Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Thread: Rangers Interested in D Robbie Russo

  1. #1
    Let's talk about stickers Junior Division
    TwoMinutesForNothing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    6,796
    Rep Power
    60

    Rangers Interested in D Robbie Russo

    Unconfirmed rumor, but Russo is an Islanders prospect who is still unsigned and will be a free agent in August after finishing his career at Notre Dame. Right handed Dman would put up a very impressive 15 goals and 41 points in 40 games this season. Makes sense for the Rangers to be interested because they are always after these types of NCAA Dmen and I'm sure they have seen plenty of him from watching Fogarty. Russo put up 15 points in 21 games last season before being ruled academically ineligible for the 2nd half of the season. He reportedly used the time off to add size and improve his defensive game.

  2. #2
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    82,379
    Rep Power
    366
    Unconfirmed rumor from whom though? Is this something you are hearing?
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  3. #3
    Formerly Richter Redux Midget Division
    Ranger Lothbrok's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    4,506
    Rep Power
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoMinutesForNothing View Post
    Unconfirmed rumor, but Russo is an Islanders prospect who is still unsigned and will be a free agent in August after finishing his career at Notre Dame. Right handed Dman would put up a very impressive 15 goals and 41 points in 40 games this season. Makes sense for the Rangers to be interested because they are always after these types of NCAA Dmen and I'm sure they have seen plenty of him from watching Fogarty. Russo put up 15 points in 21 games last season before being ruled academically ineligible for the 2nd half of the season. He reportedly used the time off to add size and improve his defensive game.
    "Academically ineligible." Wonder if he's one of those guys that couldn't make the cut GPA wise.

  4. #4
    Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Puck Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    10,597
    Rep Power
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Lothbrok View Post
    "Academically ineligible." Wonder if he's one of those guys that couldn't make the cut GPA wise.
    Last year there was a crackdown on across the board as far as eligibility in hockey.

    My co worker had a son playing at UAA, 3.9 national honor student, but changed majors (to get his E.E.), and it was determined he did not have enough credits applied to his major. He was ruled ineligible 2nd half of last season and his senior year will serve as a full time assistant.

    At UAF (my alumni), we had 4 players ruled ineligible for this, and also had to forfeit multiple games last season.

    In the case of Russo, it was simply not making his GPA

  5. #5
    Let's talk about stickers Junior Division
    TwoMinutesForNothing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    6,796
    Rep Power
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    Unconfirmed rumor from whom though? Is this something you are hearing?
    It's coming from a poster on a blog called Rangers Fan Central. I can't speak for the legitimacy of it, but it is being discussed on HF as though the poster is reputable, but like I said, it's a "rumor". I would definitely expect the Rangers to go after the kid though.

  6. #6
    Junior Member Ranger 11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Born in Manhatten grew up in W.Hempstead LI and live upstate NY now
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    0
    It's not too far fetched to think they're looking at getting this kid. With all the talk about maybe moving Klein for salary dumping purposes the Rangers would most likely look to replace the right handed shot for a low cost. So who knows maybe there's truth to this.

  7. #7
    a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    Respecttheblue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    N.Y.
    Posts
    9,489
    Rep Power
    80
    Something tells me the Icelanders will not let him walk to New York as easily as that, especially if they sniff that we are interested. Is there something that is preventing them from signing him before he becomes a Free Agent in August?
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones.

  8. #8
    Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Puck Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    10,597
    Rep Power
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by Respecttheblue View Post
    Something tells me the Icelanders will not let him walk to New York as easily as that, especially if they sniff that we are interested. Is there something that is preventing them from signing him before he becomes a Free Agent in August?
    Just him.
    He may as well wait a few weeks and see what else is out there.

  9. #9
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    82,379
    Rep Power
    366
    @NYP_Brooksie: Told that Rangers will NOT be bidding for Robbie Russo when Notre Dame defenseman becomes UFA tomorrow. NYI 4th-rounder in 2011.
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  10. #10
    Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Puck Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    10,597
    Rep Power
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    @NYP_Brooksie: Told that Rangers will NOT be bidding for Robbie Russo when Notre Dame defenseman becomes UFA tomorrow. NYI 4th-rounder in 2011.
    We don't have the cap space to compete for his services.

  11. #11
    Former Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Cash or Czech?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    16,589
    Rep Power
    69
    Or the contract space. Currently at 49.

  12. #12
    #MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    82,379
    Rep Power
    366
    @DetroitRedWings: UPDATE: The #RedWings have agreed to terms with defenseman Robbie Russo on a two-year entry level contract. http://t.co/rDoauK8Xzf
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  13. #13
    Former Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Cash or Czech?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    16,589
    Rep Power
    69
    Makes sense for the Wings. They have a very small group of right handed defensemen and they've had success with college free agents like DeKeyser.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Kevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    2,757
    Rep Power
    41
    I'd be pissed if we lost a player in this fashion. I know it has benefited us in the past but if the shoe was on the other foot I'd get annoyed. Do the Isles get compensation now from Detroit or the league in the next draft?

  15. #15
    Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    74,851
    Rep Power
    438
    Believe they get a sandwich pick between 1st and 2nd. The 31st pick.

  16. #16
    Shawcappella BSBH Prospect
    Drew a Penalty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    13,815
    Rep Power
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Believe they get a sandwich pick between 1st and 2nd. The 31st pick.
    Only happens if you lose a first round and then it would be wherever they were picked plus 30.

  17. #17
    Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    74,851
    Rep Power
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew a Penalty View Post
    Only happens if you lose a first round and then it would be wherever they were picked plus 30.
    So there's no compensation?

  18. #18
    Junior Member Mite Division NYguitarguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    27
    Rep Power
    3
    We're batting .500 signing College seniors. Kevin Hayes Matt Conroy

  19. #19
    Shawcappella BSBH Prospect
    Drew a Penalty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    13,815
    Rep Power
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    So there's no compensation?
    No compensation. It's only if you lose a first rounder.

  20. #20
    Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    74,851
    Rep Power
    438
    Weak.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •