Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Slava Fetisov's KHL Plan Would Block Buchnevich From Joining NHL

Resident Garbage Clown BSBH Prospect
    Maybe the most hypocritical stance going. I mean, really, the one guy who wanted out of Russia more than anyone is now conspiring to keep people in Russia against their will.

Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey37 View Post
    Isn't always about money? I can't hate on someone trying to get paid even if it doesn't walk the same path as I would.
    Im not against him making money, but when he fled Russia to play here, that was fine and dandy, but now that he is in charge, he is turning into the exact thing he hated and fled from. He is a hypocrite. Fuck him.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey37 View Post
    Isn't always about money? I can't hate on someone trying to get paid even if it doesn't walk the same path as I would.
    Yeah, but it's just so hypocritical of him. Even when he finally came to the US, he refused to something a lot of Russians agreed to in sending a large % of the money back to Russia. A lot of players initially agreed to that. It's almost like he's done a full 180 now. Lost a little respect for the man here.

Banned Midget Division
    just for arguments sake, put yourself in his shoes. what would u do?

Quote Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
    just for arguments sake, put yourself in his shoes. what would u do?
    I'm not sure if that's referring to me, but for argument's sake, in his shoes, i would not accept a job that required me to promote the forcible staying of athletes against their will until a certain age especially after what he went through and fought so hard to get rid of.

Banned Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Keirik View Post
    I'm not sure if that's referring to me, but for argument's sake, in his shoes, i would not accept a job that required me to promote the forcible staying of athletes against their will until a certain age especially after what he went through and fought so hard to get rid of.
    first off, he didn't realize that it would be such a problem with players leaving until he took the job. second, I would seriously doubt u would decline a position as a commish (or whatever his title is) of a league if you were qualified for it.

my question was for everyone, didn't refer to u specifically

first off, he didn't realize that it would be such a problem with players leaving until he took the job. second, I would seriously doubt u would decline a position as a commish (or whatever his title is) of a league if you were qualified for it.

my question was for everyone, didn't refer to u specifically
    Why would you seriously doubt it? If he didn't know this was going to happen in the first place then fine but that's taking things too literal. He can step down and not promote it like a puppet. Instead of resigning or standing against it, he is promoting largely a similar thing t hat he himself fought so hard to get out of.
    ... my story of leaving the Soviet Union; when I left, how I left, the fight against system and I beat the system. I could run, defect, but I think it was for the people of my country, to do something for them, to use my name and what I gain from the hockey. Finally I beat the system.

I opened the gate not only for the hockey players and by extension the NHL and the 30 clubs and to improve the quality of the game at the same time, but also you know it pulled down the Iron Curtain for the rest of the world. Any Soviet can go sign a contract with the acknowledgement of the government. This is no more evil country or system.
    http://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...urtain-nhl-khl

Hell, there are two documentaries out there recently going over his plight and struggle to be a "free" man and choose to ply his trade wherever and whenever he wants. Now he wants to be a part of limiting that and holding players against their will until the hockey federation deems it's okay at a certain age? Utter nonsense and very hypocritical. Under his plan, Sergei Pryakhin wouldn't even have been old enough to have done so since he was around 24 when they all were finally released. He was among the players who broke the barrier with Slava.

Banned Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Keirik View Post
    Why would you seriously doubt it? If he didn't know this was going to happen in the first place then fine but that's taking things too literal. He can step down and not promote it like a puppet. Instead of resigning or standing against it, he is promoting largely a similar thing t hat he himself fought so hard to get out of.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...urtain-nhl-khl

Hell, there are two documentaries out there recently going over his plight and struggle to be a "free" man and choose to ply his trade wherever and whenever he wants. Now he wants to be a part of limiting that and holding players against their will until the hockey federation deems it's okay at a certain age? Utter nonsense and very hypocritical. Under his plan, Sergei Pryakhin wouldn't even have been old enough to have done so since he was around 24 when they all were finally released. He was among the players who broke the barrier with Slava.
    I'm with u. it is hyprocritical of him, I'm just trying to put myself in his shoes. as far as quitting, its far fetched for anyone in that position. he's holding one of the most prestigious positions in Russia. quitting may not be in his and his family's best interest. I'm sure he'd rather drop this argument than quit.

Russia is trying to re-establish itself again as a world power. with the breakup of USSR they lost almost all their leverage in politics of the world as well as sports. You can see that with putin's war in Ukraine, Olympics and soon the world cup. Russia is trying to establish itself in sports as well by not being happy about their talent/players leaving for North America to play/live. they will most likely never be able to compete with NA in terms of salaries and benefits and overall management solely because of the strength of US dollar. Putting restrictions on people's freedoms hasn't stopped them before and I'm sure it won't in this case either. I will not be one bit surprised if Fetisov or with Putin's orders stops the mass exodus of Russian athletes

Senior Member Bantam Division
    I 110% get where Fetisov is coming from.. But I also think its 110% shite.

I'm with u. it is hyprocritical of him, I'm just trying to put myself in his shoes. as far as quitting, its far fetched for anyone in that position. he's holding one of the most prestigious positions in Russia. quitting may not be in his and his family's best interest. I'm sure he'd rather drop this argument than quit.

Russia is trying to re-establish itself again as a world power. with the breakup of USSR they lost almost all their leverage in politics of the world as well as sports. You can see that with putin's war in Ukraine, Olympics and soon the world cup. Russia is trying to establish itself in sports as well by not being happy about their talent/players leaving for North America to play/live. they will most likely never be able to compete with NA in terms of salaries and benefits and overall management solely because of the strength of US dollar. Putting restrictions on people's freedoms hasn't stopped them before and I'm sure it won't in this case either. I will not be one bit surprised if Fetisov or with Putin's orders stops the mass exodus of Russian athletes
    Well yeah it's far fetched until you realize it's the same guy who stood up to the Minister of Defense back in the 1980s, so to side with what he previously disagreed with when he was wearing the athelete's "shoes" seems just so wrong on many levels.

ಠ_ಠ BSBH Legend
    @SlavaMalamud: KHL will fire its president after less than a year on the job. Fetisov a strong candidate. Wants to block Russians from NHL.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    uh oh, this may not be so good for our Russian draft picks —*Shestyorkyn (sp.)? Buchnevich, anyone else? who else is at stake here for us?
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones
    Hidden Content

His name is... BSBH Prospect
    The only one that truly is a worry is Buchnevich. Our system needs a guy like him in it.

Moderator Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Respecttheblue View Post
    uh oh, this may not be so good for our Russian draft picks —*Shestyorkyn (sp.)? Buchnevich, anyone else? who else is at stake here for us?
    I'd imagine that they would have to grandfather those types of players to the old rule. I can't imagine a new president would be smart to come in and fuck over some of the best Russian products.

Raanta and Raving BSBH Prospect
    Fetisov is just pissy about Matteau still.

Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    I'd imagine that they would have to grandfather those types of players to the old rule. I can't imagine a new president would be smart to come in and fuck over some of the best Russian products.
    This is Russia, since when do they do whats right and follow the rules? Theyhave been poaching NHL players still under NHL contracts for year. Kovalchuk is a prime example.

Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by NYR2711 View Post
    This is Russia, since when do they do whats right and follow the rules? Theyhave been poaching NHL players still under NHL contracts for year. Kovalchuk is a prime example.
    NHL has been "poaching" much, much more.

ಠ_ಠ BSBH Legend
    Yeah, I was gonna say, I think it's been the case of the NHL poaching so much more. Who have the KHL truly lured outside of Kovalchuk and Jágr for a few years? Radulov I guess. But really, the list is so much heavier toward the NHL taking their talent than it is the reverse.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Who has the NHL snagged away from Russia by offering huge money? Drafting is way different than what Russia is doing. The NHL honors all contfacts that Russian players have with KHL teams, where the KHL doesn't and doesn't hide that fact.

ಠ_ಠ BSBH Legend
    This would predate the KHL, going back to the Russian Superleague.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast