Thread: A Closer Look at Emerson Etem

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend

A Closer Look at Emerson Etem

Much like J.T. Miller, a player that Dave Shapiro from Blue Seat Blogs thinks is a good comparison for Etem, the California-born forward was all over the Ducks' lineup and has spent significant time in the AHL in all 3 of his professional seasons with the Ducks organization. Last season Etem had 21 points in 22 games with the Norfolk Admirals and 10 points in 45 games playing with the Ducks while receiving just 12:24 TOI/G. To put that into perspective, in the 53 games he played with the Blueshirts last season the woefully misused Lee Stempniak averaged 12:53 TOI/G. Over the past two seasons Etem has been a better than a point-per-game player at the AHL level, which is a good sign for a winger that was drafted because of his dynamic offensive abilities. Playing primarily with modestly skilled bottom-six players hasn't done much to spark Etem's offense at the NHL level, but there have still been some good signs from the young forward during his time playing the NHL game.

Although there is room for improvement in regards to his play in his own end, Etem has shown that he can drive possession even if those magical hands of his haven't quite made the impact they have the potential to make at the NHL level. A cursory glance at his metrics also tells us that he does a lot of the little things right, even if it hasn't amounted to his team doing a lot of damage in the offensive zone while he is on the ice. I'm sure we've all seen this video a dozen times by now, but this is a prime example of what Etem can bring to the Rangers.

Emerson Etem is the kind of guy that is very rarely overpowered or outworked during a puck battle and his upper body strength is something that sets him apart from a lot of other NHL forwards.
    Etem finished the 2014-15 season with a PDO of 96.8% and a shooting percentage of 6.5% which should tell us that he was probably the recipient of some bad luck. With that being said, Etem has to find more consistency at the NHL level and hopefully a change of scenery and skating with a dynamic playmaker like Kevin Hayes will get Etem scoring the way he was in the WHL and in the AHL. However, it would be a mistake to expect Etem to step right in and instantly become a key cog in the Rangers' offense. With a secured spot in the Rangers' top nine forward group and more ice time than he was getting from Boudreau in Anaheim, Etem has a good chance to put it together and prove why many considered him to be a huge steal late in the first round back in 2010.
    http://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2015/...t-emerson-etem
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Former Moderator BSBH Prospect
    IMO Etem has a season very similar to the one Miller just had. Etem's 14-15 was very similar to Miller's 13-14, though Etem played more NHL games than Miller did in those respective seasons. Seeing a 30-point season out of him wouldn't surprise me and IMO is a relatively realistic expectation unless he has major chemistry with whoever his linemates are, be it Hayes and Fast/Stalberg or Kreider and Stepan.

Senior Member Junior Division
    It sucks to lose Hags because he's a known commodity and a great 3rd/borderline-2nd-liner. You know EXACTLY what you are going to get from him.

However, the upside on Etem is tremendous. Hopefully he can find a spark on a new team and really find a place on this team next year. Between him and Miller, the Rangers are really putting a lot of faith in two players who haven't really proven anything yet. Still, somehow, I'm incredibly optimistic they can get the job done.
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

Let's talk about stickers Junior Division
    I think he puts up 20 goals and 40-50 points.

The trouble Etem is going to run into, as the article predicts as well, is he's going to draw immediate comparison to the guy he was dealt for, who may end up playing along side Getzlaf and Perry in Anaheim this season. If he's slow to progress or doesn't really impress much out of the gate he'll be behind the proverbial eight ball in the eyes of a lot of fans who'll still be nursing the loss of Hagelin.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    The trouble Etem is going to run into, as the article predicts as well, is he's going to draw immediate comparison to the guy he was dealt for, who may end up playing along side Getzlaf and Perry in Anaheim this season. If he's slow to progress or doesn't really impress much out of the gate he'll be behind the proverbial eight ball in the eyes of a lot of fans who'll still be nursing the loss of Hagelin.
    I don't think fans will get on Etem, honestly. Fans love young guys with skill and he certainly has that. How aware is the average MSG fan of Anaheim Ducks stats? Probably not very. I honestly think Etem will be one of those guys people get behind early and stick with him even if not producing (ala Prucha, Zucc, etc.)
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    I don't think fans will get on Etem, honestly. Fans love young guys with skill and he certainly has that. How aware is the average MSG fan of Anaheim Ducks stats? Probably not very. I honestly think Etem will be one of those guys people get behind early and stick with him even if not producing (ala Prucha, Zucc, etc.)
    If by Thanksgiving Hagelin's got 12 goals and is playing huge minutes on a dominant Ducks' team and Etem is on our fourth line like he was theirs, I think you're gonna hear a lot of complaining.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Former Moderator BSBH Prospect
    If by Thanksgiving Hagelin's got 12 goals and is playing huge minutes on a dominant Ducks' team and Etem is on our fourth line like he was theirs, I think you're gonna hear a lot of complaining.
    Especially since every casual fan I've spoken to, who IMO are the majority of the people that attend games, are still upset that Hagelin was traded. He was definitely a fan favorite.

Luckily for those fans and Etem, I doubt Hagelin will play on the LW of the top line. Patrick Maroon played well in that role, and they also have other more talented offensive players like Silfverberg, Cogliano and even Jiri Sekac who got a look there. Heck, if top prospect Nick Ritchie makes the team, he's got the size and speed to have a good impact on that line.
    Last edited by Cash or Czech?; 07-30-2015 at 02:58 PM.

Raanta and Raving BSBH Prospect
    If the dude puts up 25+ points i'd be happy enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Cash or Czech? View Post
    Especially since every casual fan I've spoken to, who IMO are the majority of the people that attend games, are still upset that Hagelin was traded. He was definitely a fan favorite.

Luckily for those fans and Etem, I doubt Hagelin will play on the LW of the top line. Patrick Maroon played well in that role, and they also have other more talented offensive players like Silfverberg, Cogliano and even Jiri Sekac who got a look there. Heck, if top prospect Nick Ritchie makes the team, he's got the size and speed to have a good impact on that line.
    Maybe, yeah. I think Etem will do well, personally. The skill level is there, but he's still young, and we both know AV and young players/rookies can be problematic if it takes them a while to "get it". So he's gonna need to show something pretty early IMO.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Clutch View Post
    If the dude puts up 25+ points i'd be happy enough.
    25 pts would be slightly disappointing, IMO. For as high up the lineup as I think he might go, 25 would be low.
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

Senior Member Bantam Division NYRangers723's Avatar
    I liked hagelin but he was a third line player. We will miss his PK but etem has a much higher offensive upside

Moderator Junior Division
    25 pts would be slightly disappointing, IMO. For as high up the lineup as I think he might go, 25 would be low.
    Agreed. I think 35 should be more his target

a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    It sucks to lose Hags because he's a known commodity and a great 3rd/borderline-2nd-liner. You know EXACTLY what you are going to get from him.

However, the upside on Etem is tremendous. Hopefully he can find a spark on a new team and really find a place on this team next year. Between him and Miller, the Rangers are really putting a lot of faith in two players who haven't really proven anything yet. Still, somehow, I'm incredibly optimistic they can get the job done.
    Yes, share the optimism.

I love the Hags and will miss him more than I miss some other name players we've had to let go (Callahan), but the team lacked some ability to work the end boards and seemed outmatched in the offensive end against Tampa. Looked like it could use more of that size with skill combo.
    Miller's just starting to come into his own, and I think this will be a good environment for Etem as things progress.
    Feel like we're still missing something in the top-6, but that's not Etem's fault or challenge right now.

Quite possibly, but hope not.

If there's one thing I'm not doing, I will not look at Etem as a "replacement" for Hags, per se, but rather making the best of a sticky cap situation. I understand we got caught in a numbers trap with Hags, could no longer afford the ticket, and had to get something back. Most successful teams seem to have to do this somewhere along the way. Sucks with a player entering his prime years, but the top-of-market contracts we've given other players helped get us there.
    Last edited by Respecttheblue; 08-02-2015 at 11:19 AM.
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones
    Hidden Content

Etem isn't replacing Hagelin, he is a younger kid with potential on a cheap contract. There was no way we could have signed Hagelin anyway so the trade makes plenty of sense.

If Etem does break out and scores 18-24 goals and 40 points, he will probably be moved too since his price will go up. Of course we want him to break out but if he can hit 12-15 on the 3rd line, it's a solid year for him and something to build on and that's what i expect. 25-30 points should be fine for him.

Now if he really breaks out and scores 20 goals and puts up 50 points, then you have a decision to make.

We really need a cup because we won't be able to keep this team together for much longer if the cap doesn't go up. Losing players is much easier after you just won a cup. I can see one of the core guys going after this year

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Respecttheblue View Post
    Yes, share the optimism.

I love the Hags and will miss him more than I miss some other name players we've had to let go (Callahan), but the team lacked some ability to work the end boards and seemed outmatched in the offensive end against Tampa. Looked like it could use more of that size with skill combo.
    Miller's just starting to come into his own, and I think this will be a good environment for Etem as things progress.
    Feel like we're still missing something in the top-6, but that's not Etem's fault or challenge right now.

Quite possibly, but hope not.

If there's one thing I'm not doing, I will not look at Etem as a "replacement" for Hags, per se, but rather making the best of a sticky cap situation. I understand we got caught in a numbers trap with Hags, could no longer afford the ticket, and had to get something back. Most successful teams seem to have to do this somewhere along the way. Sucks with a player entering his prime years, but the top-of-market contracts we've given other players helped get us there.
    This is among many of the good posts here, and at least this board has a healthy perspective. Not that anyone is going to replace Hags game, but it seems apparent IMO that Fast is the frontrunner for defensive winger and #1 PKer. Like Hags he is an excellent skater (sneaky quick really), goes hard every shift, seems destined for the 3rd line duties this year, but can slot up.

Listening to Gorton's interviews, one could conclude they were seperate decisions. First Gorton seemed discontent about losing Hags (given what AV and Clarke said) and pissed about the return for Talbot. He then said the team had targeted 4-5 players (outside the goalie trade) the Rangers were interested in trading for. Etem was one of them. Anaheim wanted to get faster, loved Hags and offered to swap 2nds.

Since Gorton was pretty transparent, it is easy to like the way he seemed to go about business. Our Ranger's GM actually targeted younger guys with upside, size, speed and NHL experience from around the league. Turned a cap problem into a solution that fit a bunch of needs. That alone is good news.

More impressive is that our scouts were paying attention and likely understood Etem's recent performance, potential and current enigma situation with the coach. I like that we were on top of a player that was ripe for picking. And I developed an interest in him during the playoffs. Doesn't mean Anaheim didn't win the deal, in my opinion. But it is certainly reasonable to expect a win-win out of this.