Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 105

Thread: Rangers Re-Sign [F] Derek Stepan to 6-Year/$39M Extension; $6.5M AAV

  1. #41
    Sighing Dutchman BSBH Prospect
    Jules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Princeton, NJ
    Posts
    19,057
    Rep Power
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    Gorton wraps up an impressive summer. Time to get to work!
    This is exactly what I thought. He did a really strong job in the draft, with the trades to clear space and by signing the right players to the right deals. I'm very happy with this deal as well. Fair amount for a fair period of time for a player with room to grow.
    Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
    Hidden Content

  2. #42
    The Dolphin Whisperer BSBH Rookie
    Morphinity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    28,314
    Rep Power
    351
    Great work by Gorton, Sather, Barnett, and Schoenfeld
    Last edited by Morphinity; 07-27-2015 at 11:03 AM.

  3. #43
    I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    AmericanJesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19,351
    Rep Power
    320
    First, that's a solid deal by both Stepan and Gorton. Not great, not terrible. Gorton's had a solid start to his solo run.

    Larry Brooks ‏@NYP_Brooksie Assuming 22-man roster with one extra F and one extra D, #NYR would go into season with between $850-950,000 of cap space.

    That's a very workable position for a top team as far as short term injuries/ailments that might occur over the course of the season. We can probably float that to approximately $2M in deadline flexibility if need be.

  4. #44
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Giacomin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,195
    Rep Power
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    This is the new NHL as well. NTC/NMC are a type of currency in a term-capped era where AAV is still just as important, but can no longer be artificially lowered by tacking on dummy, back-diving years to contracts.

    So you give to get. You want a player through his prime at a flexible average, eating UFA years along the way? No problem. For the cost of trade control. If I'm the agent, it's easy. My client is willing to work with you if you are willing to work with them. Negotiate in good faith and we'll return the favor. But I want trade control regardless. My client wants to be a Ranger and wants to make sure he remains one should you change your mind a year or two into this deal.
    Great post that accurately describes the landscape on many of the important deals/issues in the league. My understanding mirrors yours.

    That said, I have two simple viewpoints.
    1. Specific to Steps deal - I'm hoping his deal would have been 6.2 - 6.3 per, but because he did not get (say) any trade protection for the back half of the contract, we gave him 6.5.
    2. More important to the team in general - I hope Gorton and a few other GM's of competitive teams at max cap, give less deals with NMC/NTCs. Or just give less years on the NMCs/NTCs. Or even give no NMCs. NTCs seem more reasonable in the real world.

  5. #45
    In Vigneault, Veritas BSBH Prospect
    G1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    16,628
    Rep Power
    120
    Workable, but Brooksie is off....in a good way. Unless Brady Skjei makes the team, we should be playing with closer to 975K-1.075M in cap space (since both Diaz and McI won't make the team)
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

  6. #46
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    81,377
    Rep Power
    359
    Quote Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
    Great post that accurately describes the landscape on many of the important deals/issues in the league. My understanding mirrors yours.

    That said, I have two simple viewpoints.
    1. Specific to Steps deal - I'm hoping his deal would have been 6.2 - 6.3 per, but because he did not get (say) any trade protection for the back half of the contract, we gave him 6.5.
    2. More important to the team in general - I hope Gorton and a few other GM's of competitive teams at max cap, give less deals with NMC/NTCs. Or just give less years on the NMCs/NTCs. Or even give no NMCs. NTCs seem more reasonable in the real world.
    I think it's closer to Stepan wanted $7M annually but took $500K less per season in average for trade control via a modified No-Trade Clause that kicked in the moment he signed the deal. Whatever the modification is, I don't know. Probably some variation of he selects N number of teams to which he'll accept a trade to, or selects N number of teams to which he won't. Doesn't much matter so long as the number is flexible. 8 seems to be the average.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

  7. #47
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Giacomin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,195
    Rep Power
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew a Penalty View Post
    I read your other post and it didn't really solve anything for me.

    You're comparing Girardi and Staal to Stepan, but their contracts end and run through completely different parts of their careers. Girardi's runs until the end of his career. Staal's likely as well. Stepan's runs through the end of his prime. There's a reason protection on those contracts would be different which you seem to neglect despite my explanation. Stepan is going to want more protection as he's exiting his prime. The likelihood of the team trading him in the next 3 years is a lot slimmer than in the 3 following that.

    I don't agree with handing out of clauses, but for Stepan's side it makes a lot more sense to be as protected as possible especially in the back end.
    You're over complicating my view. I never really compared G and Staal to Step, I was just answering a question Pete wondered in the other thread. However, my philosophy is not inconsistent. Less restrictive movement clauses the later we go into the contract.

    I do not care who the name is on the contract. I want G and Staal to not have such restrictive clauses for all the contract years. Same for Steps. Just because G's contract is worse (because he is older) does not make it good if Steps gets the same NMC/NTC.

    Forget comparing them, this is Gorton's first big contract. Did he set a new and better precedent than Sather?

    BTW, I get that you are advocating for Step. Of course his camp should ask for everything they can get which gives them more control. However, I'm interested in what makes the Rangers more competitive.
    Last edited by Giacomin; 07-27-2015 at 11:18 AM.

  8. #48
    Senior Member Midget Division Thump23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,883
    Rep Power
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
    You're over complicating my view. I never really compared G and Staal to Step, I was just answering a question Pete wondered in the other thread. However, my philosophy is not inconsistent. Less restrictive movement clauses the later we go into the contract.

    I do not care who the name is on the contract. I want G and Staal to not have such restrictive clauses for all the contract years. Same for Steps. Just because G's contract is worse (because he is older) does not make it good if Steps gets the same NMC/NTC.

    Forget comparing them, this is Gorton's first big contract. Did he set a new and better precedent than Sather?

    BTW, I get that you are advocating for Step. Of course his camp should ask for everything they can get which gives them more control. However, I'm interested in what makes the Rangers more competitive.
    I think Stepan would have gotten exactly the same deal had Sather still been GM.

  9. #49
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Giacomin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,195
    Rep Power
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    I think it's closer to Stepan wanted $7M annually but took $500K less per season in average for trade control via a modified No-Trade Clause that kicked in the moment he signed the deal. Whatever the modification is, I don't know. Probably some variation of he selects N number of teams to which he'll accept a trade to, or selects N number of teams to which he won't. Doesn't much matter so long as the number is flexible. 8 seems to be the average.
    Well the good news is that we will find out and get to discuss it right here on this site. Looking forward to the info. Hopefully you are right if you are implying that he got a limited no trade clause.

  10. #50
    Clean Slate, Grab It! NYR BSBH Prospect
    Johnnydollaz18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    15,595
    Rep Power
    40
    Makes sense, probably would have gotten more on the open-market if it ever reached there. Love the deal, glad he's staying put for the next 6 years.
    He was pacing for 66 points this season, and as Pete has said in other threads ''66 points=6.6M" And it's right on the money.

  11. #51
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Giacomin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,195
    Rep Power
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Thump23 View Post
    I think Stepan would have gotten exactly the same deal had Sather still been GM.
    We do not have all the terms of the deal yet. I doubt the numbers would vary too much, but the term may have. The tone may have. (Sather and Step did not have friendly negotiations in the past.) Most importantly, how encumbered is the team from trading him in years 3,4,5, and 6?

  12. #52
    The Dolphin Whisperer BSBH Rookie
    Morphinity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    28,314
    Rep Power
    351
    Quote Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
    You're over complicating my view. I never really compared G and Staal to Step, I was just answering a question Pete wondered in the other thread. However, my philosophy is not inconsistent. Less restrictive movement clauses the later we go into the contract.

    I do not care who the name is on the contract. I want G and Staal to not have such restrictive clauses for all the contract years. Same for Steps. Just because G's contract is worse (because he is older) does not make it good if Steps gets the same NMC/NTC.

    Forget comparing them, this is Gorton's first big contract. Did he set a new and better precedent than Sather?

    BTW, I get that you are advocating for Step. Of course his camp should ask for everything they can get which gives them more control. However, I'm interested in what makes the Rangers more competitive.
    What do you mean "set a new precedent?" These deals are dictated by the market and the market offers limited move clauses on the regular. You don't just refuse to offer an NMC/NTC because then you don't get that player.

    Wanna talk about the team being "encumbered?" Try refusing to give Stepan an NMC. Then you're looking at more than $6.5M AAV and potentially looking at not having Stepan long term.

  13. #53
    Senior Member Midget Division Thump23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,883
    Rep Power
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
    We do not have all the terms of the deal yet. I doubt the numbers would vary too much, but the term may have. The tone may have. (Sather and Step did not have friendly negotiations in the past.) Most importantly, how encumbered is the team from trading him in years 3,4,5, and 6?
    I don't read too much into the tone of negotiations. It's the agent's job to go out and get his guy the very best deal possible - that's how agents go out and get other clients - and it's in the GMs best interest to get the best possible deal for the organization. Maybe it would have gotten tense, maybe not but at the end of the day, this is a business. Players know this, GMs know this, agents know this. Even if it got heated, I'm sure all that goes away when the player cashes that first check.

    As far as trading him down the road? Who knows. He's a Ranger now. An important one. This team's window is the next few year and I'm sure a 28/29 year old Stepan at this price tag would be awfully attractive to a lot of teams should Gorton or whoever thinks he needs to be moved. He's only 25 years old, I constantly have to remind myself of this because it seems like he's been here forever.

  14. #54
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Flynn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Down South
    Posts
    1,523
    Rep Power
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Thump23 View Post
    I don't read too much into the tone of negotiations. It's the agent's job to go out and get his guy the very best deal possible - that's how agents go out and get other clients - and it's in the GMs best interest to get the best possible deal for the organization. Maybe it would have gotten tense, maybe not but at the end of the day, this is a business. Players know this, GMs know this, agents know this. Even if it got heated, I'm sure all that goes away when the player cashes that first check.

    As far as trading him down the road? Who knows. He's a Ranger now. An important one. This team's window is the next few year and I'm sure a 28/29 year old Stepan at this price tag would be awfully attractive to a lot of teams should Gorton or whoever thinks he needs to be moved. He's only 25 years old, I constantly have to remind myself of this because it seems like he's been here forever.
    Its understandable as he has the hair line of a 38 year old...

  15. #55
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    81,377
    Rep Power
    359
    @AGrossRecord: Stepan indicates there is a no-trade early in contract, then a no-movement through six years.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

  16. #56
    Shawcappella BSBH Prospect
    Drew a Penalty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    13,740
    Rep Power
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    @AGrossRecord: Stepan indicates there is a no-trade early in contract, then a no-movement through six years.
    I hate to be the guy that says called it, but I called it.

  17. #57
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    81,377
    Rep Power
    359
    I wish it were reversed, but I'm also so over getting upset over players getting this kind of trade control in their deals. This is how the NHL operates in the new CBA. Every notable player in the league who has signed his deal after the point the current CBA was ratified has this type of control built in. It's become a new form of currency that replaced the dummy years that used to be tacked onto long-term deals.

    And as we've come to know, NTC/NMC are not actually anchors. They simply prevent you from being able to dump contracts into destinations you know they player would never otherwise go to (cough*Phoenix*cough*Florida*cough).

    When a team really wants to move a player with one, they ask them to waive it, and provided the player is going to a destination they approve of, they generally oblige.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

  18. #58
    Former Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Cash or Czech?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    16,497
    Rep Power
    63
    Rather the NMC earlier with the NTC later, but I guess it protects him as it exits his prime.

  19. #59
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Giacomin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,195
    Rep Power
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphinity View Post
    What do you mean "set a new precedent?" These deals are dictated by the market and the market offers limited move clauses on the regular. You don't just refuse to offer an NMC/NTC because then you don't get that player.

    Wanna talk about the team being "encumbered?" Try refusing to give Stepan an NMC. Then you're looking at more than $6.5M AAV and potentially looking at not having Stepan long term.
    It is a possible new precedent, to be set by Gorton.

    I totally understand what you are saying, they are given out like candy. It is possible he got 3 year NMC and 3 year NTC. I think that is what Staal got, I welcome anyone clarifying. My hope is that Gorton did better than that and will have this contract to point to.

    Not every team is the Sabres and needs to give away the store to ROR. Which is essentially what the Caps GM and another exec said just recently.

  20. #60
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    81,377
    Rep Power
    359
    I can't imagine the Rangers really entertain the idea of dealing him anyway. Not if his current rate of production/trend continue or even steady-off. It's Brassard who is more likely to be dealt.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •