Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What's the Etymology of Your Handle/Forum Name?

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Chappie View Post
    Dave did you play the BF42 mod Desert Combat?

That's where my names roots lie. Back in 04ish, maybe 03? I used to go by Hawkeye online. Believe it or not, back then it was actually an uncommon name. I played mostly Day of Defeat and some Counter-Strike. The clan I played DoD with got me to play a mod of Desert Combat called Desert Combat Extended, which adjusted the way certain jets flew, upped damage slightly and just made tweaks on the original mod that helped add some depth. I liked it a lot, but there wasn't a huge community for it. One day, the server I played on had a couple of guys from a competitive DC team called Legends Of the Restful Dead came on. I befriended them since I was the best pilot in the game at that point, and they eventually offered me a spot on their team since their pilot had left for another team. This was exciting for me since LORD was the best team in DC for most of the mods time. Hawkeye, unfortunately, was a name that didn't work with the theme though, since you actually had to name yourself after a dead legend, preferably one who had some kind of military/warrior connection. I wasn't overly thrilled with that, but I ultimately went along with the name Chappie, after general Douglas "Chappie" James, who served in WWII as an Tuskegee airman instructor, and flew in combat in Korea and Vietnam, eventually becoming the first 4 star African American general.

As a younger guy I thought it was pretty cool. Now I'm very meh on it, but I have used it enough that I'm not comfortable with change.
    I'm not even much of a gamer but that's a pretty sweet story.

Sighing Dutchman BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanJesus View Post
    I always think you're a science fiction writer from the early 1900's.
    Worst thing is, my last name kinda sounds like his too. So I'll tell people my name and they go, "Jules Verne?!" Yeah, no. Another bonus: my last name is a more common first name in the US, and again, quite often amongst black males. It's a gift that keeps on giving.

Quote Originally Posted by CreaseCrusader91 View Post
    Given his wife, I could see him journeying a few leagues under the sea.
    ::slow clap::
    Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
    Hidden Content

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by High and Wide View Post
    My first name was JustForSticks1194. I thought it was a pun. It was dumb. Glad I've retired it.

The next was Mr. Smith. It's my last name and nickname at every job I've had.

Current name is High and Wide, because it's where the majority of Ranger's shots end up(Don't give me statistics disproving this. Ignorance is bliss.).
    I'm disappointed....I thought your name meant that you enjoyed puffing the chronic and you're rotund like myself.

The artist formerly known as Mr. Smith Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Ba Ba Bluey View Post
    I'm disappointed....I thought your name meant that you enjoyed puffing the chronic and you're rotund like myself.
    I do enjoy the bubonic chronic, but I am less rotund these days.
    Hidden Content

Did everything just taste purple for a second?

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Seriously J, next summer make a lot of these posts about a week before the nominations kick in. The Zucc award will be yours.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Falco View Post
    Dan is my first name. Forrest Gump happens to be one of my favorite movies so i just randomly started gaming with this handle one day. I did want to change my name recently though and saw I couldn't do it. Have you guys removed that option?
    Update required, Footsteps.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by High and Wide View Post
    I do enjoy the bubonic chronic, but I am less rotund these days.
    Congrats on the less rotund-ness. Keep up the good work brother..

Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    Seriously J, next summer make a lot of these posts about a week before the nominations kick in. The Zucc award will be yours.
    Nah man, next year Jimmy "Patrick" Bateman will be eligible...

Deleted Midget Division
    I live in Toronto, and I love NYR.

Congrats on the less rotund-ness. Keep up the good work brother..

Nah man, next year Jimmy "Patrick" Bateman will be eligible...
    Hence why you will need to time it well. Like Giacomin did this year to compete against Pete and the users who lazily vote for him without even considering the alternatives for the Cherry and Boogaard awards!
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    Hence why you will need to time it well. Like Giacomin did this year to compete against Pete and the users who lazily vote for him without even considering the alternatives for the Cherry and Boogaard awards!
    Touche...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345