Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rangers' Top Two Centers vs. Rest the of NHL's

Come get some! Junior Division

Rangers' Top Two Centers vs. Rest the of NHL's

I saw this today on facebook and thought it was very interesting. Not sure if it's 100% accurate but thought it was a cool topic to discuss. It really puts things into perspective if all of the numbers are in fact accurate.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Honor, Tradition, Respect... This is what it means to be a NEW YORK RANGER!

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    This kind of thing can't really be accounted for in this sense. The pedant in me wants to point out inconsistencies with UFA/RFA, and the fact it's about to change in a big way for the Kings with Kopitar, and probably San José as well depending on what happens with Thornton.

But not really accounting for all the details, it tells me (assuming the numbers are correct) that the Rangers are paying the "right" amount, in the correct range, for the kind of production commensurate with the cost.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Looks like we are on the right track center wise. Some of those teams missed the playoffs or they get knocked out early.

Senior Member Junior Division
    Kind of a cool stat. It makes us look pretty good honestly.
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

Deleted Midget Division
    To be fair, we're also the worst of that bunch. *edit* other than Buffalo.

Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by torontonyr View Post
    To be fair, we're also the worst of that bunch. *edit* other than Buffalo.
    Except for... You know... All the success.

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Did they calculate games missed in regards to Stepan last season?

Also factor in age, and statistic standing of forwards from age 24-29....

So much more to it than what we see here.

Deleted Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Except for... You know... All the success.
    Ehhhhh. What success? Most of those pairings have at least one Stanley Cup, if not a finals appearance, or two.

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Ehhhhh. What success? Most of those pairings have at least one Stanley Cup, if not a finals appearance, or two.
    Since Brassard and Stepan have been our top 2 I doubt many of any teams have had our success

Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    In the last 3-4 years? Nah. There's a lot of crap there. Old players. Big names. 1st or 2nd Round exits. Sexy names and not much else. Dig deeper.

Sticks Out For Harambe BSBH Prospect
    Three teams with 0 appearances. DAL, BUF, SJS. If that's criteria how are Rangers last?
    Hidden Content
    “Practice isn't the thing you do once you're good. It's the thing you do that makes you good.”- Malcolm Gladwell

Deleted Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by CreaseCrusader91 View Post
    Three teams with 0 appearances. DAL, BUF, SJS. If that's criteria how are Rangers last?
    I meant overall, but I addressed a reply. Oh, and you're wrong about appearances, but hey - who am I to judge.
    Last edited by torontonyr; 07-29-2015 at 12:06 AM.

Deleted Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    In the last 3-4 years? Nah. There's a lot of crap there. Old players. Big names. 1st or 2nd Round exits. Sexy names and not much else. Dig deeper.
    Just using your metric of success. There's a more or equal track record on the table.

I agree that there are some bloated names, mainly SJ, but I also think that most of those names were locked up at or near their primes. I'm not crapping on us, or our team, but you get what you pay for

Sticks Out For Harambe BSBH Prospect

Rangers' Top Two Centers vs. Rest the of NHL's

I meant overall, but I addressed a reply. Oh, and you're wrong about appearances, but hey - who am I to judge.
    As a tandem/pairing they don't. Seguin with BOS doesn't count as he was a winger.

The whole point is looking at current tandems so under that framework there are 0 in the teams listed. Of the other there are least one has a Cup or Final appearance.

Don't see why you are getting mad. You made a point about NYR being bad and then brought up success in sense of SCF win or appearance. No need to get snippy.
    Last edited by CreaseCrusader91; 07-29-2015 at 12:27 AM.
    Hidden Content
    “Practice isn't the thing you do once you're good. It's the thing you do that makes you good.”- Malcolm Gladwell

Moderator Junior Division
    Just using your metric of success. There's a more or equal track record on the table.

I agree that there are some bloated names, mainly SJ, but I also think that most of those names were locked up at or near their primes. I'm not crapping on us, or our team, but you get what you pay for
    If you get what you pay for...the Rangers probably have the most valuable combo, according to this table. They're the least expensive of the 11 but have the 5th highest point total. We don't have the top end center that some of those other clubs do, but only 2 or 3 have the same balance.

Not to mention the fact that those bloated names also skew the point totals (Chi, Car, Ana).

If you go by 2Cs, from this list, Brassard had point totals last year (60) better than all but Carter (62), Pavelski in (70), Spezza (62), Zetterberg (66) and Malkin (70). You have to give the edge to Brass over a guy like Spezza, who had 19 PP points that Seguin either scored or assisted on.

Deleted Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by CreaseCrusader91 View Post
    As a tandem/pairing they don't. Seguin with BOS doesn't count as he was a winger.

The whole point is looking at current tandems so under that framework there are 0 in the teams listed. Of the other there are least one has a Cup or Final appearance.

Don't see why you are getting mad. You made a point about NYR being bad and then brought up success in sense of SCF win or appearance. No need to get snippy.

I'm not mad. It was like midnight and I was on my phone. The fact is, you're mistaken.

Deleted Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    If you get what you pay for...the Rangers probably have the most valuable combo, according to this table. They're the least expensive of the 11 but have the 5th highest point total. We don't have the top end center that some of those other clubs do, but only 2 or 3 have the same balance.

Not to mention the fact that those bloated names also skew the point totals (Chi, Car, Ana).

If you go by 2Cs, from this list, Brassard had point totals last year (60) better than all but Carter (62), Pavelski in (70), Spezza (62), Zetterberg (66) and Malkin (70). You have to give the edge to Brass over a guy like Spezza, who had 19 PP points that Seguin either scored or assisted on.
    Money aside, I'd probably trade straight up for most of those tandems, BUFF and SJ aside. Maybe even Detroit, but still - that, in my mind, puts us near the bottom in terms of talent. I'd say that guys like Malkin and Seguin have had higher ceilings in the past, and that players like Zetterberg and Carter have been proven winner Who exactly does Malkin play with, apart from Sid once in a while? Brassard is partnered with Nash.

Look, I'm not arguing that we have a bad C core - I'm just saying, they're the lowest paid for a reason. They may not be the lowest ranking on any one metric, but across several, they're not as impressive as some of the other options on that list. It makes sense.

Moderator Junior Division
    Money aside, I'd probably trade straight up for most of those tandems, BUFF and SJ aside. Maybe even Detroit, but still - that, in my mind, puts us near the bottom in terms of talent. I'd say that guys like Malkin and Seguin have had higher ceilings in the past, and that players like Zetterberg and Carter have been proven winner Who exactly does Malkin play with, apart from Sid once in a while? Brassard is partnered with Nash.

Look, I'm not arguing that we have a bad C core - I'm just saying, they're the lowest paid for a reason. They may not be the lowest ranking on any one metric, but across several, they're not as impressive as some of the other options on that list. It makes sense.
    That makes no sense to me lol

They're 5th in points, in the last 3 seasons they've won more than anybody on that list other than LAK and CHI, they're both good two-way players, they're rarely injured, and they make significantly less than some of the others that they're outproducing. No, they aren't Sid/Malkin, Datsyuk/Zett or Kopitar/Carter, but those are probably the three best combos since the lockout. So, to me, you're going to have to do a lot more to give the argument that they're the second worst on that list any credibility.

Resident Garbage Clown BSBH Prospect
    The points make them look good, but it also ignores some facts like neither being able to win draws and both being severely undersized.

Deleted Midget Division
    Okie dokie. The goalpost keeps moving. First the metric was success. Now, it is points. Which, for the record isn't a fantastic metric for them either. 5th out of 9 isn't a shining example of value.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast