• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Computer Thread

NYRangers92

I dont feel like searching for a years old thread so...

I'm back in the market for a new laptop and I have no idea what to get in this oversaturated market.

• Dont want to spend more than like $600-700
  • Don't need something super powerful since I mostly just use web-based stuf nowadays
  • Not a huge fan of mobile OS-powered tablets due to their short lifespan
  • Would prefer a screen size between 13-15"
  • battery life irrelevant

Some sort of Windows 10 tablet or transforming laptop thing seems best I would feel. Thoughts?

i like those convertible laptops a lot for every day use.

but architecturally i don't think they're built the same as a laptop would be, per se.

at my job, we install software on people's computers and we notice oddities with those detachable-keyboard-thingy-majiggers.

if i were to shop for a computer in that price range, i'd look at a small laptop. i guess you'd get windows 10 and a massive hard drive, but just load up on the ram and processor.

idk.

link stuff you've been looking at.

Honestly, I was really impressed with the Dell XPS 13. I used it last weekend and I was surprised how much I liked it. I think it starts around $800 and it doesn't have that tablet capability either, so it's probably not your type, but I just figured I'd throw it out there.

I also am a fan of the Chromebooks if you're not planning on using it for anything other than Internet stuff. Honestly, you can do pretty much anything through the internet or web-apps these days.

If you are doing mostly web based stuff, why not just get a Chrome book? It is a good option if that is your primary goal.

I'm a fan of the Yoga though, and that would be a nice laptop for what you are looking to do.

I also 2nd the XPS. Core i5 and 4GB of ram is plenty for basic usage. I have a MacBook but my work PC is a Lenovo Thinkpad T430i. It is a base i3, but I have 8GB of ram. Works just fine for everything and can multi task with numerous opens Windows RDCs, Photoshop etc.

I really, really don't dig the whole "tablet/laptop" thing. I don't get the point. There's never a time I'm using my laptop and thinking, "Damn I really wish this was a tablet right now."

Yea, yet everyone wants their tablet to be a laptop. Weird.

I really, really don't dig the whole "tablet/laptop" thing. I don't get the point. There's never a time I'm using my laptop and thinking, "Damn I really wish this was a tablet right now."

As someone who works in the car at all times, I love love love having a tablet. It's much easier to use a tablet up against a steering wheel rather than a laptop and all that.

As someone who works in the car at all times, I love love love having a tablet. It's much easier to use a tablet up against a steering wheel rather than a laptop and all that.

Well you need a free hand to shoot minorities...So....

As far as brands go, You can't go wrong with ASUS. Toshiba, Acer and Lenovo are good brands as well. I would stay away from HP though, I've never had an HP that didn't break down at some point. I'm always skeptical about Dell laptops, I've heard some good and some bad, but I usually stay away.

If you want a pure 100% laptop without the 2 in 1 stuff, then look at this one http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i5-6gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-matte-black/8373015.p?id=1219691060120&skuId=8373015. Otherwise, just go in and look at whats on sale.

As for what to look for...well thats a bit different. If its RAM you're looking for, 4GB is the standard, 6 is probably the most you need for web based stuff. 4GB should be good enough. When it comes to processors, Intels are generally considered the cream of the crop, although AMD make some pretty good mobile processors as well. If your just web browsing, just consider that since Intels are considered better, you might pay more then you would an AMD. OS wise, Windows 10 will always have tablet capabilities, but honestly its not that bad. You can easily customize the setup to be more like a desktop.

Haha well I'm typing this on my 5 year old HP. It technically works fine besides the hole it burns in my desk from the heat and it's inability to run on battery power alone for more than 2 hours and it's inability to run multiple programs without freezing and

Also that Asus looks real good. Is it not even out yet? Says coming soon.

I like it. I used windows 8.1 for the past year and I liked that too, once you get around the bullshitty tablet parts and add a 3rd party start menu screen it was a solid OS. My boot time was about 10 seconds (OS is on an SSD though). Windows 10 is basically the version of 8.1 I had customized, just with the added effect of DX12 and a few new features which i quickly disabled (cortana and the Windows App store)

I'll be coming from Windows 7. I used Windows 8 for a bit on the school computers last year and found it rather confusing, but I didnt use it long enough to get a good feel. Is the transfer screen between the tried and true taskbar homepage and the tablet one more intuitive in 10 than it is in 8?

Two things:

We have 6 different "computers" in my 3 member household and that doesn't count cell phones. I have a desktop, my wife and I have a laptop, we have a convertible ASUS tablet, we got my daughter a Kindle Fire on sale and I have an Ipad that i use for testing purposes. We got the convertible thinking we'd use it 50-50 as a quick laptop or tablet, with our actual laptops more for travel or when my wife works at home. In reality, the only time we use the keyboard is if we are traveling, don't really need my wife's laptop as well as mine, but there's an outside possibility she might have a work thing pop up where she needs to type something long. We've had it for over a year, and have used the keyboard maybe 10 times. Probably less. And half those times were when we first got it.

As far as a laptop, you're not going to see a huge performance difference for what you're describing. So to me, it comes down to the extras that might be important. Are you going to watch movies? Check out the graphics/sound. For me, the big issue considering your use will always be keyboard/mouse pad comfort. Every laptop I've been really happy with, I've been able to go from my desktop to laptop without having it effect my typing speed and never accidentally left clicking when I'm trying to right click. The one's I've disliked the most are where the keyboard feels alien, making for far more typos and where the touch pad doesn't respond the way I think it should.

So go into Best Buy, take some time really trying them out for feel. Then go find that model or a very close one with the same layout online cheaper.

Sound isnt the most important since I have solid external speakers. I really don't take it on the go often, so weight isnt too important either. Although a big reason for not taking it around is because it's borderline useless unless I can plug it in. I'd like to be able to use it in places that aren't my desk. The keyboard comfort is a big thing, I'd say. The one on my HP is weird. Everything feels shifted to the left, so other people can't really type on my computer because they aren't used to it, and I have trouble typing on other keyboards at first because I'm used to mine. I'm gonna have to get a new wireless mouse because the USB attachement for my current one kinda broke and is actually stuck in the port in my computer.

Also, what are some good review sites aside from PCMag, CNET, and Engadget?

That price range will be tough for a convertible. I do IT professionally as some here know, 15+ years. Toshiba and Acers, are the cheapest made models so I'd stay away. Lenovos are more Biz class but, they are solid. The new HP Ultrabooks are top notch, pricey but good stuff. The Yoga 3's we deploy a lot, they're beautiful and fast and do not see a lot of problems with.

Archived