• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2015 BSBH Year End Awards: Discussion, Questions & Suggestions

Phil

2015 BSBH Year End Awards: Discussion, Questions & Suggestions

It's that time of year again, folks. The season is over for the New York Rangers and the National Hockey League, but the season on the BlueshirtsBrotherhood Forums never ends. As is customary to commemorate the end of the hockey year, the BSBH Year End Awards are back for another run.

For those of you who've been with us for these before, you should be able to skip to the end of this thread if you want to contribute, but for those who are new to the idea, the following is for you:

--

Synopsis:

1. A series of threads in a temporary forum section will be created where users will nominate other users here for each award by simply writing out their name/handle as a post. You can be as detailed as you like in explaining why you are nominating a user, or simply list their names out with no explanation.

Nominations will run for one full week (seven days), and at the end of that seven day period the Staff (painstakingly) take the time to hand count the votes to create the actual polls from.

Nominations Week will run from July 29th to August 4th.

2. The original nominations are closed, and the polls for each award is created. All users with at least 50 posts are then allowed to vote for another one-week period (seven days) before the votes are finalized and the awards as signature graphics are handed out.

Voting Week will run from August 5th to August 11th.

An example of one of those graphics from last years awards is below:

clutterbuck_1213.png

All winners will be announced a few days after voting ends.

2015 Updates:

Discontinued Awards:

• N/A

New Awards:

• The 'Cal Clutterbuck Award' for the user with the best forum handle has been re-named the 'Jyrki Jokipakka Award'.

• The 'Ville Nieminen Award' for the funniest user has been re-named the 'Mats Zuccarello Award'

• The 'Martin Straka Award' for the most unsung user has been re-named the 'Kevin Klein Award'

• The 'Tim Thomas Award' for the most active user on political and non-hockey topics has been re-named the 'Mike Richter Award'

New Rules:

• All previous year award winners are eliminated from contention for nominations or voting this year

The Following Awards Will Be Available This Year:

• The 'Jyrki Jokipakka Award’ for the user with the best forum handle

• The 'Black Ace Award' for the user who spends the most time on the forum not posting anything hockey related.

• The 'Brian Leetch Award' for the impact rookie poster of the year

• The 'Hart Memorial Award' for the most valuable poster

• The "Nice Sig" Award' for the user with the best signature graphic

• The 'Mats Zuccarello Award' for funniest user

• The 'Forever Frozen Award' for the most hockey obsessed user

• The 'Don Cherry Award' for the most opinionated and outspoken user

• The 'Derek Boogaard Award' for the toughest user to argue/debate with

• The 'Deion Sanders Award' for the user who posts exceptionally across multiple sports

• The 'X's and O's Award' for the user who writes the most organized/in-depth posts

• The 'Pavel Datsyuk Award' for the user who has created the most creative thread discussions

• The 'Tom Renney "Good Guy" Award' for the user who's nicest/most polite

• The 'Gordie Clark Award' for the user who best shares prospect information

• The 'Kevin Klein Award' for the most unsung user

• The 'Cross-River Rivals Award' for best forum rivalry

• The 'Tom Nevins Memorial Award' for the user who goes above and beyond for another user (Users provide citations in order to nominate)

• The 'Mike Richter Award' for the most active user on political and non-hockey news topics

• The 'John Tortorella Award' for the user most defensive of a player, coach or idea

• The 'Martin Biron Award' for the nicest/best moderator

• The 'Anton Str?lman Award' for the most improved user

VOTING/NOMINATION RULES:

• A user must receive at least
two
nominations to be eligible for an award

• In the event of a tie both winners will share the win

• Nominations last one week (seven days).

• Voting lasts one week (seven days).

• Only five nominees can vie for an award.

• If you do not wish to take part in these awards, you must PM me to let me know now so that I can include you on the opted-out list so you aren't included in the polling.

• All previous year award winners are eliminated from contention for nominations or voting.

Last Years' Winners:

'The Brian Leetch Award' for the impact rookie user of the year

phillyb™

'The Black Ace Award' for the user who posts the most non-hockey related material

PP Conundrum, Parsley

'The Tim Thomas Award' for the most active political/non-hockey user

Jules

'The Martin Straka Award' for the most unsung user

momentum

'The Deion Sanders Award' for the user who posts exceptionally across multiple sports

I am Scags

'The Cal Clutterbuck Award' for the user with the best forum handle

Gorilla Salad

'The Gordie Clark Award' for the user who best shares information on prospects

Puck Head

'The Tom Nevins Memorial Award' for the user who goes above and beyond

Rome 2.0

'The "Nice Sig" Award' for best signature graphic

HL30MR35

'The Anton Str?lman Award' for the most improved user

Patrick Bateman, Missing Teeth

'The Ville Nieminen Award' for the funniest user

Patrick Bateman

'The Derek Boogaard Award' for the user who is toughest to argue/debate with

AmericanJesus

'The Hart Memorial Award' for most valuable poster

Rome 2.0, Pete

'The X's and O's Award' for the user who writes the most organized/in-depth posts

Ranger Lothbrok

'The Don Cherry Award' for the most opinionated and outspoken user

wolfgaze

'The Tom Renney Award' for the most polite/friendly user

Jules

'The Pavel Datsyuk Award' for the user with the most creative thread(s)

AmericanJesus

'The John Tortorella Award' for the user most defensive of a player, coach or idea

Morphinity

'The Martin Biron Award' for the nicest/best moderator

High and Wide

'The Forever Frozen Award' for the most hockey obsessed user

Mikey37

'The Cross-River Rivals Award' for the best forum rivalry

Morphinity v. Mikey37

--

Please weigh in with any thoughts, suggestions or criticisms you might have over the next week (six days), as the awards are set to begin nominations July 29th. Any and all changes to the awards will be applied BEFORE, not after that date, so again, if you have any thoughts, suggestions or criticisms, now is your time to voice them.

If you have any ideas for new awards, please post them here as well. Awards should be positive, encouraging and engaging. Please do not suggest negative awards like "Most annoying user", or "Person you'd most like to punch in the face", etc.

Thanks,

Phil

What about some kind of "Skip the Bridge Deal" Award for the best "up-and-comer"? We'd have to set some kind of limit on this, maybe anyone outside the rookie class who still deserves some kind of recognition?

What about some kind of "Skip the Bridge Deal" Award for the best "up-and-comer"? We'd have to set some kind of limit on this, maybe anyone outside the rookie class who still deserves some kind of recognition?

Eh. I dunno about that. If you're a good rookie you get the Calder. If you're the mvp you get the Hart. There's no award for Best Guy Who Didn't Win the Hart and Isn't Calder Eligible.

Just spitballing.

In terms of re-naming awards:

Re-name the Ville Nieminen for funniest user to Mats Zuccarello?

Re-name the Martin Straka for the most unsung user to Dominic Moore or Jesper Fast?

Just spitballing.

In terms of re-naming awards:

Re-name the Ville Nieminen for funniest user to Mats Zuccarello?

Re-name the Martin Straka for the most unsung user to Dominic Moore or Jesper Fast?

On board with that.

Or Klein for unsung. Anyone else see him do that Maori tribal dance? Apparently he does it before every game.

Yeah, Klein may work too, but I figured Fast may be the better longer-term solution. Can't see Klein here even past this season. But I could be wrong.

I mean... That's free agency. No one unsung will be here very long.

I like the Fast in place of Straka. Same with Jokipakka for Clutterbuck.

I think the Stralman award is as close as you can get to an up and comer. I think that award is basically for guys here for 2-3 years. Anyone here for 4+ is pretty established and isn't really going to change. Also you'd need enough people to be eligible and there haven't been a great deal of new posters. At least not enough that I remember the Leetch awards having a slew of candidates.

I'll try to think of a new one. We have quite a lot already especially for the user base, but I think we dropped two awards two years ago.

We've had stronger rookie classes in the past, but still a decent one this year. I can see at least two of the users in the group fighting it out pretty good.

I'm just thinking off the top of my head as like 2013 not exactly having many new users. Last year was better and I can think of a few now. There are a few people who only started posting recently with older registration dates that I think should be eligible. Leetch goes off of registration doesn't it? But then again it's tough to track when a user started posting once they're a couple hundred posts in.

That'd be a redux of that Lurking award, except spun positively. But how do you really gauge it? Do you put limits on the number of posts, or just what some users feel is someone who doesn't post often, but posts with impact when they do?

The (Glen Sather/Jeff Gorton Award

Poster who shows best ability to be a GM etc.

Someone who consistently is logical with their approach toward roster decisions etc. Who to keep and why. How much money and why etc. This may be redundant but I think there are a number of posters with a solid knowledge of CBA/financials and are good talent evaluators that they post almost with a GM mindset.

Just a thought.

The (Glen Sather/Jeff Gorton Award

Poster who shows best ability to be a GM etc.

Someone who consistently is logical with their approach toward roster decisions etc. Who to keep and why. How much money and why etc. This may be redundant but I think there are a number of posters with a solid knowledge of CBA/financials and are good talent evaluators that they post almost with a GM mindset.

Just a thought.

I like it, but I get the sense we'll run into an issue where it'll be the same three or four users every other year.

Also, how much overlap against the X's and O's thread?

The Corsi Award for people who don't watch games. :D

LOL, no.

What about changing the Tim Thomas award to a Mike Richter award, he was political for a while, and Thomas is such a douche.

Sure, I'm OK with this. It's more Rangers-centric that way anyway, and maybe even in a way less negative since Thomas is known for his politics in a negative way.

Archived