Thread: PIT Trades [F] Brandon Sutter to VAN for [F] Nick Bonino, [D] Adam Clendening, Pick

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend

PIT Trades [F] Brandon Sutter to VAN for [F] Nick Bonino, [D] Adam Clendening, Pick

@Mackey_Trib: Pens send Sutter and a third-round pick to VAN. Get Nick Bonino, Adam Clendening and a second-round pick in 2016.

@FarhanLaljiTSN: #canucks announce they've acquired Brandon Sutter from Penguins: http://t.co/YPg1qf96Vq
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Junior Division
    I'm not understanding this move for Vancouver at all.

Same. That's a lot to give up for Brandon Sutter.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Former Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Makes sense for Pittsburgh, since they just signed Fehr who is good on faceoffs while they shed $1.3m versus Sutter. Adding Bonino gives the Pens solid depth down the middle past the big 2, something they haven't had for a while. I don't get this for Vancouver much, unless they think increased ice time would allow Sutter to turn into a sort of Kesler replacement. We see how well increased ice time worked out for J. Staal once he left Pitt...

Quote Originally Posted by Cash or Czech? View Post
    Makes sense for Pittsburgh, since they just signed Fehr who is good on faceoffs while they shed $1.3m versus Sutter. Adding Bonino gives the Pens solid depth down the middle past the big 2, something they haven't had for a while. I don't get this for Vancouver much, unless they think increased ice time would allow Sutter to turn into a sort of Kesler replacement. We see how well increased ice time worked out for J. Staal once he left Pitt...
    He's a UFA next season though. They're banking a lot of hope that he becomes that, and that he'll re-sign with them. Otherwise this is a one-year rental that cost them Clendening, Bonino and a second-rounder. Kinda woof.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

I agree, though Bonino is a year older and more of a one-way player. Tough to lose Clendening who was probably their best D prospect. I'm not sure they have the right support for the aging Sedins to do anything unless a major overhaul happens.

They probably try to move Sutter at the deadline. Teams will want him

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by NYR View Post
    They probably try to move Sutter at the deadline. Teams will want him
    You think teams are doing that? Trading for guys because they might have more value at a later point? I can't imagine that anyone is doing that...especially at this point of the off-season.

Senior Member Junior Division
    he could certainly have value as a rental if they aren't in the playoff picture (I think they'll at the very least be close) but they wouldn't give up what they did if they didn't intend on keeping him. Bonino is a good young player and they traded down pick wise to get Sutter. It really doesn't make sense to me but you have to think they are very high on him and are planning on signing him to an extension

@JSportsnet: Canucks source confirms that team and Brandon Sutter will get new long term deal done in the next few days.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Seems like I'm in the minority here, but I am glad Sutter is no longer a Pen. They may have given up a bit, but he is the best player in the deal. A more well rounded and responsible payer than Benino. A terrific 2 way center, maybe one of the best 3rd line C who can slot up to the 2nd line on the right team. Have a feeling he will be utilized better in Vancouver and has his best scoring year yet.

I'm glad he's not a Pen either, because he always seemed to score against the Rangers, but the analytics on him were poor from what I've been reading. Seems the Pens made this deal because they project a better, more balanced forward group with Bonino (plus get Clendenning for a depleted blue line) than with Sutter.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=7...d=nhl:topheads

Sutter, who was acquired from the Pittsburgh Penguins on Tuesday, could sign for as long as five years with an average annual value of roughly $4.4 million, Elliotte Friedman reported via Twitter.
    I'd LOL if Vancouver seriously gives him $4.4M. Way above market value. Even if it's UFA years, we've seen this offseason that those guys are getting relatively reasonable market value money.
    Last edited by Cash or Czech?; 07-30-2015 at 03:10 PM.

That depends on if you think his goal-scoring is an aberration or not. Points-wise, yeah, he's not really in that range, but can he be? Or can he give you 20-25 goals every season? If so, he's probably worth it.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

I don't believe so. He's hit above 20 goals only twice in his career, and once was in his first full season. His shooting % was at 11.7, while he shot 9% in 13-14 and 13.4% in the lockout shortened 12-13 year when he had 11 goals in 48 games (pro rated to ~19). In Carolina he was right around 10% in 10-11 and 11-12. In 09-10 when he scored 21, he scored on 12.5% of his shots.

I think he's a 15-20 goal guy versus a 20-25 goal guy, which is why it'd be an overpayment IMO.

Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    If he's getting 45 points, that's market value. He'll also get more minutes in Vancouver.