Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Computer Thread

Boom BSBH Prospect
    I'll be coming from Windows 7. I used Windows 8 for a bit on the school computers last year and found it rather confusing, but I didnt use it long enough to get a good feel. Is the transfer screen between the tried and true taskbar homepage and the tablet one more intuitive in 10 than it is in 8?

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    Two things:

We have 6 different "computers" in my 3 member household and that doesn't count cell phones. I have a desktop, my wife and I have a laptop, we have a convertible ASUS tablet, we got my daughter a Kindle Fire on sale and I have an Ipad that i use for testing purposes. We got the convertible thinking we'd use it 50-50 as a quick laptop or tablet, with our actual laptops more for travel or when my wife works at home. In reality, the only time we use the keyboard is if we are traveling, don't really need my wife's laptop as well as mine, but there's an outside possibility she might have a work thing pop up where she needs to type something long. We've had it for over a year, and have used the keyboard maybe 10 times. Probably less. And half those times were when we first got it.

As far as a laptop, you're not going to see a huge performance difference for what you're describing. So to me, it comes down to the extras that might be important. Are you going to watch movies? Check out the graphics/sound. For me, the big issue considering your use will always be keyboard/mouse pad comfort. Every laptop I've been really happy with, I've been able to go from my desktop to laptop without having it effect my typing speed and never accidentally left clicking when I'm trying to right click. The one's I've disliked the most are where the keyboard feels alien, making for far more typos and where the touch pad doesn't respond the way I think it should.

So go into Best Buy, take some time really trying them out for feel. Then go find that model or a very close one with the same layout online cheaper.

Boom BSBH Prospect
    Sound isnt the most important since I have solid external speakers. I really don't take it on the go often, so weight isnt too important either. Although a big reason for not taking it around is because it's borderline useless unless I can plug it in. I'd like to be able to use it in places that aren't my desk. The keyboard comfort is a big thing, I'd say. The one on my HP is weird. Everything feels shifted to the left, so other people can't really type on my computer because they aren't used to it, and I have trouble typing on other keyboards at first because I'm used to mine. I'm gonna have to get a new wireless mouse because the USB attachement for my current one kinda broke and is actually stuck in the port in my computer.

Also, what are some good review sites aside from PCMag, CNET, and Engadget?
    Last edited by NYRangers92; 08-07-2015 at 10:02 AM.

Senior Member Midget Division
    That price range will be tough for a convertible. I do IT professionally as some here know, 15+ years. Toshiba and Acers, are the cheapest made models so I'd stay away. Lenovos are more Biz class but, they are solid. The new HP Ultrabooks are top notch, pricey but good stuff. The Yoga 3's we deploy a lot, they're beautiful and fast and do not see a lot of problems with.
    You can fix stupid, you can't use stupid as an excuse. -Mikey37

Boom BSBH Prospect
    I'll have a better idea of what I want exactly after tomorrow. Do you deal with Chromebooks in your position or not really?

Boom BSBH Prospect
    Just back from Best Buy. Kinda fell in love with this Lenovo. Keyboard is one of the bet I've used.
    http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/lenovo-edge-15
    2nd and 3rd place are the Dell Inspiron 7000 13/15 inch.

I even did some sort of which laptop fits your needs best quiz on some site and it recommended me the Lenovo haha
    Last edited by NYRangers92; 08-08-2015 at 06:29 PM.

Boom BSBH Prospect
    Anyone see any reason why I shouldnt get this one?
    http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Ideapad...o+ideapad+500s

Might pull the trigger on it today. It has pretty much everything I had in mind, newest specs, and is only $30 over my initial budget (which is what i would be spending with shipping anyway, but this has free shipping from amazon)

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRangers92 View Post
    Anyone see any reason why I shouldnt get this one?
    http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Ideapad...o+ideapad+500s

Might pull the trigger on it today. It has pretty much everything I had in mind, newest specs, and is only $30 over my initial budget (which is what i would be spending with shipping anyway, but this has free shipping from amazon)
    If you're good with the money then pull the trigger. My roommate had a Lenovo that I basically just stole from him - though it was a couple years older - and it worked fine.

I think 8GB RAM is a bit excessive, depending on what you do, but it certainly doesn't hurt to have.

Boom BSBH Prospect
    8GB is pretty much the standard now. My 2010 laptop has 6GB and it struggles with some things (like opening a program that isnt chrome)

Quote Originally Posted by NYRangers92 View Post
    8GB is pretty much the standard now. My 2010 laptop has 6GB and it struggles with some things (like opening a program that isnt chrome)
    Well, it's 5 years old lol

I bought one almost exactly two years ago that's only 4GB and, even when I'm streaming games or watching Netflix/HBOGo/whatever, it never really freezes. Sometimes it slows down a bit and needs to be refreshed, but I can't think of it ever freezing. Like I said before, I think a lot of it just depends on what you actually do.

His name is... BSBH Prospect
    Extra ram is never a bad thing. You really don't want to skim on ram or processor, get the max out of your budget in those respects.

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Chappie View Post
    Extra ram is never a bad thing. You really don't want to skim on ram or processor, get the max out of your budget in those respects.
    This. You're never going to look back and say, "that laptop was good, but it just had too much RAM I wasn't using". Or "It processed things too quickly. I never got to wait around".

Boom BSBH Prospect
    yeah I ordered it. Came to like 660 with tax but free shipping. If i dont like it for whatever reason I have until January 31 to return it

The Dolphin Whisperer BSBH Rookie
    There are limitations though. Your motherboard, processor, and even Windows can only support a certain amount of RAM. For instance, if you're on a 32 bit version of Windows, then you can only use 4GB of RAM.

There are definitely diminishing returns too. A normal person will not use 32GB of RAM. Hell, they'd have trouble using 16GB if you're not gaming or doing something like video editing.

His name is... BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphinity View Post
    There are limitations though. Your motherboard, processor, and even Windows can only support a certain amount of RAM. For instance, if you're on a 32 bit version of Windows, then you can only use 4GB of RAM.

There are definitely diminishing returns too. A normal person will not use 32GB of RAM. Hell, they'd have trouble using 16GB if you're not gaming or doing something like video editing.
    They can't now. In two years time though, with 16gb's and the best processor your motherboard can handle (lol 32 bit) you've future proofed yourself to a large extent, and while it won't be the fastest rig in two years, it'll still handle tasks on the upper end of the spectrum.

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanJesus View Post
    This. You're never going to look back and say, "that laptop was good, but it just had too much RAM I wasn't using". Or "It processed things too quickly. I never got to wait around".
    Yea but you can look back and say "I wish I saved that $200"

That's more my point. Personally, I'd rather have the extra money and 6GB than 8GB that I don't fully utilize.

Boom BSBH Prospect
    Anyone here use a bluetooth mouse?

Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Bluetooth track pad. What's the???

Boom BSBH Prospect
    Is it better than a wireless USB mouse?

Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    It's for a mac. I love it. Not sure if there is one for PC.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast