Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is Dan Girardi One of the Most Overrated Players in the NHL?

Quote Originally Posted by Drew a Penalty View Post
    There are middle of the pack teams that are neither contenders nor in a rebuild that would likely take him. A team likely isn't even taking on the full $5.5M without sending back salary either. There would be plenty of teams with $2-3M in cap space that could take him on.
    And that's my question. Is it worth having one of those dmen we get back instead of G? Are the saving that imporant is my question and will that guy be worse than G?

Shawcappella BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by NYR View Post
    But you are not getting good value back is what i'm saying. G knows the system, the team, he has been here a long time. Why bring in a lesser player for 1.5 mil savings? Unless that 1.5-2 mil is needed.
    What does it matter if Girardi knows the system? That doesn't make him ideal for the system. He thrives because he stills play Tortorella hockey on Vigneault team. The actual system employs a skating two-way defense in which he is one of the weaker links.

His being around a long time also doesn't protect him at all. Players leave teams whether they've been there a year or seven.

You move Girardi because you can take on what is solid value for a player playing over his head as well conjuring up cap space.

And that's my question. Is it worth having one of those dmen we get back instead of G? Are the saving that imporant is my question and will that guy be worse than G?
    You say that if Girardi is very good though. He isn't. He's replaceable. He's the sidekick to whichever line partner he has. I'm sure the team could find a player in interim who could do the same and acquire a more suitable replacement by other means.

Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    I'm not doing your work for you (again). Anaheim was linked to him before he signed his extension. He's from just outside Toronto, and played in Buffalo growing up. Maybe either would be a welcomed destination for him? I have no idea.

My point is that you're making a lot of assumptions that you don't seem to have any evidence for that no one will give anything significant for him, that the Rangers will have to take a shit contract, that they'll have to pay whoever replaces him the same amount, etc.
    That rumor was Vatanen for Girardi right? I haven't heard about it since, i would do it though, i like Vatenen.

Toronto and Buffalo are rebuilding and G has a NMC. I doubt two rebuilding teams will give up assets for a 30 year old making 5.5. I never said they would have to pay them the same amount either.

I'm not assuming being realistic because of the salary cap. Who gives up a special prospect or pick for a 30 year old on a long term deal? The way our fans talk about him, he isn't worth anything. G has been to ECF and a cup and he is going to waive to go to a losing team? Those are unrealistic

You say that if Girardi is very good though. He isn't. He's replaceable. He's the sidekick to whichever line partner he has. I'm sure the team could find a player in interim who could do the same and acquire a more suitable replacement by other means.
    Do you have a replacement in mind?

We made it to ECFs and a cup with G on our top pair. He must be somewhat good

What does it matter if Girardi knows the system? That doesn't make him ideal for the system. He thrives because he stills play Tortorella hockey on Vigneault team. The actual system employs a skating two-way defense in which he is one of the weaker links.

His being around a long time also doesn't protect him at all. Players leave teams whether they've been there a year or seven.

You move Girardi because you can take on what is solid value for a player playing over his head as well conjuring up cap space.
    I agree, i just said that finding the team will be tough and the replacement needs to fit the team. Can't just trade him

Senior Member Junior Division
    True but you also need to factor in his contract. Even though he would be a good addition, teams might not be able to handle 5.5 mil without giving up a shit contract. Like i said, it's not worth it trading G for a lesser cheaper Dman and a prospect unless it's a really good prospect.
    Yandle and Boyle will not be back after this season. I assume the Rangers get a guy that fits future needs such as being right handed and able to play big minutes. Maybe even be an offensive D man. This is prior to Girardi being tradeable. Get that guy and start shopping Girardi around for a year. See who interested enough to maybe ask Girardi to wave the clause.

Even right NOW I feel Girardi can be replaced from within.

Klein, Yandle, Staal.. I understand two of those names are lefty. You shift them or McD to the right. Theyve done it before.

Do you have a replacement in mind?

We made it to ECFs and a cup with G on our top pair. He must be somewhat good
    And we lost with him. He's a good compliment, but not a top pairing player. He benefits from the team having a slew of left handed defenseman over the years, but few right handed defenseman. They let go of the one that was better than him and they've paid the price since.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey37 View Post
    I like Girardi. He represents everything a hockey player should be on, and off the ice. I think he'd be classified as "you don't realize what you have until it's gone". Is he perfect? No, but no one is. We can legitimately debate 50% of the contracts given out league wide, let alone just the Ranger roster. Is he overpaid for what his performance is on the ice? Probably, but as Sather said, his leadership is invaluable. There are certain things you can't hang a tag on, and he happens to carry several of those traits. Therefore, it makes his contract look bloated. I'm not saying he's entirely worth that contract, but I don't believe he's as overrated as some make him out to be.
    This is exactly how I feel about G, nailed it, thank you.

I agree, i just said that finding the team will be tough and the replacement needs to fit the team. Can't just trade him
    No said anything about just trading him, but you can't be stingy about getting a very good prospect and roster player. A one dimensional player like Girardi won't get that at his age and price. Like I said, look at the comparable players. Smid, Grossmann, Gorges, etc. They got picks or okay prospects. Not really roster returns. Girardi is only getting a tad more than they got.

What teams would make a move for Girardi? A rebuilding team with space wouldn't so i assume a contending team with very little cap space would. How do they afford him if they have no space?
    Why wouldn't a rebuilding team with space take a veteran top 4 stay at home defenseman? If anything thats who DOES take him with that cap hit. That or a desperate team like Edmonton, who need anchors back there.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Yandle and Boyle will not be back after this season. I assume the Rangers get a guy that fits future needs such as being right handed and able to play big minutes. Maybe even be an offensive D man. This is prior to Girardi being tradeable. Get that guy and start shopping Girardi around for a year. See who interested enough to maybe ask Girardi to wave the clause.

Even right NOW I feel Girardi can be replaced from within.

Klein, Yandle, Staal.. I understand two of those names are lefty. You shift them or McD to the right. Theyve done it before.
    How do you know Yandle will be gone? And i'm assuming stuff? McD to the right is a good way to get him hurt. He was a top 15 dman a year ago on his left.

You say G can be replaced from within but you don't tell me the player. What player replaces him from within?

Why wouldn't a rebuilding team with space take a veteran top 4 stay at home defenseman? If anything thats who DOES take him with that cap hit. That or a desperate team like Edmonton, who need anchors back there.
    Because they need to trade young assets/picks? Rebuilding teams usually don't do that.

i like Girardi to Edmonton. I would try to get Fayne

No said anything about just trading him, but you can't be stingy about getting a very good prospect and roster player. A one dimensional player like Girardi won't get that at his age and price. Like I said, look at the comparable players. Smid, Grossmann, Gorges, etc. They got picks or okay prospects. Not really roster returns. Girardi is only getting a tad more than they got.
    That's fair. We will need a NHL ready RH dman though

Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Not understand the question. There are always RD free agents out there, yet management never trades Girardi to sign any of the and i'm sure teams will take G in the offseason but the Rangers keep him. Maybe they just like him how he is.
    Well there aren't always RD UFAs. Sometimes there are and sometimes there aren't.

Maybe management does like him how he is.... They also liked Boyle and Glass. So management isn't infallible.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Well there aren't always RD UFAs. Sometimes there are and sometimes there aren't.

Maybe management does like him how he is.... They also liked Boyle and Glass. So management isn't infallible.
    And this management reached a ECF and a cup. Would have been back to back cup appearances if we were healthy. I would trust their judgement before an outsiders.

I think the Glass thing is more on AV to be honest. It sucks either way though

And we lost with him. He's a good compliment, but not a top pairing player. He benefits from the team having a slew of left handed defenseman over the years, but few right handed defenseman. They let go of the one that was better than him and they've paid the price since.
    Not only lost with him. But you could pin some blame on him and say they lost because of him. He stunk in the finals, and was a non factor in this years ECF. Yes, he was injured I know. And NO, im not blaming it all on him. He did not play well at all though.

Not only lost with him. But you could pin some blame on him and say they lost because of him. He stunk in the finals, and was a non factor in this years ECF. Yes, he was injured I know. And NO, im not blaming it all on him. He did not play well at all though.
    Nash sucked in the finals too, so did Stepan and McD. Who wasn't a non factor in this years ECF when you think about it? We looked like dog shit most of the playoffs.

How do you know Yandle will be gone? And i'm assuming stuff? McD to the right is a good way to get him hurt. He was a top 15 dman a year ago on his left.

You say G can be replaced from within but you don't tell me the player. What player replaces him from within?
    Yandle will be gone, just as Hagelin had to be gone. They can not afford to keep him without letting go of Kreider. I do not do that.

Mc D played the right side his first two years IIRC. Looked better there imo.

I did tell you the player. Klein, Yandle or Staal. THREE guys that can slot up.

Yandle will be gone, just as Hagelin had to be gone. They can not afford to keep him without letting go of Kreider. I do not do that.

Mc D played the right side his first two years IIRC. Looked better there imo.

I did tell you the player. Klein, Yandle or Staal. THREE guys that can slot up.
    They can trade Staal or G to keep Yandle. I would say he is more important

McD

Yandle

As your top 4 LD pairings is pretty good

None of those guys you mention are right handed. AV likes his right-left pairings, it's not happening. I wish he would play defenders on their offside but he doesn't

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast