Thread: Dustin Byfuglien to Boston Bruins?

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend

Dustin Byfuglien to Boston Bruins?

And if that’s the way he decides to play it, the obvious man out either now or at the deadline would be Byfuglien. At 30 he’s the oldest of the bunch and while he’s stayed relatively healthy through the years his physical style will inevitably take a toll, making a long-term extension both expensive and risky. Plus, the Jets have both Trouba and Tyler Myers who play the right side. While it’s impossible to replace his unique skill set, Byfuglien’s loss would be easier to cover than any of the others who will be looking for new contracts.

If the decision was made to move on from Big Buff, there would be a line of suitors willing to take on his blemishes (too many giveaways, selfish/dangerous play) to add his size, skating and offensive prowess to their blue line. And the sooner the deal is made, the higher the price that can be extracted.

When the Bruins dealt Milan Lucic—another physically dominant player with one year remaining on his contract—to the Kings at the draft, they acquired a first rounder, promising young goaltender Martin Jones (who was later flipped to San Jose for another first rounder), and defensive prospect Colin Miller. Byfuglien has more value than Lucic, and would likely command a more significant package that would include a player who could make an immediate impact, either in their top six up front or on the left side of their blue line. Picks and/or prospects may be part of the equation, but only as sweeteners.

Boston, a team in desperate need of blue line help, was at the center of Byfuglien rumors over the weekend. Hard to see the B's being a good fit, though, unless a significant salary went the other way to keep them out of cap hell. A deal centered around versatile forward Loui Eriksson, a first rounder (the Bruins have two next summer) and a solid prospect like Alexander Khokhlachev or Joe Morrow would work.
    http://www.si.com/nhl/2015/08/03/dus...-boston-bruins
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Former Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Byfuglien plays with an edge, toeing the line between physical and dirty (see: J.T. Miller's neck). Even with that, he's evolved into one of the premier offensive blue liners and is part of a small group including himself and Brent Burns that are effective either as a defenseman or playing up as a forward. It seems like top RHD are tough to come by, making Byfuglien a very interesting trade target.

The main thing I worry about as the Jets when moving Byfuglien is what you have left once he's gone. Myers had a great 24 games after being traded, but a lot of players show positive signs after being traded at the deadline. He was pretty bad in Buffalo, but maybe the change of scenery is all he needs.

He's a pending UFA with a $5.2M cap hit. Only 10 or 11 teams in the entire NHL can afford his cap hit, mostly bottom-feeders or teams with self-imposed salary caps well under the NHL's limit. I find it interesting that if the Kings decide to part ways with Voynov, they actually have the space to make a move without having to send a significant salary back. They could use a more reliable and contributing 2nd pairing defenseman than Matt Greene. Otherwise, the only teams I could see going for him are the Senators, Avalanche and maybe the Panthers. The Islanders have the space but not necessarily the need.

It should also be noted Byfuglien has a modified-NTC. I don't know the parameters whether he submits a list of teams he will allow a trade to or destinations that he doesn't want to end up in.

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Apparently the origins of this rumor came from Eklund. Why SI decided to run with that is beyond me. I guess it's August and we need something to talk about. Haggerty kind of dismissed it, but kind of didn't as well:

The same cap space clearance applies to Byfuglien, who has a $5.2 million hit entering the final season of his contract. His ability to play both big, heavy winger and puck-moving defenseman/power play quarterback would temporarily fill voids left by the departure of Dougie Hamilton.

If the Bruins make a trade for a defenseman I think it happens closer to training camp, or during training camp after they’ve had a chance to look at the seven or eight NHL-caliber defensemen they’ve already got under contracts. The one good thing about trading for San Jose’s 2016 first-round pick is that it allows the Bruins to potentially trade their own pick in a package for Byfuglien, Brent Seabrook or some other puck-moving defenseman who becomes available prior to the start of the season.
    http://www.csnne.com/boston-bruins/d...byfuglien-soon
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Junior Division
    I doubt Winnpeg wants to move him. He might be forcing a move or may have told them he doesn't intend on signing a new deal so they'd want to move him while they could. Still, that doesn't leave them with too much on the backend.

Enstrom is good, Myers might be, Stuart is steady and Trouba is solid but that doesn't exactly scream quality from a top 4 if they move Buff.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division Shanahammer's Avatar
    I can't see them making a move for him without opening other holes in their lineup.