Thread: NHL Announces 6-Year/$1.2B Deal with MLB Advanced Media to Run NHL.com, Digital Dev

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend

NHL Announces 6-Year/$1.2B Deal with MLB Advanced Media to Run NHL.com, Digital Dev

One year ago, Forbes Magazine called MLB Advanced Media “The Biggest Media Company You’ve Never Heard Of.”

As of Tuesday, hockey fans can brag they know.

MLBAM, already the streaming-video provider for HBO, ESPN and World Wrestling Entertainment (among others), closed a deal with the NHL to run GameCentre Live, Centre Ice, the NHL Network, NHL.com and the individual team websites for the next six years. (The video rights are worldwide, minus Rogers-controlled Canada and the Scandinavian countries.)

So, how does this affect you?

First, much to the relief of teams, players and agents, it will provide a revenue boost at a time the salary cap is flattening. According to several sources, the deal was first presented to the Board of Governors at the June meeting in Las Vegas. NHL COO John Collins would not confirm these figures, but word is the league valued the deal at $200 million per year.
    The NHL did a test run of player tracking technology at last season’s All-Star Game, but ran into roadblocks in attempts to use it on a more regular basis.

“We were struggling with costs,” Collins said. “The chip added… $200 per puck, which would not allow you to do the things you like to do with them. They are shot into the crowd, people keep them. Players, officials like to give pucks to fans. It’s not something we wanted to take away.

“When we met with [MLBAM], their answer was, ‘We can do this… We’ll need time, but we can do it.’”
    http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/a...ip-with-mlbam/

--

Lots more in link.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Resident Garbage Clown BSBH Prospect
    I have MLB.tv and I love it. I dunno how much anything will change really.

Let's talk about stickers Junior Division
    Better picture quality. Don't know how the NHL version is other features. With MLB you can check all player stats from around the league and it has interactive stuff.

Sticks Out For Harambe BSBH Prospect

MLB Advanced Media to Take Over NHL's Online Operations in 2016

This is going to be a major addition for stats tracking, and information if it is done right. MLB Advanced Media is really well put together and we could see variations of stuff like this http://m.mlb.com/news/article/685145...yze-every-play

You could have shot velocity, hit impact based on distance traveled, skating speed and point of collision. Tracking of shots going wide and deflections and stuff like that. Also could allow for better tracking of stats and understanding of Advanced Stats to point that they come common to understand. This is a great thing.
    Last edited by CreaseCrusader91; 08-04-2015 at 02:30 AM.
    Hidden Content
    “Practice isn't the thing you do once you're good. It's the thing you do that makes you good.”- Malcolm Gladwell

Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by CreaseCrusader91 View Post
    This is going to be a major addition for stats tracking, and information if it is done right. MLB Advanced Media is really well put together and we could see variations of stuff like this http://m.mlb.com/news/article/685145...yze-every-play

You could have shot velocity, hit impact based on distance traveled, skating speed and point of collision. Tracking of shots going wide and deflections and stuff like that. Also could allow for better tracking of stats and understanding of Advanced Stats to point that they come common to understand. This is a great thing.
    I think that stuff is exceedingly harder to track in a sport like hockey in real time.

Baseball moves a lot slower and there's time between pitches to browse the peripheral stats.

With hockey being so much faster, I'd wonder how much digestible information they'd be able to pull.

Sticks Out For Harambe BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I think that stuff is exceedingly harder to track in a sport like hockey in real time.

Baseball moves a lot slower and there's time between pitches to browse the peripheral stats.

With hockey being so much faster, I'd wonder how much digestible information they'd be able to pull.
    I doubt it would be realtime unless NHL goes through with the tracking company that did AllStar Game, but they could do some after the fact stuff for a highlights show to run on NHL Network etc.
    Hidden Content
    “Practice isn't the thing you do once you're good. It's the thing you do that makes you good.”- Malcolm Gladwell

@frank_seravalli: According to @sbjsbd, NHL media deal with MLBAM (streaming, web, NHL Net) valued at $1.2B over 6 yrs: http://t.co/InEDsQdUDG
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Boom BSBH Prospect
    Don't know if it means anything but they do post game highlights really quickly. Like within minutes of them occurring.
    I also like what they do with the roster pages. You have depth charts, transactions, prospect rankings, etc all within the site. Don't have to go the minor league affiliate's external site to find out info.
    If you have free time look around a baseball team's site to see what they do differently.
    Theyre also big on embedded videos.

Quote Originally Posted by NYRangers92 View Post
    Don't know if it means anything but they do post game highlights really quickly. Like within minutes of them occurring.
    I also like what they do with the roster pages. You have depth charts, transactions, prospect rankings, etc all within the site. Don't have to go the minor league affiliate's external site to find out info.
    If you have free time look around a baseball team's site to see what they do differently.
    Theyre also big on embedded videos.
    As in proprietary video? That's actually a draw-back for me. It's one of the things I can't stand about the way the NHL operates at the moment.

The goal of video content should be to drive users to your site, I agree, but part of the allure is actually allowing it to be viewed and embedded elsewhere on the 'net. Blogs, for example. Nothing pisses me off faster than some player scoring a great goal, and then reading about it on a blog like PuckDaddy where they can't even embed it, so I have to view it on NHL.com with a thirty second commercial every time.

Just host it on fucking YouTube like the rest of the normal world. The same way you post clips of most other highlights on the NHL's official YouTube account.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Boom BSBH Prospect
    MLB videos are embeddable, though. For example: http://deadspin.com/a-j-pierzynski-h...run-1721980646
    There's even an easy share option to embed in facebook or twitter

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    MLB is the king of stats and numbers keeping so this will only help. Not sure how good NHL.com is, but I know with MLB I can go directly into MLB.com and find stats on a player deep in the minor league system

Would you be able to plug one into something as simple as a vBulletin forum though? Like this one?

That's key. Forums are still part of the "blogger" culture of sports. They're still very much a place fans go to interact and discuss their favorite players, teams, etc. with other fans. So the harder you make it on them (the fans) to do something as simple as linking to a big hit or fight or goal, the more annoyed I am, personally. That's actually been my biggest gripe with proprietary video for years. Same as it's drawn my ire with Twitter changing GIFS over to fucking MPEG videos.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Boom BSBH Prospect
    Can you embed non-youtube videos here? As in videos from another site like vimeo

Yes, supported videos include Hulu, YouTube, Vimeo, DailyMotion, Metacafe, Google and Facebook.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Boom BSBH Prospect
    FWIW MLB does have a Youtube page where they post highlights, so I guess the status quo can be maintained in that regard.

His name is... BSBH Prospect

NHL Announces 6-Year/$1.2B Deal with MLB Advanced Media to Run NHL.com, Digit...

MLB.tv is also waaaaaaay better at bandwidth management. I never had issues with it in terms of skipping or lagging. If it happened, it was because of something on my end. NHL Game Center always skipped and the quality would go in and out of HD on my Xbox 360 and Xbox One.
    Last edited by JOHN; 08-04-2015 at 03:04 PM.

OP updated.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Deleted Midget Division
    Nhls gamecenter apps stink. Period. Anything will be an improvement. I say this as someone who has subbed since day one.

They call me Shaq Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by torontonyr View Post
    Nhls gamecenter apps stink. Period. Anything will be an improvement. I say this as someone who has subbed since day one.
    Agreed, and I dont see what the big deal is with the pucks. Put a net around the entire rink like there currently is in the defensive zone but have the new sections on wire and just lower/raise it at the end of the game so players can toss pucks/sticks to fans.
    ___________LETS GO RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!