Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rangers Sign [F] Jarret Stoll to 1-Year/$800K Contract

Senior Member Midget Division
    This came out of nowhere. I like it. Adds another battle tested vet that can win faceoffs. I think this move makes us stronger and he's going to want to earn a much bigger contract next season.

Let's talk about stickers Junior Division
    Insurance in case Lindberg isn't ready.

Senior Member Junior Division
    I like it. Now our center depth isn't a question. I'd like to see Hayes moved to wing anyway.
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    He's 33, so he's coming to the Rangers in a similar fashion to the way Dominic Moore did. His first deal was one-year/$1M at the age of 32. He proved his worth and the Rangers rewarded him with a two-year deal.

Stoll will be in a similar position, where this contract is being signed at 33, and he'll be hoping for a two or three-year deal for his next (and potentially last) NHL contract.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyb™ View Post
    i'm down with this.
    i don't want moore to center the third line, but we'll see how this pans out.
    I don't think Stoll means anything different for the third line. He'll be competing with Lindberg for a roster spot. If both Moore and Stoll are in the lineup, we've suffered an injury at C, most likely.

@NYP_Brooksie: Stoll no risk/potential high reward at $800,000...Gives NYR righty faceoff guy, size, strength down middle. Spot for Glass seems in jeopardy

--

Stoll can play all three forward positions, for the record.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    Have to go over to the unpopular opinion thread and post that Moore is much better in that role than Stoll.

In which role? Fourth line C?
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Bantam Division
    I see Stoll as 3rd line center primarily for faceoffs and then maybe Hayes shifts back to center or just straight up move Hayes to wing. I like it

Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    In which role? Fourth line C?
    Fourth line center and as a fill in 3rd line center.

Here's the risk. With something to prove, he has a lights out camp/preseason. But he slowly fades because he's a big physical guy who's been in the league a long time. In the meantime, he's cost someone else not just a starting spot, but a spot on our team because of our cap situation. If it's Glass, that might be OK, but if it's Lindberg or Moore, we may end up feeling it.

Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    Not a bad deal, givesus a good third line player with MSL and Hags gone. Cant complain about this deal at all, hopefully he helps our faceoff woes as well.

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanJesus View Post
    Fourth line center and as a fill in 3rd line center.

Here's the risk. With something to prove, he has a lights out camp/preseason. But he slowly fades because he's a big physical guy who's been in the league a long time. In the meantime, he's cost someone else not just a starting spot, but a spot on our team because of our cap situation. If it's Glass, that might be OK, but if it's Lindberg or Moore, we may end up feeling it.
    I don't really see the harm here. I think you're projecting an unrealistic worst case scenario.

The way I see it, Stoll is coming in to compete for the fourth-line center spot, where Hayes likely moves to wing and Dom Moore, by matter of his having been in the position for a time last season and trust/tenure, is given the third-line center position.

It's not as though Stoll means, by default, that a guy like Lindberg is shut out. It could, as you said, spell doom for someone like Glass instead.

Zuccarello/Brassard/Nash
    Kreider/Stepan/Miller
    Etem/Moore/Hayes
    Stålberg/Stoll/Fast
    Lindberg

Maybe something like this?
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Some analytics for perspective:

Stoll, 33, carries a lifetime face-off percentage of 55.4 percent. He had just 17 points in 73 games last season with L.A., but he’s a playoff-tested player with two Stanley Cups on his resume. The Rangers have had some issues with winning the Big One the last several years during their window of opportunity.

Stoll’s shot attempts were at plus-34 on the Kings, though his shot attempts relative were at minus-5.7 percent, which meant Los Angeles had more shot attempts at the opposing net when Stoll wasn’t on the ice.

Then again, Stoll drew more defensive than offensive assignments for the Kings. He averaged 1:30 of penalty kill ice-time per-game, second-most amongst Kings forwards. Also, Los Angeles' top lines were full of puck possession monsters.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...145859760.html
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division mbob's Avatar
    Hayes seemed to play better at center then wing though only a small sample of games. I like this signing also for the strength down the position.

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    You can never have too many centers, especially ones that can move to wing
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    I don't really see the harm here. I think you're projecting an unrealistic worst case scenario.

The way I see it, Stoll is coming in to compete for the fourth-line center spot, where Hayes likely moves to wing and Dom Moore, by matter of his having been in the position for a time last season and trust/tenure, is given the third-line center position.

It's not as though Stoll means, by default, that a guy like Lindberg is shut out. It could, as you said, spell doom for someone like Glass instead.

Zuccarello/Brassard/Nash
    Kreider/Stepan/Miller
    Etem/Moore/Hayes
    Stålberg/Stoll/Fast
    Lindberg

Maybe something like this?

While we improve draw possession with those two acting as our 3/4 centers, I hate what they do to our offensive capabilities. I'd be more inclined to go with something like:

Etem - Hayes - Fast
    Stålberg - Moore - Stoll

And then just use Stoll or Moore for defensive/important draws on the 3rd line. Thinking about it, that would give us one of the top 4th lines in the league. Very versatile. Some speed, great on draws, good size, strong defensively and some offense. Especially if Stoll has a bounce back season. Could end up with 3 - 25ish point players there.

Senior Member Midget Division
    This is going to be a very interesting camp. So much movement this off season. 1 year 800k for a two time cup champ and penalty killer. how can you argue. plus not like he's 35 y/o.

While we improve draw possession with those two acting as our 3/4 centers, I hate what they do to our offensive capabilities. I'd be more inclined to go with something like:

Etem - Hayes - Fast
    Stålberg - Moore - Stoll

And then just use Stoll or Moore for defensive/important draws on the 3rd line. Thinking about it, that would give us one of the top 4th lines in the league. Very versatile. Some speed, great on draws, good size, strong defensively and some offense. Especially if Stoll has a bounce back season. Could end up with 3 - 25ish point players there.
    Sure, something like that might work as well.

Stoll effectively ends up used in the same manner Moore has been the last two years. Especially the first year in. Even when not playing center in games, he's taking very important draws, especially in the D-zone, especially late in games to protect a lead, etc.

I do get the feeling this will probably close the door on both Lindberg and Glass, or potentially Lindberg if they think they can carry Glass as an extra to deploy in extra physical games. But however the chips fall, they fall. That's on AV and the coaching squad to put together the team they feel gives them the best chance to win.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Bantam Division
    I sure as hell didn't see this coming.. I though we were done.. Based on term, this is a great move.

Moderator Junior Division

Etem - Hayes - Fast
    Stålberg - Moore - Stoll

That's what I would think.

Problem is that it leaves no room for Lindberg. I think 4th line wing is his job to lose.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast