Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello, Pluto

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Yea I second that, amazing feat by NASA and their scientists.

I'm always been fascinated how their scientists and mathematicians can figure out how to sling shot moons and planets to get to where they want a craft or probe, mind you billions of miles from Earth.

Makes you really think that if we continue to strive and work had for it, we may not be that far away from super light technology and travel where these kind of missions can be done in weeks or months as opposed to years and decades

Do any of you guys know how long its been taking these transmissions from New Horizons to bounce back to earth?

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by I am Scags View Post
    Yea I second that, amazing feat by NASA and their scientists.

I'm always been fascinated how their scientists and mathematicians can figure out how to sling shot moons and planets to get to where they want a craft or probe, mind you billions of miles from Earth.

Makes you really think that if we continue to strive and work had for it, we may not be that far away from super light technology and travel where these kind of missions can be done in weeks or months as opposed to years and decades

Do any of you guys know how long its been taking these transmissions from New Horizons to bounce back to earth?
    Around 42 minutes to return one LORRI photo to Earth. NH only transmits at most 1 kilobit per second. That's kilo bit, not kilo byte.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

lol

That's amazing

The Dolphin Whisperer BSBH Rookie
    This image of Pluto's surface is amazing

Wow. That is gorgeous.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    Thats awesome, are they going to try to land on it? I would love to see surface photos. Still don't get why they dropped it from being a planet.

Awesome. The light has probably been added for affect though, since our sun from Pluto's distance would appear like nothing more than just a bright star we might see on a normal clear night.
    I would figure that being on Pluto its almost completely pitch black, the only light you might get would be from the stars and maybe some of the light given off from the glow of the galaxy itself. The clarity would have to be near perfect since there is no atmosphere on pluto

The Dolphin Whisperer BSBH Rookie
    Extremely high resolution photo, just shy of 70MB. 56K, data plan warning.

https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/f...ed_release.png

...and wallpaper!
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12