• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Man Poses as Target on Facebook, Trolls the Shit Out of Gender Neutrality Complainers

Phil

Those are great.

On a side note, I have a friend who's got her doctorate in psychology in the area of gender studies. She's very happy about this move from Target. I know most of us here are guys so it might be hard to really internalize, but these gender based displays basically pigeon hole girls early on telling them what they should be. They tell girls through their play choices that they should be princesses, take care of babies, cook and clean. Boy toys on the flip side, tell them to be manual laborers or soldiers for the most part.

Those are great.

On a side note, I have a friend who's got her doctorate in psychology in the area of gender studies. She's very happy about this move from Target. I know most of us here are guys so it might be hard to really internalize, but these gender based displays basically pigeon hole girls early on telling them what they should be. They tell girls through their play choices that they should be princesses, take care of babies, cook and clean. Boy toys on the flip side, tell them to be manual laborers or soldiers for the most part.

I don't disagree at all with the logic behind it. I just feel like it's one of those things that didn't need to be "news" or even "fixed". I mean it's been this way for over half a century and we still have a healthy LGBT community in the country. I don't think children playing with toys are causing gender or sexually confusion, quite honestly. It's a drop in the social bucket.

Put it this way... Want to take down the Boys and Girls signs and just label the section Toys... All for it. Without the chest thumping and press. Just do it and shut up about it.

I don't disagree at all with the logic behind it. I just feel like it's one of those things that didn't need to be "news" or even "fixed". I mean it's been this way for over half a century and we still have a healthy LGBT community in the country. I don't think children playing with toys are causing gender or sexually confusion, quite honestly. It's a drop in the social bucket.

Put it this way... Want to take down the Boys and Girls signs and just label the section Toys... All for it. Without the chest thumping and press. Just do it and shut up about it.

Yeah, Target is doing it for one reason, they think they can make more money in some way.

I don't believe (and my gender researcher friend doesn't believe) that the genders are the same at all. Or that there was gender confusion being created. More like play is how children experience the world at first and it shapes some of their expectations. So if girls are always taught that they should play with dolls, kitchen sets and vacuums then it's shaping their expectations for their roles in the world. Now, there will be other factors at play, of course. Not every woman grows up to be a stay at home mom who takes care of the house. But, to be honest, that's the choice women are presented for the most part. "Will you be a working mom or stay at home". And sure, it's becoming a new choice for men lately, but I think that's because this change isn't sudden, it's been going on for a long time.

Yeah, Target is doing it for one reason, they think they can make more money in some way.

I don't believe (and my gender researcher friend doesn't believe) that the genders are the same at all. Or that there was gender confusion being created. More like play is how children experience the world at first and it shapes some of their expectations. So if girls are always taught that they should play with dolls, kitchen sets and vacuums then it's shaping their expectations for their roles in the world. Now, there will be other factors at play, of course. Not every woman grows up to be a stay at home mom who takes care of the house. But, to be honest, that's the choice women are presented for the most part. "Will you be a working mom or stay at home". And sure, it's becoming a new choice for men lately, but I think that's because this change isn't sudden, it's been going on for a long time.

Kind of what I mean. Some powerful women in the world grew up playing with an EZ Bake Oven. Just sayin.

The only thing I find funny is how lofty his trolling techniques are.

Feminine Hygiene products, by definition, are not gender neutral. Physiologically, a only a woman would need a tampon, pad, or other form of menstrual applicator. Even in the case of a transgender female, the definition would still be female.

As for Barbie, Transformers, and all that falls in-between. These have no gender signifiers, other than those assigned to them by society. Pink is in no way feminine, as blue is in no way masculine. Menstrual cramps, well...you get the point.

Look, no one is saying you can't congratulate a mother on having a boy or a girl, quite the opposite really. It's more that their genitalia doesn't necessarily dictate what they can, and should, play with.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/8530-Pink-Is-Not-The-Problem

Archived