• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Draft [C] Brad Morrison 4th Rd (113th) Pick

Drew a Penalty

2015_4_Morrison.png

Name: Brad Morrison

Position: C

Shoots: Left

Current Team: Prince George Cougars (WHL)

Hockey's Future Profile: N/A

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=199394

A clever, dexterous forward who plays with jump and jam. Possesses the speed and cunning to create separation, and has the individual skills and puckhandling ability to make the best use of any time and space earned. Works hard in the corners, but can get rubbed out when not careful. All-in-all, a speedy, skilled forward who can carry and direct plays with ease.

http://thehockeywriters.com/5-undersized-forwards-available-later-in-the-nhl-draft/

At 5′ 11″ this centerman for the Prince George Cougars would not ordinarily be classed as undersized. The issue with Morrison is his weight: he’s around 160 lbs. As you might expect he’s a fantastic skater who has explosive speed, and he can produce on the scoresheet, registering 23-26-49 points in 67 WHL games this past season.

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.ca/2015/05/final-whl-rankings-2015-nhl-draft.html

Brad Morrison is a speedy and dynamic forward for the Prince George Cougars…is most definitely one of the fastest pure skaters from the WHL in this year’s NHL draft class…regularly catches defenders on their heels and flat-footed due to his quick bursts to the outside…has extremely good acceleration and can get up to top speed in only a few strides…looks light on his skates while he flies around, having the ability to change directions and make defenders miss…skates with a slightly hunched stance, making him look much smaller than he’s listed…despite his lack of size and weight he doesn’t back down…plays an aggressive style of offensive game and excels in traffic, going to the crease and to tough areas…receives the puck well and has purely skilled hands…shoots the puck well…wrister is hard and accurate…does a good job getting shots away despite traffic and sticks…can shoot in stride…often follows his shot to the net, looking for rebounds…has good hand-eye co-ordination on deflections and for knocking elevated passes out of mid-air…an extremely smart offensive player who is dangerous off the rush and off the cycle due to his ability to take advantage of holes in a defence…does suffer a bit from tunnel vision at times, failing to use his linemates as well as he could…seemed to be a bit selfish at times when the puck was on his stick and I think making that one extra pass might do wonders for his game and give him another element of offensive punch…owns a relentless motor off the puck…attacks in situations when he doesn’t have the puck…isn’t a super strong defensive player but he isn’t simply running around chasing the play…his good hands and quick stick help him defensively, making up for his lack of mass…while he may not have a boatload of defensive value to his game currently, his speed and work ethic could make him a decent two-way forward and penalty killer in certain situations if he really works at that part of his game over the next 3-4+ years

Current Statistics

HockeyDB.com Page: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=161932

Team Player Page: http://pgcougars.com/roster/bio/210295

• 2 weeks later...

Interview with Blueshirts United

http://www.blueshirtsunited.com/article/getting-know-brad-morrison

He's a player who capitalizes on opportunities right around the blue paint.

"I'm one of those guys that if I'm going to score a goal, it's going to be around the net," he said. "I've got quick hands in front of the net and a good life on my shot up close. I can make plays and I like using my skating to my advantage.

Despite standing 6-foot, Morrison weighs in at 160 pounds. But don't expect him to be a player who shies away from the physicality. Throughout Thursday's scrimmage sessions, Morrison threw his body around in pursuit of the puck. He didn't back down when matched up against fellow Rangers prospect Troy Donnay, who stands 6-foot-7, 205 pounds.

"...I think think to get into those areas in front of the net and the corners, you can't be one of those guys that's afraid to be there. I think a lot of success can come from being that type of player."

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
His pace hasn't slowed down much. 7g, 14a in 18 games. Leads the team in assists and points. Prince George is first place in their division as well, with an 8 point advantage over the next closest team. Could mean good things going into next year if Morrison can truly lead a team to a first place finish in the WHL.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
why did we draft him if we were gonna give up on him so quickly? over some of the trash we kept?

There could be any number of reasons, but most likely because he's not good enough to be a pro. With 75 points in 74 games this was his best junior season, as an over ager. Those are pretty underwhelming junior numbers. He just happens to be having a ridiculously hot start to the playoffs.

Props to him for carrying his team in the playoffs but he's still not good. He's dominating as a 21-year-old with bad advanced stats. He produces well relative to his ice time, but isn't a consistent driver of play and lacks defensive ability. For a guy without any standout traits, he's just dominating at a low level. He's nine months older than Ronning and he was worse across the board everywhere except the playoffs. The Rangers shouldn't waste their time.

Archived