Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lundqvist: 'I've questioned why we're not more pissed off after a loss'

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend

Lundqvist: 'I've questioned why we're not more pissed off after a loss'

In a recent interview with a Swedish outlet, Lundqvist gave fans a peek into how he prepares for each NHL season. The story is a study in perfectionism and determination, and according to a translation posted on Reddit of the story, Lundqvist questions everything he and his teammates do to see if they can improve. That questioning extends as far as anger after losses.

"I've questioned why we’re [the Rangers] not more pissed off after losses," Lundqvist told Expressen.se reporter Magnus Nystrom.

The comment seemed to be less about the Rangers' actual desire to win and more about Lundqvist striving to be a better player in every way. When asked who he thought was the best of the best in terms of bullheaded players, Lundqvist championed Hockey Hall of Famer Peter Forsberg.

"He was determined and wanted to win at any cost. You could tell on the ice, so clearly," Lundqvist said to Nystrom. "He just decided. This is going to happen. Not every player has that quality."
    "The day you think you can’t get any better is the day you’ll see your competition ahead of you," Lundqvist said to Nystrom. "You can always get better, there are always things you can be better at."
    http://www.foxsports.com/nhl/story/l...-a-loss-080615

--

Maybe I'm reading between the lines too much and interpreting a message that isn't there (we all know this'll be chalked up to not being properly translated if it goes south), but am I the only one who sees this as a bit of a calling out of his teammates and the "effort" given by them after big losses? I'm thinking most aptly to the playoffs, where they've come up short of the big prize despite three Conference Final berths and a Cup Final berth in the last four years.

I know the Foppa talk is partly because he's also Swedish, but it reads like a measuring stick in a lot of ways to me, where he's almost challenging his teammates to emulate Forsberg's drive and determination. Not a bad idea, certainly, but as he himself said, it's not a quality everyone has. I'm curious how this kind of thing might affect the room?
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Everyone deals with a loss differently. Some losses you just chalk up to "you have to lose sometimes", other losses should definitely piss you off. The leadership group isn't exactly fire and brimstone.

I do the same thing

Moderator Junior Division
    Its pretty par for the course, across all pro sports, that fans want athletes to be more upset when they lose.

Senior Member Midget Division
    I've been saying this for a while...Hank is usually the only guy legit pissed off after losses. Like Pete said, everyone deals with losses differently. Maybe Hank takes it more personal because he's our last line of defense and the spotlight tends to be on him a majority of the time.

This is also why I think Hank is the default captain of this team. At least vocally..

And perhaps others really don't let it bother them because they don't actually care, or care very much. Like guys who have terrible playoffs, and then say shit like "I thought I played pretty well".
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    And perhaps others really don't let it bother them because they don't actually care, or care very much. Like guys who have terrible playoffs, and then say shit like "I thought I played pretty well".
    Well when this is your first line:

Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    Of all the shots at Nash, this is one of the worst.

Because you can illustrate that he actually does care, or cares to the same level as Lundqvist?

The funny thing about "caring, but not showing you do" is that no one can tell the difference. That's awfully convenient.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

It goes both ways. You don't know that he doesn't care...besides, an assessment of your own game is a complete separate thing than being happy/upset with the results.

Of course I don't know that he doesn't care. I assume he doesn't, because his impact on the game usually takes a sharp left turn south by Christmas every year. He's usually the most valuable goal-scorer in the league from the drop of the puck to X-Mas. From there on it's a slow and steady ride down the hill. Which probably ends at the porch of his Canadian cottage he retreats to in the summer.

He gives me little reason to think otherwise.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    I think all of the players care. Some more than others, but they all care. In this instance, I'd be curious to know how the guys laying out to block shots feel about this comment. Did he text G, McD, Klein, and Staal after this interview saying he didn't mean them ?
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey37 View Post
    I think all of the players care. Some more than others, but they all care. In this instance, I'd be curious to know how the guys laying out to block shots feel about this comment. Did he text G, McD, Klein, and Staal after this interview saying he didn't mean them ?
    I don't think he needs to text anybody. Hank is the best goalie in the league and he is a leader, i'm sure nobody on the team took it personal. Hank is a very passionate player and he is also an elite player, can't expect everybody to get pissed like he does. I do like when players break their sticks though

Quote Originally Posted by NYR View Post
    I don't think he needs to text anybody. Hank is the best goalie in the league and he is a leader, i'm sure nobody on the team took it personal. Hank is a very passionate player and he is also an elite player, can't expect everybody to get pissed like he does. I do like when players break their sticks though
    So if you were a Ranger, you wouldn't care about his comments? If not, maybe Hank's right.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

So if you were a Ranger, you wouldn't care about his comments? If not, maybe Hank's right.
    Is his comment insulting? It's the truth and if a player cared about his comments then i guess he is the player he is talking about. We watched the team get shut out in games 5 and 7 at home and nobody did shit. Nobody got nasty, aggressive, nothing. He is right and the players that might feel funny should show some more emotion next time. Might send a jolt of life through the bench when our guys decide to go through the motions and be passive

Quote Originally Posted by NYR View Post
    Is his comment insulting? It's the truth and if a player cared about his comments then i guess he is the player he is talking about. We watched the team get shut out in games 5 and 7 at home and nobody did shit. Nobody got nasty, aggressive, nothing. He is right and the players that might feel funny should show some more emotion next time. Might send a jolt of life through the bench when our guys decide to go through the motions and be passive
    I'd say they were pretty pissed after game 5 being that they came out and scored 40 goals in game 6. He can say whatever he wants, express how he feels, etc ... Just keep it in the room.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

I'd say they were pretty pissed after game 5 being that they came out and scored 40 goals in game 6. He can say whatever he wants, express how he feels, etc ... Just keep it in the room.
    So they weren't angry anymore in game 7? They seemed content in game 7 and got shutout in front of the home crowd. Hank did his job. We lit Bishop up in game 6 and couldn't get a puck past him in game 7 and nobody seemed worried at all. On a team with Nash, Yandle, McD, Brassard, Stepan, Kreider, Boyle, nobody stepped up and took control.

I doubt he said it in a malicious way and maybe putting it out there will actually help. We need some vocals from our leaders once in a while.

Maybe it's because they take their cue from their coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Maybe it's because they take their cue from their coach.
    Pete makes an excellent point. All have vanilla post games and rarely show emotion. Hank is the only exception.

Quote Originally Posted by Ba Ba Bluey View Post
    Pete makes an excellent point. All have vanilla post games and rarely show emotion. Hank is the only exception.
    #missingtorts

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast