Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 48

Thread: Québec, Las Vegas Submit Expansion Bids; Seattle Misses Deadline

  1. #21
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    81,791
    Rep Power
    359
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanJesus View Post
    A think Seattle didn't bid because they don't have support for an arena yet. Maybe they're hoping they can relocate an existing team, I don't know. If the Atlanta to Winnipeg move is the precendence on cost, it would be $60M relocation fee instead of a $500M+ expansion fee.

    This was just this year's expansion, I'm sure they'll do this all again next year if they have more serious potential owners. What it does mean is that Seattle, if it is going to get a team, is at least 3 years away imo. Las Vegas most likely for next season, Quebec two years from now.

    As far as realignment, nothing for next year if it is Las Vegas. They simply bring the Western Conference up to 15 teams. If Quebec is next, we'll see how they deal with that. They went 14-16, maybe they'll go 15-17, with the thinking being Seattle would bring the total to 16-17 if they aren't a relocation. If they are, perhaps Florida gets moved, making it 16-16.
    Québec have the arena now. Vidéotron Centre/Arena, which is owned by the city and broke ground in just 2012. It's a brand new arena financed through public funds.





    I'd imagine if Québecor passes whatever business aspects they need to, they'll have the inside track to a return club, even before Vegas, who are still building their arena currently. Québec's arena will be complete by September of this year.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

  2. #22
    I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    AmericanJesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19,402
    Rep Power
    322
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    Québec have the arena now. Vidéotron Centre/Arena, which is owned by the city and broke ground in just 2012. It's a brand new arena financed through public funds.

    I'd imagine if Québecor passes whatever business aspects they need to, they'll have the inside track to a return club, even before Vegas, who are still building their arena currently. Québec's arena will be complete by September of this year.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MGM_-_AEG_Arena

    Las Vegas Arena is a $350 million, 20,000 seat indoor arena under construction on the Las Vegas Strip in Paradise, Nevada. The arena will be owned and operated by the Las Vegas Arena Company,[5][6] a joint venture between MGM Resorts International and AEG Live.

    The arena will be accessed by a new development project known as "The Park", with retail and dining space between New York-New York and the Monte Carlo casino hotels.[7][8][9] The arena is expected to be completed by early 2016.[10]
    Las Vegas has also already taken deposits on 13,000 season tickets, which is why I think they probably have the edge at this point. Could Quebec catch up over the course of this coming year? Sure. But Vegas has been mobilized all of this past year trying to get this done.

  3. #23
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    81,791
    Rep Power
    359
    Well, let's not forget that those "deposits" on tickets were like fifty bucks. The deposit itself required, which I believe is refundable, was minor. It was just a ploy to show an interest gauge in hockey in Vegas. Québec I don't think is going to have much trouble at all filling the arena out of the gate. Same as Winnipeg didn't. The fanbase already exists. It just needs a team to cheer for. Give 'em the Nords again and they'll go lights out. The real issue with Canada is the same one that saw the Jets originally leave — the Canadian dollar is down to like 70 cents on the U.S. dollar.

    But it looks like both Vegas and Québec would have functioning arenas for any 2016-17 expansion.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

  4. #24
    Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    NYR2711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    West Babylon
    Posts
    13,157
    Rep Power
    75
    Problem with Vegas is that they are losing money, badly. The casinos took a huge hit in 2014, its not a booming place anymore. I have a friend who lives there, moved there a couple of years ago when they were expanding like crazy, now, its not as good as it used to be. I see Vegas being good for basketball because the NBA can draw pretty much anyplace, but I don't see it being a draw for hockey. I see it being exactly like the Panthers and Coyotes.

    Didn't Seattle just build a new arena as well? I see them being more viable for an NHL team than Vegas.

  5. #25
    Senior Member Junior Division
    Blue Heaven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Queens
    Posts
    9,776
    Rep Power
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by NYR2711 View Post
    Problem with Vegas is that they are losing money, badly. The casinos took a huge hit in 2014, its not a booming place anymore. I have a friend who lives there, moved there a couple of years ago when they were expanding like crazy, now, its not as good as it used to be. I see Vegas being good for basketball because the NBA can draw pretty much anyplace, but I don't see it being a draw for hockey. I see it being exactly like the Panthers and Coyotes.

    Didn't Seattle just build a new arena as well? I see them being more viable for an NHL team than Vegas.
    While Vegas is still big for casinos they arent aiming their clientele to the gamblers as much anymore. Its has become a party/clubbing scene and a foodie destination. Vegas hockey wont have a strong home team fan base but probably will do a killer job with the out of town fans. Gives fans of opposing teams a vacation destination. Casino's/hotels will also comp a shit ton of tickets to their best clients. Overall that will suck for the Vegas hockey team's "fans" and the players.

  6. #26
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    81,791
    Rep Power
    359
    Quote Originally Posted by NYR2711 View Post
    Problem with Vegas is that they are losing money, badly. The casinos took a huge hit in 2014, its not a booming place anymore. I have a friend who lives there, moved there a couple of years ago when they were expanding like crazy, now, its not as good as it used to be. I see Vegas being good for basketball because the NBA can draw pretty much anyplace, but I don't see it being a draw for hockey. I see it being exactly like the Panthers and Coyotes.

    Didn't Seattle just build a new arena as well? I see them being more viable for an NHL team than Vegas.
    No. Seattle needs an arena, which is why it's largely believed they didn't meet the NHL's deadline for expansion review. It's believed the league has heavy interest in the city, but like with any talk of expansion or relocation, an arena is at the forefront. It's a requirement, or the agreement to build one is, before they can even have preliminary talks about placing a team there.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

  7. #27
    I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    AmericanJesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19,402
    Rep Power
    322
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    Well, let's not forget that those "deposits" on tickets were like fifty bucks. The deposit itself required, which I believe is refundable, was minor. It was just a ploy to show an interest gauge in hockey in Vegas. Québec I don't think is going to have much trouble at all filling the arena out of the gate. Same as Winnipeg didn't. The fanbase already exists. It just needs a team to cheer for. Give 'em the Nords again and they'll go lights out. The real issue with Canada is the same one that saw the Jets originally leave — the Canadian dollar is down to like 70 cents on the U.S. dollar.

    But it looks like both Vegas and Québec would have functioning arenas for any 2016-17 expansion.
    Yes, they have to be refundable because they don't have a team yet. It's unclear whether they can be refunded if they do get a team, but I'd imagine they can't be. Here are the rates:

    https://www.vegaswantshockey.com/BuyTickets

    You can see both the cheapest ($150 deposit, 1 year minimum) and most expensive ($900, 3 year minimum) have sold out. I'm sure the most expensive ones were corporate buys for the most part.

  8. #28
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    81,791
    Rep Power
    359
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanJesus View Post
    Yes, they have to be refundable because they don't have a team yet. It's unclear whether they can be refunded if they do get a team, but I'd imagine they can't be. Here are the rates:

    https://www.vegaswantshockey.com/BuyTickets

    You can see both the cheapest ($150 deposit, 1 year minimum) and most expensive ($900, 3 year minimum) have sold out. I'm sure the most expensive ones were corporate buys for the most part.
    Right. There you go, the actual numbers. I figured my fifty bucks thing was short, but I did remember the number being relatively low — far lower than the cost of actual season tickets or partial season ticket plans, for example.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

  9. #29
    I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    AmericanJesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19,402
    Rep Power
    322
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    Right. There you go, the actual numbers. I figured my fifty bucks thing was short, but I did remember the number being relatively low — far lower than the cost of actual season tickets or partial season ticket plans, for example.
    Sure. But it's still not nothing assuming if they get a team it isn't refundable. If you lived in Vegas and this was going on, would you spend $150 to reserve the right to get a season ticket if you weren't really planning on getting it? And most people probably reserve at least two. Now, some percentage of these are probably ticket brokers, but still.

  10. #30
    Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    NYR2711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    West Babylon
    Posts
    13,157
    Rep Power
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Heaven View Post
    While Vegas is still big for casinos they arent aiming their clientele to the gamblers as much anymore. Its has become a party/clubbing scene and a foodie destination. Vegas hockey wont have a strong home team fan base but probably will do a killer job with the out of town fans. Gives fans of opposing teams a vacation destination. Casino's/hotels will also comp a shit ton of tickets to their best clients. Overall that will suck for the Vegas hockey team's "fans" and the players.
    With the Casino's/Hotels losing tons of money, I doubt they are going to invest in hockey tickets, its not going to draw for them. Vegas is going down, with less people going there. Its not the big party place like it used to be, and people can't afford it anymore, the area has gone down a lot. If the arena isn't on the strip, vacationers aren't going to it.

  11. #31
    The Dolphin Whisperer BSBH Rookie
    Morphinity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    28,318
    Rep Power
    351
    Quote Originally Posted by NYR2711 View Post
    With the Casino's/Hotels losing tons of money, I doubt they are going to invest in hockey tickets, its not going to draw for them. Vegas is going down, with less people going there. Its not the big party place like it used to be, and people can't afford it anymore, the area has gone down a lot. If the arena isn't on the strip, vacationers aren't going to it.
    It's as close to the strip as it can possibly be.



    Right behind New York, New York and Monte Carlo.

  12. #32
    The artist formerly known as Mr. Smith Junior Division
    High and Wide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    PJNY
    Posts
    6,233
    Rep Power
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    Quebec will be a disaster. Zero corporate support and the Canadian dollar will be hovering around .70 cents for the next decade. No way. Winnipeg will be lucky to keep their team over the next decade.
    Glad someone brought this up. Another Canadian team with the CDN the way it is now will stagnate cap growth because of an increased Canadian market share. As much as I'd like to see a team in Quebec again, financially, it doesn't make much sense for the league. The fact that there almost wasn't a cap increase this year is a testament to that.
    Hidden Content

    Did everything just taste purple for a second?

  13. #33
    Resident Garbage Clown BSBH Prospect
    Dunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,744
    Rep Power
    188
    And the Canadian dollar won't go up either, Bank of Canada is doing everything in it's power to depress it's value so we can get back to exporting shit. Only way the Canadian dollar gets back to anywhere near par is if Oil hits $100 + a barrel again, and that ain't gonna happen any time soon.



    Anyways, anyone that builds an arena for billionaire professional sports team owners with public funds should be thrown in jail.

  14. #34
    Senior Member Junior Division
    Blue Heaven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Queens
    Posts
    9,776
    Rep Power
    79
    http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...artner=ya5nbcs


    In an interview with the Boston Globe, Bettman conceded that, should Las Vegas and Quebec City be granted expansion franchises, both new teams could end up in the Western Conference.
    “The answer is that’s something we would obviously have to consider,” Bettman said of putting Quebec City in a conference with the likes of Vancouver, Los Angeles, Anaheim, and San Jose, and in a Central Division (presumably) with teams as far-flung as Dallas and Denver, the closest being Chicago.

  15. #35
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    81,791
    Rep Power
    359
    Brutal. Just brutal.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

  16. #36
    //reported Junior Division
    booze and wingz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    7,447
    Rep Power
    54
    expand to vegas and QC and roll with 17 and 15 for a few seasons.
    let seattle put in a bid and relocate florida to seattle.

    /perfectworld
    Out: Girardi, Klein, Stepan, Raanta
    In: Shattenkirk, Desharnais, Pavalec, DeAngelo/Bereglazalov/Pionk

  17. #37
    In Vigneault, Veritas BSBH Prospect
    G1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    16,636
    Rep Power
    120
    Put Florida in the West.

    Seriously. They can't draw as it is. Put financial pressure on the ownership group to sell and relocate. Don't do it to a new franchise in a hockey-mad market.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

  18. #38
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    81,791
    Rep Power
    359
    @reporterchris: Bill Foley's Las Vegas ownership group says the NHL has invited it to participate in the second stage of the three-stage expansion process.

    --

    Interesting there's no note as to whether Québec was also invited to the second stage? League doesn't exactly seem thrilled with the idea of a team there.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

  19. #39
    Former Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Cash or Czech?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    16,537
    Rep Power
    64
    What is the second stage? I didn't see a breakdown anywhere in the thread, it's probably in a link.

  20. #40
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    81,791
    Rep Power
    359
    Not sure, Alex. I don't think I've ever read what the stages are.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •