Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 130

Thread: Rangers' Cap Woes Will Return Next Summer

  1. #41
    Former Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Cash or Czech?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    16,537
    Rep Power
    64
    Buchnevich on an ELC would be clutch for our cap worries. He said he's waiting another year until coming over.

  2. #42
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    81,788
    Rep Power
    359
    Just gonna bump this again, since this conversation has taken up flight again in the GDT.

    Cliff's Notes for those who missed it:

    Re-signing Yandle and how it would affect next years' cap?
    Trade Yandle and/or Klein?
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

  3. #43
    Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Puck Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    10,567
    Rep Power
    114
    Just want to throw out some random numbers against next years cap.

    Forwards
    Nash, Stepan, Brassard, Zuccarrelo, Fast
    24.8 million

    Defenseman
    Staal, Girardi, McDonagh, Klein
    18.6 million

    Goaltenders
    Lndqvist
    8. 5 million

    That's 52 million against a current cap of 71.4 million cap hit.
    I'm pretty sure Kredier, (5.5-6) Miller, (3-3.5) and Hayes (3.5-4) will all be resigned.
    Calculating on the low end, I still believe those 3 will cost us around 12 million dollars.

    So now we are 64 million against the cap with approx. 7 million to spare.
    But still need 5 more forwards, 3 more defenseman, and a backup goaltender to complete a roster.
    Even with a increase in the Cap, things will be very tight.

    Thus why I think there is no way we can afford a 6-6.5 million dollar cap for a player such as Yandle.
    We'd have to gut the team to keep him here.

  4. #44
    Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    74,851
    Rep Power
    438
    Depending on what he does this year, Zuke might be moved.

  5. #45
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    81,788
    Rep Power
    359
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck Head View Post
    Just want to throw out some random numbers against next years cap.

    Forwards
    Nash, Stepan, Brassard, Zuccarrelo, Fast
    24.8 million

    Defenseman
    Staal, Girardi, McDonagh, Klein
    18.6 million

    Goaltenders
    Lndqvist
    8. 5 million

    That's 52 million against a current cap of 71.4 million cap hit.
    I'm pretty sure Kredier, (5.5-6) Miller, (3-3.5) and Hayes (3.5-4) will all be resigned.
    Calculating on the low end, I still believe those 3 will cost us around 12 million dollars.

    So now we are 64 million against the cap with approx. 7 million to spare.
    But still need 5 more forwards, 3 more defenseman, and a backup goaltender to complete a roster.
    Even with a increase in the Cap, things will be very tight.

    Thus why I think there is no way we can afford a 6-6.5 million dollar cap for a player such as Yandle.
    We'd have to gut the team to keep him here.
    Agreed.

    Right now, Boyle's $4.5M is already accounted for completely in Kreider's next deal. With no room to spare.

    Re-signing Yandle effectively dismantles the team and requires that at least one large contract is moved out in place of his extension. Meaning Zuccarello (who doesn't have any clauses starting next year, for what its worth), Girardi (full NMC), Staal (full NMC) and/or Klein (no clauses).
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

  6. #46
    Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Puck Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    10,567
    Rep Power
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Depending on what he does this year, Zuke might be moved.
    I have one of my columns (the spreadsheets I keep) with that exact move.
    Much depends on a certain somebody coming over from Russia and his ability to walk into a top 6 spot.
    But even that move keeps us fairly tight against things.

  7. #47
    Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    74,851
    Rep Power
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck Head View Post
    I have one of my columns (the spreadsheets I keep) with that exact move.
    Much depends on a certain somebody coming over from Russia and his ability to walk into a top 6 spot.
    But even that move keeps us fairly tight against things.
    Well yea we'd have to take back minimal salary in a trade.

  8. #48
    Let's talk about stickers Junior Division
    TwoMinutesForNothing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    6,792
    Rep Power
    60
    Nash $7.8
    Stepan $6.5
    Brassard $5
    Zuc $4.5
    Kreider $5
    Fast $.950k
    Hayes $1.4
    Miller $1.25
    Etem $1.25
    Stalberg $2
    Lindberg $.650k
    Buchnevich $.850k
    Megna $.600k

    Staal $5.7
    Girardi $5.5
    McDonagh $4.7
    Yandle $6
    McIlrath $.600k
    Skjei $.925k
    Diaz $.700k

    Lundqvist $8.5
    Hellberg $.625k

    Total - $71 mil

    Same as our current cap hit for this season. The cap will still finally get a nice raise this offseason so there is room for bigger raises, though I believe Gorton proved this offseason he keeps those very low. If more room is needed you don't bring back Stalberg and go with a cheaper vet.

  9. #49
    Let's talk about stickers Junior Division
    TwoMinutesForNothing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    6,792
    Rep Power
    60
    These are bridge deals for Miller, Hayes, and Etem. They aren't going to get paid yet. Minimal raises.

  10. #50
    Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    74,851
    Rep Power
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoMinutesForNothing View Post
    These are bridge deals for Miller, Hayes, and Etem. They aren't going to get paid yet. Minimal raises.
    Miller and Etem will be going to their 3rd deals. They will not be making $1.5, Miller especially. He'd have to have a 10 point season.

  11. #51
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    81,788
    Rep Power
    359
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoMinutesForNothing View Post
    Nash $7.8
    Stepan $6.5
    Brassard $5
    Zuc $4.5
    Kreider $5
    Fast $.950k
    Hayes $1.4
    Miller $1.25
    Etem $1.25
    Stalberg $2
    Lindberg $.650k
    Buchnevich $.850k
    Megna $.600k

    Staal $5.7
    Girardi $5.5
    McDonagh $4.7
    Yandle $6
    McIlrath $.600k
    Skjei $.925k
    Diaz $.700k

    Lundqvist $8.5
    Hellberg $.625k

    Total - $71 mil

    Same as our current cap hit for this season. The cap will still finally get a nice raise this offseason so there is room for bigger raises, though I believe Gorton proved this offseason he keeps those very low. If more room is needed you don't bring back Stalberg and go with a cheaper vet.
    Miller and Etem will both have arbitration rights, I believe. I think Hayes might have them as well. None of them are signing for that little. No chance.

    Also, Brent Seabrook just got $6.875M for 30 points. What do you think Yandle is gonna get for the 50 you think he's gonna score? I'd think more than $6M.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

  12. #52
    I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    AmericanJesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19,402
    Rep Power
    322
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Miller and Etem will be going to their 3rd deals. They will not be making $1.5, Miller especially. He'd have to have a 10 point season.
    And if Yandle has the kind of season that would make us want to do what it would take to keep him he's probably looking at $7.5m or so as a UFA.

  13. #53
    Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Puck Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    10,567
    Rep Power
    114
    So we sign Yandle so we can roster how many rookies next season??

    That roster would be 4 steps backwards

  14. #54
    Let's talk about stickers Junior Division
    TwoMinutesForNothing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    6,792
    Rep Power
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Miller and Etem will be going to their 3rd deals. They will not be making $1.5, Miller especially. He'd have to have a 10 point season.
    They still have multiple RFA years left so there's no need to go big. If more money is needed then switch Stalberg for a Bourque or Adam and redistribute the $1.4 mil. This is all going by this years cap anyway. The Canadian dollar is projected to take a big turn in mid 2016 the cap should see a very nice raise. Even if it's not reflected until the following season, it's worth kicking the can down the road. Then Nash will be in the final year of his deal and all problems will be solved. Point is it can be cone without issue. Just give another 1 year bridge deal to those guy and then deal Nash as a rental in 2017-18 if need be.

  15. #55
    Let's talk about stickers Junior Division
    TwoMinutesForNothing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    6,792
    Rep Power
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck Head View Post
    So we sign Yandle so we can roster how many rookies next season??

    That roster would be 4 steps backwards
    There's 2 rookies on that roster. Assuming Skjei doesn't get time this year. The only losses are Stoll, Moore, Boyle, Klein.

  16. #56
    Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Puck Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    10,567
    Rep Power
    114
    Once again
    You are way too low on certain contracts
    Way too many unproven players on the roster

    And all this for Yandle who hasn't done anything yet.

  17. #57
    Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    74,851
    Rep Power
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoMinutesForNothing View Post
    They still have multiple RFA years left so there's no need to go big. If more money is needed then switch Stalberg for a Bourque or Adam and redistribute the $1.4 mil. This is all going by this years cap anyway. The Canadian dollar is projected to take a big turn in mid 2016 the cap should see a very nice raise. Even if it's not reflected until the following season, it's worth kicking the can down the road. Then Nash will be in the final year of his deal and all problems will be solved. Point is it can be cone without issue. Just give another 1 year bridge deal to those guy and then deal Nash as a rental in 2017-18 if need be.
    Not really. You'd be setting Miller and Hayes up to be a 28 year old UFA. Not sure why we would want to do that.

  18. #58
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    81,788
    Rep Power
    359
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoMinutesForNothing View Post
    They still have multiple RFA years left so there's no need to go big. If more money is needed then switch Stalberg for a Bourque or Adam and redistribute the $1.4 mil. This is all going by this years cap anyway. The Canadian dollar is projected to take a big turn in mid 2016 the cap should see a very nice raise. Even if it's not reflected until the following season, it's worth kicking the can down the road. Then Nash will be in the final year of his deal and all problems will be solved. Point is it can be cone without issue. Just give another 1 year bridge deal to those guy and then deal Nash as a rental in 2017-18 if need be.
    OK, but we have to do this step-by-step. Your $6M figure for Yandle is probably bare minimum requirement. In all likelihood, he's closer to Dave's $7.5M estimate. So that's $1.5M already you aren't accounting for.

    Second, them being RFA doesn't mean you can play this kind of hardball to keep them below $2M in AAV. It means you control their salary for the most part, but arbitration can put a damper on your efforts in a heart beat if you allow the players eligible for it to get there.

    The way I have this figured, Kreider's baseline is $5M. Likely more depending on perforamnce. Both Hayes and Miller baseline around $3M. Likely more depending on performance.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

  19. #59
    Let's talk about stickers Junior Division
    TwoMinutesForNothing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    6,792
    Rep Power
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    OK, but we have to do this step-by-step. Your $6M figure for Yandle is probably bare minimum requirement. In all likelihood, he's closer to Dave's $7.5M estimate. So that's $1.5M already you aren't accounting for.

    Second, them being RFA doesn't mean you can play this kind of hardball to keep them below $2M in AAV. It means you control their salary for the most part, but arbitration can put a damper on your efforts in a heart beat if you allow the players eligible for it to get there.

    The way I have this figured, Kreider's baseline is $5M. Likely more depending on perforamnce. Both Hayes and Miller baseline around $3M. Likely more depending on performance.
    A strong comeback by the Canadian dollar could have the cap back to raising what it used to at $4-6 mil. Can't find cap projections but there are plenty of links links about he Canadian Dollar. We'll have to wait and see what happens.

    https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/ca...g-group-454543

  20. #60
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    81,788
    Rep Power
    359
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoMinutesForNothing View Post
    A strong comeback by the Canadian dollar could have the cap back to raising what it used to at $4-6 mil. Can't find cap projections but there are plenty of links links about he Canadian Dollar. We'll have to wait and see what happens.

    https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/ca...g-group-454543
    OK, but even if we account for that, we're at a $71.4M cap right now.

    Let's say it goes up another $5M, pushing it to $76.4M. We probably still can't keep Yandle.

    Assuming Glass is dealt, we have $24.75M locked up in five forwards between Nash, Stepan, Brassard, Zuccarello and Fast up front. That goes up to $43.55M with Girardi, Staal, McDonagh and Klein. $52.05M with Lundqvist.

    Kreider at $5.5M, Hayes and Miller both at $3.5M and we're at $64.55M. And we still need three more forwards, two more defensemen and a goaltender just to field a 20-man roster.

    Yandle would account for another estimated $7.5M. That'd take us to $72.05M with three forwards, one defenseman and a goaltender still yet to sign, again, only for a 20-man roster.

    Sorry, but I'm just not seeing how this math ever works out without dealing at least one large contract to accommodate Yandle's would-be huge contract.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •