• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

AMC's 'Preacher'

The Dude

He's a writer, not acting in it, so it's premature to suggest he'll ruin it. If he were the lead, I'd agree with you out of the gate, because he's the worst actor in Hollywood.

I dont mind his acting, but to trust the guy who made Green Hornet into a pile of shit, is just wrong. Have you seen the casting? Tulip is no longer a skinny blonde white girl.

VYLA Quincannon??? No "pluck the worm smear the cheese"?

Judging by whats listed as the cast, they have already rearranged the story and made their own characters.

Im already disappointed.

• 3 months later...

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTYxODQ0MTA5MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODM5MTY3NjE@._V1__SX1159_SY1169_.jpg

Preacher tells the story of Jesse Custer, a preacher in the small Texas town of Annville. Custer is accidentally possessed by the supernatural creature named Genesis in an incident which killed his entire congregation and flattened his church. Genesis, the product of the unauthorized, unnatural coupling of an angel and a demon, is an infant with no sense of individual will. However, as it is composed of both pure goodness and pure evil, it might have enough power to rival that of God Himself. In other words, Jesse Custer, bonded to Genesis, may have become the most powerful being in the universe.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1316546/

Teaser.

First official trailer will air during The Walking Dead this Sunday.

• 6 months later...
There is so much to catch up on though, and that will cost a lot of money. lol Wife already told me I have too many comics.

You would breeze through it in two weeks. It's that good. It's probably available on Kindle for pretty cheap.

You can't have too many comics, if you dont have Preacher. LOL.

• 1 month later...
I'm loving this series. Super underrated.

As a huge fan boy. I agree. Shits all over the place and different, but yeah. I'm digging it.

Going head to head with Game of Thrones wasn't all that good of an idea. Probably why it's underrated.

It's really nowhere near the source material. For some reason I don't mind it. I'd rather they go by the book and get it over with, because it seems like they are trying to add more to an already long well told story.

It's got its moments though where it seems like something Ennis would have put in the story. Yes others where he wouldn't.

Rarely are the comics ever held true to television. For good reason. Most of it doesn't translate well, especially in dollars. Take Watchmen for example. Think about what it might have cost them to stay true to the source material and end the film with a giant alien squid destroying Manhattan instead of the bomb. Now, beyond the cost, tell me that the bomb wasn't simply an easier, smarter solution. In the comics, the giant alien squid is fine. On telelvision/film it'd come across as exceedingly stupid.

I never read the full Preacher line. Just Gone to Texas, but it was so long ago I don't even remember it. This is essentially brand new to me. But what they're doing is working.

If people wouldn't get the end of the comic, why is the comic so popular and why bother making the movie to begin with? I disagree with that thinking and have had the same discussion with friends to no avail. I feel watchmen stayed very close to the comic and the end should have been the original ending. I don't think cost of a dead giant octopus would have put weight a nuke by all that much.

Preacher has a close "feel" the the original material except for the entire story. Nothing. Nothing at all is by the book. It is funny. It is crazy. It's shot well. It's not Preacher.

You're crossing streams. I said that the comic ending would have been exceptionally more expensive and with a lesser payoff because it would be more difficult to relate to from the perspective of an average viewer (who we need to presume has not read the novel). The bomb was a simpler, safer, more easily understandable conclusion.

Or try this -- talk to anyone who watched Watchmen that didn't read the novel. Tell them the original ending and ask which they'd prefer if all things are equal. Same movie. Two endings. Which is better?

As to Preacher, like I said, I can't speak to what they are or aren't changing, but what they're doing is great television. Compelling storylines, relatable characters, clear character progression/regression, etc.

You're crossing streams. I said that the comic ending would have been exceptionally more expensive and with a lesser payoff because it would be more difficult to relate to from the perspective of an average viewer (who we need to presume has not read the novel). The bomb was a simpler, safer, more easily understandable conclusion.

Or try this -- talk to anyone who watched Watchmen that didn't read the novel. Tell them the original ending and ask which they'd prefer if all things are equal. Same movie. Two endings. Which is better?

As to Preacher, like I said, I can't speak to what they are or aren't changing, but what they're doing is great television. Compelling storylines, relatable characters, clear character progression/regression, etc.

I'm saying the ending wouldn't have been more expensive.. I'm not crossing streams. I'm disagreeing with your comment which has not one single truth to it.

As for the pay off..... The source material is what got the movie made to begin with. Why bother making it if you're going to change it? Rip it off then. Don't call it Watchmen. Call it something else. Change the characters too.

I liked the Watchmen movie. Ending and all. Because it had the feel of the comic. It looked great. Some scenes back grounds and all were lifted straight from the book. I'm pretty sure for the special edition DVD, they may have had the alternate ending. I'll have to check that .

As for your take on Preacher, then great. Call it Garth Ennis's Texas church show. Because it isn't Preacher.

Tulip isn't black, nor did she live with Jesse as a child, Jesse didn't pray for his dad's death, Arsface didn't shoot a girl in the head, sheriff Root isn't nice, Quincannon doesn't win Jesse's land in a bet, Genesis didn't live in a coffee can, you don't find out that Cassidy is/was a drug addict and runs away with Tulip until close to the end of the books...there's just so much they have already changed from the book that it's not even the same story at all. Entertaining yes. Preacher? No

Short answer -- because not every filmmaker or director or producer shares the same vision you do of holding truer than true to source contents. Some -- most, really -- enjoy the source enough to want to bring their adaptation of it to life. They add and subtract as they see fit. Sometimes they butcher it, sometimes not. But I can't think of anyone who has produced non-original content and not changed something.

Archived