Thread: Steve Greeley Named AD of Player Personnel, Nikolai Bobrov Director of Euro Scouting

Shawcappella BSBH Prospect

Steve Greeley Named AD of Player Personnel, Nikolai Bobrov Director of Euro Scouting

I don't know if it really warrants a new thread, but the Rangers also made two important scouting changes.

http://www.blueshirtsunited.com/arti...nnel-additions

Nickolai Bobrov becomes the new Head European Scout replacing Anders Hedberg.

Steve Greeley becomes the new Assistant Head of Player Personnel. I'm don't recall if he retained the title while assistant GM, but Gorton had held the position before.

Scouting staff is getting a bit younger.

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    It's summer time, might as well.

Anyone have a little insight as to the accolades of either? Or why the Rangers are replacing Hedberg in the first place?

Looks like Greeley has been an associate head coach at Boston University for the last two years, so there's the obvious BU/Boston connection to the Rangers (Kreider, Hayes) and Gorton, who I believe is from the Boston area.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

I'm a little in the dark about the both of them despite having heard Greeley's name before.

Not sure about the Hedberg move. There really hasn't been any word of it. He's been Head of European Scouting for the last couple of years. Could be age, I don't know. Even if he isn't involved with the team directly I could picture him still remaining in the loop. He's had some good finds over the years.

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Right. Wasn't he credited with getting them Fast in the sixth round most recently?
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Fast was his pick. I believe he had say in acquiring both Erixon and Lindberg. I'd even assume that most of this European heavy draft for the Rangers was his doing.

He didn't really hit any home runs here, but he did a solid job. I wouldn't have wanted him any larger of a role because he was awful at drafting with Toronto.

I figure Gorton might be comfortable in bringing Bobrov in form their time working together in Boston. Might expand where they make their picks from. The Rangers normally focus on Sweden for picks. Could see that widen with Bobrov who has a bit more variation from what I've looked up.

Moderator Junior Division
    They all worked together in Boston, so I would think familiarity has something to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    They all worked together in Boston, so I would think familiarity has something to do with it.
    Bobrov and Gorton did. Greeley is kind of out of nowhere.

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew a Penalty View Post
    Bobrov and Gorton did. Greeley is kind of out of nowhere.
    D'oh, Greeley was at Boston U, not Boston Bruins. Brain fart lol

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Greeley is an important internal hiring. More than just impacting scouting, he is essentially now 2nd in command of player personnel for the Rangers.
    Before BU, Greeley was a scout for the LA Kings for 7 years, his last 4 scouting NHLers for the Kings head of personnel. He also spent 3-4 years as a scout for the US National team. Quite a bit of experience for a guy only 34.