going in circles on something that comes down to opinion.
    I think it's more the fact that while Doc is good at his job, he is calling the game both ways so you won't have the level of excitement leaning towards the team you are rooting for. That can be a detractor when you are playing against a team like the Penguins where even though it is supposed to be an unbiased broadcast, they sometimes seem to be more favorable to Pittsburgh.

  3. #43
    Clean Slate, Grab It! NYR BSBH Prospect
    Johnnydollaz18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    15,595
    Rep Power
    40
    I guess i'm the only one who wouldn't mind LaGreca taking over for Kenny on the radio if he is moved to the booth with Joe. I like LaGreca, I guess it's cause I listen to The Michael Kay show on a daily basis and have gotten used to his voice. But for somebody who grew up a die-hard Devils fan, I think he does a good job with Rangers PBP.

  4. #44
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    5,030
    Rep Power
    97
    Quote Originally Posted by McDougalfaschnitzer View Post
    I think it's more the fact that while Doc is good at his job, he is calling the game both ways so you won't have the level of excitement leaning towards the team you are rooting for. That can be a detractor when you are playing against a team like the Penguins where even though it is supposed to be an unbiased broadcast, they sometimes seem to be more favorable to Pittsburgh.
    I think bias is natural, most announcers who primarily cover one team generally are. In Doc's case, he's a Penguins fan in addition to whatever he feels towards the Devils, so...yea lol

  5. #45
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    80,813
    Rep Power
    354
    Quote Originally Posted by McDougalfaschnitzer View Post
    It all started with All Star games, in how they would be telling stories/anecdotes instead of calling the game. That bled into the normal games, where for some reason stuff that could easily be talked about between whistles was peppered into the play call. A lesser degree, yet equally annoying, thing to me is the thought that where a guy grew up and went to school and where he played in juniors or what minor team he played for is more imperative to the call than the actual action. That is something that I am just biased against haha. I think when I watch the national broadcasts I see/hear them the same way you might when you watch a game called by Sam. There are things that trigger you and detract from the experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    I find it annoying when, for absolutely no reason, Emrick throws out someone's home town.

    Emrick: Random 3rd liner, native of Moosejaw/Saskatchewan/Manitoba/Thunder Bay who played juniors in London Bay/Brandon/Calgary Hitmen moves it through the neutral zone and dumps the puck deep before heading off for a change.
    Peng: Yea, "player" was coached by "random guy" who really tought him how to be a tough/gritty/two-way player"

    Its the same crap over and over again and goals sneak up on him just like they do to Sam. He just yells "Scooooores so it doesn't seem so obvious.

    Also, a little piece of me dies every time he says "careening down the boards" or "OH MY GOODNESS"
    I get what you are both saying, and it annoys me with Pierre especially, but these are at least minor, and contextual to the game. So and so is from the Brandon Wheatkings might at the very least link you to other players you know played their game from Brandon, or the same for where they were born.

    It's at least linked to the game. The Yankees' bullpen isn't.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

  6. #46
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    80,813
    Rep Power
    354
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    Which is fair but I remember hearing a lot of people complain when Sam wasn't allowed to call games after the first round. I think more people generally like Sam than dislike him. Personally, I don't see any reason to not continue using him but now were going in circles on something that comes down to opinion.
    Of course. Most Rangers fans also like John Amirante, who I also can't stand because he's like 120 years past his expiration date.

    I completely recognize, appreciate and admit that I'm in an extreme minority in both cases.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

  7. #47
    Raanta and Raving BSBH Prospect
    Captain Clutch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    10,967
    Rep Power
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    Of course. Most Rangers fans also like John Amirante, who I also can't stand because he's like 120 years past his expiration date.

    I completely recognize, appreciate and admit that I'm in an extreme minority in both cases.
    I agree with you. They both need to go, get in some new talent

  8. #48
    Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    74,851
    Rep Power
    438
    Sam called the best moment ever in my life as a Rangers fan. That's all I care about.

  9. #49
    a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    Respecttheblue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    N.Y.
    Posts
    9,194
    Rep Power
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Guy's a legend. He'll go out when he's ready.

    Guess no one was watching the SCF when the God of PxP Doc Emerick was continually confusing Kane with Tervainnen and Toews with Kruger, Callahan with Brown, etc...



    Thanks.

    I'm not surprised he's still got Rangers on the brain — not like anyone here
    I'm gonna miss that great voice and delivery when he decides he's done.

    Missed Phil Rizzutto and Bill White tandem calling the Yankees, even if Phil talked all kinds of inane stuff it was like family. Sam is family.
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones
    Hidden Content

  10. #50
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    80,813
    Rep Power
    354
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Sam called the best moment ever in my life as a Rangers fan. That's all I care about.
    This I can agree with.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

  11. #51
    Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Vodka Drunkenski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    13,276
    Rep Power
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Sam called the best moment ever in my life as a Rangers fan. That's all I care about.
    So true
    Hidden Content

    Let's Go Rangers!

  12. #52
    Senior Member Bantam Division rvbcaboose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    1,118
    Rep Power
    12
    I like Sam. I like a lot of his calls, I like the way he gets excited. But the most important part of me liking Sam? Its his homerism. Past the first round, I don't want sam because I think hes the better PxP, I want him because he'll devote more time to what the Rangers have to do to win other than what the opponent has to do. He's a homer, and when the playoffs are on thats what I miss the most about him.

    That being said, I like Doc as well. I think hes a fantastic PxP, and the best one NBC fields for the playoffs. Second is Kenny Albert. Doc has called numerous playoff moments that I want to remember for a long time. Richards' GTG with 6.6 left in 2012, Followed by Staal's GW in OT. Marty's GW in game 4 ECF. Stepan's GW in game 7.
    Hidden Content

    "Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears"

  13. #53
    Deleted Midget Division
    torontonyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    3,688
    Rep Power
    70
    Also, if you think that Rosen gets names wrong - go watch a CBC broadcast that covers anything but the habs or Toronto.

    Zuccarella, Hagalon, Jasper Fast, MacDonagh, the list goes on.

  14. #54
    Senior Member Bantam Division Bugg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,501
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnydollaz18 View Post
    I guess i'm the only one who wouldn't mind LaGreca taking over for Kenny on the radio if he is moved to the booth with Joe. I like LaGreca, I guess it's cause I listen to The Michael Kay show on a daily basis and have gotten used to his voice. But for somebody who grew up a die-hard Devils fan, I think he does a good job with Rangers PBP.
    Agreed. Met him at a Mets game, seems like a decent guy. Regular guy-ness a big plus.

  15. #55
    Member Mite Division richterforever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New Hartford N.Y.
    Posts
    94
    Rep Power
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    Of course. Most Rangers fans also like John Amirante, who I also can't stand because he's like 120 years past his expiration date.

    I completely recognize, appreciate and admit that I'm in an extreme minority in both cases.
    I completely agree. John Amirante needs to go. When i watch a Chicago home broadcast and Jim cornelison belts out the anthem, it sends chills up and down the spine. New York needs someone like that.

  16. #56
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    80,813
    Rep Power
    354
    Quote Originally Posted by richterforever View Post
    I completely agree. John Amirante needs to go. When i watch a Chicago home broadcast and Jim cornelison belts out the anthem, it sends chills up and down the spine. New York needs someone like that.
    Right. Someone who can actually sing well.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

  17. #57
    Banned Mite Division EtemFast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    42
    Rep Power
    0
    When I saw this thread title, I figured it would read...

    "HAHA, Sam Rosen... Have fun with Staal, Stalberg, and Stoll this year! Better hope the Rangers don't add Eric Staal at the deadline."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •