Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the Etymology of Your Handle/Forum Name?

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend

What's the Etymology of Your Handle/Forum Name?

It's still summer and it's still boring. In the spirit of the Unpopular Opinions threads, let's see if this one might generate a little fun too...

For anyone who has changed their name, feel free to explain past names as well, if they're more fun and you think others will remember.

p.s. For Mikey, etymology is a ten dollar word for "meaning" or "history".

--

Rome 2.0 is just a web 2.0 play on my old WBB original handle, which was Rome Wasn't Built in a Day — an idiom to represent important work taking time.

I often think of changing it because it just looks weird without the "wasn't built in a day" part, but it might also be really weird for me to have a totally different name tomorrow since there's a little bit of history built into it already.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Clean Slate, Grab It! NYR BSBH Prospect
    Well I started at Johnnydollaz18, as you all know, Dollaz is my nickname, i'm pretty sure I explained on here how I got the nickname, but if not, i'd be willing to tell the hilarious story again. lol

Switched it to StacksOfDollaz9, wanted something with Kane and my name and Phil came up with that one, ran with it for one year, before ultimately changing it back to my original one.

Dollaz is a nickname I had passed down to me, had since the 4rd grade and it has stuck with me. Some even think it's my last name, teachers in HS called me Dollaz, but as half of the forum knows, from having me on Facebook, Dollaz is no my actual last name. lol

Boom BSBH Prospect
    Was originally NYRangersfan22392. But that was too long. My 15 year old self thought it was unique and creative to capitalize NYR and have angers lower-case. 22392 is my birthday.

The Dolphin Whisperer BSBH Rookie
    As an edgy 15 year old, I made a forum handle based on The Matrix characters Morpheus and Trinity. Why? No fuckin' clue. I hadn't even seen The Matrix at that point.

Shawcappella BSBH Prospect
    Old username was HL30MR35. Just short for Henrik Lundqvist 30 Mike Richter 35. It was my old handle on Blueshirts United back when that was a message board. I was obsessed with goaltenders at the time and it seemed fitting that I pick Lundqvist, my favorite, and Richter who backed the team to the Cup. I've had a couple of name changes on here, returning to it once, but I kind of just wanted to ditch it. I liked it, but also felt it was representative of older me (pun intended) and wanted to establish myself in a different way.

Drew a Penalty is just trying to use my name, Drew, in a clever hockey way. Really nothing to it beyond that. I think I finally found the handle I'll stick with.

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphinity View Post
    As an edgy 15 year old, I made a forum handle based on The Matrix characters Morpheus and Trinity. Why? No fuckin' clue. I hadn't even seen The Matrix at that point.
    HA! I was actually always curious about yours.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    HA! I was actually always curious about yours.
    Yeah, I try not to call too much attention to it lol

Moderator Junior Division
    I just really loved Mekhi Phifer in 8 Mile

Clean Slate, Grab It! NYR BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    I just really loved Mekhi Phifer in 8 Mile
    Both are awesome! Always wondered what yours was, Ray. I loved the Matrix trilogy.

Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    I was originally Dru23 when this forum started, I just carried it over from WBB when I came over here. I loved Drury and was so excited when he came to the team. When I came here, it was twords the end of his career, and I had wanted to change my name one here. So I went with NYR2711, the NYR is self explanatory, and the 27 has been my number in hockey and lacrosse, plus one of my favorite players was Kovalev, he was my first Rangers jersey, and the 11 is for Messier, my favorite player of all time. I have thought about changing it again, but haven't been able to think of a good one.

//reported Junior Division
    my name is philip bell.
    i roll lots of blunts - used to use phillies specifically.
    sometimes phillyb is taken on forums, so i started adding the ™ symbol more recently to avoid that.
    Out: Girardi, Klein, Stepan, Raanta
    In: Shattenkirk, Desharnais, Pavalec, DeAngelo/Bereglazalov/Pionk

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnydollaz18 View Post
    Both are awesome! Always wondered what yours was, Ray. I loved the Matrix trilogy.
    For the record, I was kidding lol

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    I've had four recent usernames that people might know me by:

NoControl
    downTime
    Dave's Not Here
    AmericanJesus

NoControl and AmericanJesus are after Bad Religion songs. NoControl was basically the first consistent username I ever used online. Prior to that, it was a different one for each service. I used to play an old first person shooter called Deus Ex Multiplayer. They've made a bunch of new editions, but only the original had a multiplayer, which was done as a patch after the initial release back in 2001. The MP game play was awesome, but had garbage support from the developers. Last I checked there was still a handful of people playing it 14 years later.

Anyway, I was NoControl in that and was in a number of competitive clans (yes, I was a geek then too). I was the equivalent of a mod in that community, in that I created clans, helped run servers, clan and community forums and help guides for the new players. Eventually I stopped playing as competitively and changed my name to downTime as in, I'm done being serious with this and instead it's just a hobby now.

Dave's Not Here was my first username here after coming over from the old WBB forum. As I wasn't among the first wave and was probably seen as part of "them" at that point. I was a mod that stayed until Dunsel packed up and left and I kept anonymity for a while here. My first name is Dave and thought it was a clever play on my anonymity using the famous Cheech and Chong sketch.

And that's way more information than you wanted to know about my username history.

Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    It's my name.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It's my name.
    Fuck that's confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanJesus View Post
    I've had four recent usernames that people might know me by:

NoControl
    downTime
    Dave's Not Here
    AmericanJesus

NoControl and AmericanJesus are after Bad Religion songs. NoControl was basically the first consistent username I ever used online. Prior to that, it was a different one for each service. I used to play an old first person shooter called Deus Ex Multiplayer. They've made a bunch of new editions, but only the original had a multiplayer, which was done as a patch after the initial release back in 2001. The MP game play was awesome, but had garbage support from the developers. Last I checked there was still a handful of people playing it 14 years later.

Anyway, I was NoControl in that and was in a number of competitive clans (yes, I was a geek then too). I was the equivalent of a mod in that community, in that I created clans, helped run servers, clan and community forums and help guides for the new players. Eventually I stopped playing as competitively and changed my name to downTime as in, I'm done being serious with this and instead it's just a hobby now.

Dave's Not Here was my first username here after coming over from the old WBB forum. As I wasn't among the first wave and was probably seen as part of "them" at that point. I was a mod that stayed until Dunsel packed up and left and I kept anonymity for a while here. My first name is Dave and thought it was a clever play on my anonymity using the famous Cheech and Chong sketch.

And that's way more information than you wanted to know about my username history.
    What games did you play competitively?

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars BSBH Prospect

What's the Etymology of Your Handle/Forum Name?

Dan is my first name. Forrest Gump happens to be one of my favorite movies so i just randomly started gaming with this handle one day. I did want to change my name recently though and saw I couldn't do it. Have you guys removed that option?

Sticks Out For Harambe BSBH Prospect
    I grew up playing baseball and was a catcher. Didn't have money or ability to play hockey, but was drawn to goalies and their gear. I knew what it was like to be so close to a batter swinging a bat and how it hurt when you got hit, so I grew a better appreciation for what goalies go through in a position where pucks and bodies fly at them.

I'm a huge Batman fan as well and he is known as the Caped Crusader as he wears a cowl.

Goalies wear a mask and defend the crease. Therefore I thought the merger of CreaseCrusader makes sense. HL is our CreaseCrusader defending Gotham.

The 91 is just for my Birthday of September 1, and was a number I used in sports.
    Hidden Content
    “Practice isn't the thing you do once you're good. It's the thing you do that makes you good.”- Malcolm Gladwell

Senior Member Bantam Division
    First initial middle initial last name, not afraid to hide things so it doesn't matter to me to let people know who i am. Probably stupid but don't really care.

What games did you play competitively?
    DXMP and Battlefield 1942. That was it. It was DXMP exclusively for a few years, then the guys I played with moved to BF42 and I did that for a couple years. This is going back to the early 2000's.

Well, I played a little NHL 2013 (or so) primarily as a goalie online as well.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast