Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 57

Thread: HAHA, Sam Rosen......

  1. #21
    Senior Member Junior Division
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    9,145
    Rep Power
    58
    Love Sam. He's wrong about his called about 50% of the time but he's the voice of the Rangers, period. There's no reason to force him out. He should go when ever he wants.
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

  2. #22
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    80,814
    Rep Power
    354
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    Love Sam. He's wrong about his called about 50% of the time but he's the voice of the Rangers, period. There's no reason to force him out. He should go when ever he wants.
    That's actually exactly why you would force someone out of a job — they fail to perform to their duties.

    But he's got a legacy position here. He'll go out when he wants to. Just like Slats did.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

  3. #23
    Senior Member Junior Division
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    9,145
    Rep Power
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    That's actually exactly why you would force someone out of a job — they fail to perform to their duties.

    But he's got a legacy position here. He'll go out when he wants to. Just like Slats did.
    "Fail to perform their duties" applies more to a job that matters if you succeed or fail, IMO. If he calls Zuccarello "St. Louis" that doesn't actually matter, you know? It doesn't ruin the telecast.
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

  4. #24
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ Junior Division
    Keirik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    9,284
    Rep Power
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    That's actually exactly why you would force someone out of a job — they fail to perform to their duties.

    But he's got a legacy position here. He'll go out when he wants to. Just like Slats did.
    Well, that's a little bit of a bad comparison. Slats directly influenced the outcome and future of the organization. Sam just announces it. I think a few of us had this conversation in the past. I like Sam and "the gang" just for the feel good aspect of the team. When most of us watch, we live and die with each period of each game (GDT shows that lol). I'm all for some aspects that might make me feel more relaxed and at home with the team I grew up loving. Sam brings that still just for his legacy alone. It's the same with a John Amirante. There are some 9 year olds that can do a better job at the anthem these days but it doesn't matter. He and Rosen are part of the fabric of the team. That shouldn't be fucked with too much if possible.

    In the case of Amirante, I think he is getting pushed out just for the sheer fact that MSG is convinced he died a few years back and just hasn't realized it yet.

  5. #25
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    80,814
    Rep Power
    354
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    "Fail to perform their duties" applies more to a job that matters if you succeed or fail, IMO. If he calls Zuccarello "St. Louis" that doesn't actually matter, you know? It doesn't ruin the telecast.
    Depends who you are asking. What about for kids who are first learning the game and are trying to figure out who is who? They constantly hear Zuccarello called St. Louis they'll associate the same mistake.

    It may not be a massive problem, but it's still a problem.

    But as I said above, that's not really the issue for me. For me, it's the lazier style he has to calling games these days. He's more interested in a bar conversation like he's just throwing back cold ones with an old friend than he is calling the actual game. I can't tell you how many times goals are scored in games where "...and that one went in!" is his goal call, because he wasn't even close to following the action.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

  6. #26
    Senior Member Junior Division
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    9,145
    Rep Power
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by Keirik View Post
    Well, that's a little bit of a bad comparison. Slats directly influenced the outcome and future of the organization. Sam just announces it. I think a few of us had this conversation in the past. I like Sam and "the gang" just for the feel good aspect of the team. When most of us watch, we live and die with each period of each game (GDT shows that lol). I'm all for some aspects that might make me feel more relaxed and at home with the team I grew up loving. Sam brings that still just for his legacy alone. It's the same with a John Amirante. There are some 9 year olds that can do a better job at the anthem these days but it doesn't matter. He and Rosen are part of the fabric of the team. That shouldn't be fucked with too much if possible.

    In the case of Amirante, I think he is getting pushed out just for the sheer fact that MSG is convinced he died a few years back and just hasn't realized it yet.
    Which is sad. While he's pretty much a horrible singer at this point, that's not what matters. Same with Sam.
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

  7. #27
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    80,814
    Rep Power
    354
    Quote Originally Posted by Keirik View Post
    Well, that's a little bit of a bad comparison. Slats directly influenced the outcome and future of the organization. Sam just announces it. I think a few of us had this conversation in the past. I like Sam and "the gang" just for the feel good aspect of the team. When most of us watch, we live and die with each period of each game (GDT shows that lol). I'm all for some aspects that might make me feel more relaxed and at home with the team I grew up loving. Sam brings that still just for his legacy alone. It's the same with a John Amirante. There are some 9 year olds that can do a better job at the anthem these days but it doesn't matter. He and Rosen are part of the fabric of the team. That shouldn't be fucked with too much if possible.

    In the case of Amirante, I think he is getting pushed out just for the sheer fact that MSG is convinced he died a few years back and just hasn't realized it yet.
    And because he can't do his job very well anymore. That does matter. Legacy is great, so long as you aren't a detriment. If legacy mattered as much as you are saying it does, Messier would still be playing center here.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

  8. #28
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    5,030
    Rep Power
    97
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    But as I said above, that's not really the issue for me. For me, it's the lazier style he has to calling games these days. He's more interested in a bar conversation like he's just throwing back cold ones with an old friend than he is calling the actual game. I can't tell you how many times goals are scored in games where "...and that one went in!" is his goal call, because he wasn't even close to following the action.
    I think that's a good thing.

    If I'm watching the game, I don't need someone telling me exactly what I'm looking at. TV sports broadcasting, hockey especially, emulates radio way too much.

  9. #29
    Senior Member Junior Division
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    9,145
    Rep Power
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    Depends who you are asking. What about for kids who are first learning the game and are trying to figure out who is who? They constantly hear Zuccarello called St. Louis they'll associate the same mistake.

    It may not be a massive problem, but it's still a problem.

    But as I said above, that's not really the issue for me. For me, it's the lazier style he has to calling games these days. He's more interested in a bar conversation like he's just throwing back cold ones with an old friend than he is calling the actual game. I can't tell you how many times goals are scored in games where "...and that one went in!" is his goal call, because he wasn't even close to following the action.
    But for me and you watching the game on TV we know what's happening. When know when a goal is scored, we don't need Sam to figure it out for us. Joe and Sam will debate something for 5 minutes when everyone at home already knows the answer.
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

  10. #30
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    80,814
    Rep Power
    354
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    I think that's a good thing.

    If I'm watching the game, I don't need someone telling me exactly what I'm looking at. TV sports broadcasting, hockey especially, emulates radio way too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    But for me and you watching the game on TV we know what's happening. When know when a goal is scored, we don't need Sam to figure it out for us. Joe and Sam will debate something for 5 minutes when everyone at home already knows the answer.
    That's not what PxP is for. It's for when you are not looking at the screen, which I do often. Cooking dinner, cleaning up, soon-to-be changing diapers, on the computer, whatever. It's there to keep me in the loop with the game while my eyes aren't affixed to the screen.

    So no, it's not a good thing when he's rambling about nonsense, a goal is scored, and I have to look up to see what happened because I can't even rely on him to tell me what I missed.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

  11. #31
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ Junior Division
    Keirik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    9,284
    Rep Power
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    And because he can't do his job very well anymore. That does matter. Legacy is great, so long as you aren't a detriment. If legacy mattered as much as you are saying it does, Messier would still be playing center here.
    Well, i personally think you nitpick on him a bit too much. He's certainly not the best play by play man out there but I find him far from a detriment. Again, players, coaches, scouts, managers, etc, are not comparable in my book. They directly affect the outcome of the club. Sam does not. That, to me, is precisely the reason I can say his legacy matters.

  12. #32
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    80,814
    Rep Power
    354
    Quote Originally Posted by Keirik View Post
    Well, i personally think you nitpick on him a bit too much. He's certainly not the best play by play man out there but I find him far from a detriment. Again, players, coaches, scouts, managers, etc, are not comparable in my book. They directly affect the outcome of the club. Sam does not. That, to me, is precisely the reason I can say his legacy matters.
    Sam, to me, is like any other television personality. You still have a job to do. When you can't do it well, you're a detriment. But I'm probably extra hard on him because I watch hockey to enjoy and hear about the Rangers, not the fucking Yankees bullpen.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

  13. #33
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ Junior Division
    Keirik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    9,284
    Rep Power
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    Sam, to me, is like any other television personality. You still have a job to do. When you can't do it well, you're a detriment. But I'm probably extra hard on him because I watch hockey to enjoy and hear about the Rangers, not the fucking Yankees bullpen.
    And i do get that. I totally do. I definitely do think it depends solely on how you watch the telecast. If you are multitasking as you say, it can be a lot more frustrating. Sometimes listening to sports on the radio can be frustrating depending on how good or bad teh guy is at painting a realistic picture of what's going on since you cannot see it. If i'm home during the game, I pretty much plant myself and watch the game with as minimal distractions (no kids lol).

  14. #34
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    80,814
    Rep Power
    354
    Quote Originally Posted by Keirik View Post
    And i do get that. I totally do. I definitely do think it depends solely on how you watch the telecast. If you are multitasking as you say, it can be a lot more frustrating. Sometimes listening to sports on the radio can be frustrating depending on how good or bad teh guy is at painting a realistic picture of what's going on since you cannot see it. If i'm home during the game, I pretty much plant myself and watch the game with as minimal distractions (no kids lol).
    Well, I'll give you this much — the radio requires a good play-by-play voice. Someone who can actually paint the picture, as you say, efficiently. That's less true for TV, because you have the benefit of the visual, but it doesn't make it not true for television.

    Make sense?
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

  15. #35
    Senior Member Junior Division
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    9,145
    Rep Power
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    Well, I'll give you this much — the radio requires a good play-by-play voice. Someone who can actually paint the picture, as you say, efficiently. That's less true for TV, because you have the benefit of the visual, but it doesn't make it not true for television.

    Make sense?
    To me, a television play-by-play guys is there just to make things more exciting at key times. Doc is king. He calls the game like he's on the radio, which I find very exciting. But Sam doesn't have that same style and that's okay. He's fired up when the Rangers win in OT and score on the PP. Some times he misses a play here and there but a rangers moment isn't nearly as fun without his voice, IMO.
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

  16. #36
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    80,814
    Rep Power
    354
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    To me, a television play-by-play guys is there just to make things more exciting at key times. Doc is king. He calls the game like he's on the radio, which I find very exciting. But Sam doesn't have that same style and that's okay. He's fired up when the Rangers win in OT and score on the PP. Some times he misses a play here and there but a rangers moment isn't nearly as fun without his voice, IMO.
    Well, that's your opinion. You enjoy his voice, you enjoy his call. I don't. I know my brother doesn't. I have a few others friends who watch games who also could take him or leave him. You say that a Rangers moment isn't nearly as fun without his voice, but for me, some of the best Rangers' moments have come without his voice, and I didn't even think twice about it. I was too busy being elated.



    PxP exists to add excitement and to allow you to follow the game when you're not staring at the screen. He does an OK job of the former when he's paying attention, but it really hurts the latter when he isn't.

    At the end of the day, I like guys like Doc who, like you said, call games like it's on the radio. It actaully allows me to not have to pay as much attention to the screen at every second.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

  17. #37
    Growing Member Bantam Division McDougalfaschnitzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    1,274
    Rep Power
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post

    What drives me nuts with Sam is more the lazier calling style now because he's bullshitting about things that have nothing to do with the game.
    Not his fault though. That has been the trend with PBP originating with the national broadcasts, which are even worse at doing whatever they can to talk about anything aside from what is actually happening on the ice.

  18. #38
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    80,814
    Rep Power
    354
    Quote Originally Posted by McDougalfaschnitzer View Post
    Not his fault though. That has been the trend with PBP originating with the national broadcasts, which are even worse at doing whatever they can to talk about anything aside from what is actually happening on the ice.
    National hockey broadcasts? This isn't true in my experience. NBC games, for my money, do a tremendous job of covering the game when it's on, and fitting in the filler between whistles.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

  19. #39
    Growing Member Bantam Division McDougalfaschnitzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    1,274
    Rep Power
    19
    It all started with All Star games, in how they would be telling stories/anecdotes instead of calling the game. That bled into the normal games, where for some reason stuff that could easily be talked about between whistles was peppered into the play call. A lesser degree, yet equally annoying, thing to me is the thought that where a guy grew up and went to school and where he played in juniors or what minor team he played for is more imperative to the call than the actual action. That is something that I am just biased against haha. I think when I watch the national broadcasts I see/hear them the same way you might when you watch a game called by Sam. There are things that trigger you and detract from the experience.

  20. #40
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    5,030
    Rep Power
    97
    Quote Originally Posted by McDougalfaschnitzer View Post
    It all started with All Star games, in how they would be telling stories/anecdotes instead of calling the game. That bled into the normal games, where for some reason stuff that could easily be talked about between whistles was peppered into the play call. A lesser degree, yet equally annoying, thing to me is the thought that where a guy grew up and went to school and where he played in juniors or what minor team he played for is more imperative to the call than the actual action. That is something that I am just biased against haha. I think when I watch the national broadcasts I see/hear them the same way you might when you watch a game called by Sam. There are things that trigger you and detract from the experience.
    I find it annoying when, for absolutely no reason, Emrick throws out someone's home town.

    Emrick: Random 3rd liner, native of Moosejaw/Saskatchewan/Manitoba/Thunder Bay who played juniors in London Bay/Brandon/Calgary Hitmen moves it through the neutral zone and dumps the puck deep before heading off for a change.
    Peng: Yea, "player" was coached by "random guy" who really tought him how to be a tough/gritty/two-way player"

    Its the same crap over and over again and goals sneak up on him just like they do to Sam. He just yells "Scooooores so it doesn't seem so obvious.

    Also, a little piece of me dies every time he says "careening down the boards" or "OH MY GOODNESS"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •