• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Draft [LW] Ryan Gropp 2nd Rd (41st) Pick

Drew a Penalty

2015_2_Gropp.png

Name: Ryan Gropp

Position: LW

Shoots: Left

Current Team: Seattle Thunderbirds (WHL)

Hockey's Future Profile: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/ryan-gropp/

http://lastwordonsports.com/2015/06/08/nhl-draft-profile-62-ryan-gropp/

Ryan Gropp has good size at 6’3″ and is willing to use it to protect the puck and to battle in and around the net. Gropp is pure a sniper with the soft hands to finish plays in close, and an excellent wrist shot and release to score from further out. Many may see the size and think of Gropp as a potential power forward in the making and he does love to drive the net. There are times he can dominate the game physically getting in quickly on the forecheck and punishing defenseman, but there are other times where he appears disinterested in going to the tough areas. He needs to get out of the habit of staying on the perimeter and relying solely on his powerful shot and release to do the work, as this will not happen at higher levels. He has the vision to make plays off the wing, and some solid passing skills, but he does prefer to shoot if given the choice.

Gropp has the potential to be a top 6 winger, but there are some big questions about his intensity level and consistency. If he can get those under control, he has the skill to be a real steal at the NHL draft. At his best, Gropp’s game can resemble Max Pacioretty of the Montreal Canadiens, but this is a stylistic comparison and not one based on talent level.

http://www.tsn.ca/ryan-gropp-left-wing-1.295635

Gropp has good all-around skills and has the ability to contribute offensively by getting to the net and having a very good finishing touch in scoring areas. Reads plays well and gets himself open to get the puck. Not a rugged player but with his size he can be difficult to deter and with more assertiveness, can make it more difficult for defenders.

Current Statistics

HockeyDB.com Page:http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=153101

Team Player Page:http://www.seattlethunderbirds.com/roster/bio/212799

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was down on the pick at first given that Kylington and several others were still on the board, but he's a solid pick. In fact the first few picks for the Rangers seem to be quite good. They went for scorers with legitimate potential. They didn't go for the big risks, but I'd say they took far more risks this season than most seasons in the past.

The good thing about Gropp is that he isn't just size for the sake of size ie. Ryan Mantha. He's size with talent and that's a good mixture if he pans out. Rangers like to get big grinders, but it isn't often they nab a big scorer.

His name sounds more like he should be an offensive lineman. I don't like reading about lack of consistent work ethic but hopefully that is something that the coaching staff can correct...

some said the same thing about duke buchnevich about work ethic. Personally i dont buy when scouts say that about players. I really like the pick

some said the same thing about duke buchnevich about work ethic. Personally i dont buy when scouts say that about players. I really like the pick

Effort really wasn't a big problem in Buchnevich's game. It was more of a lacking in defense.

Duclair still has problems with effort so you can't say it as if it's a thing of the past. He absolutely dragged his feet when he got sent back down to Quebec and that was a likely a large factor in his being dealt. He has the tools, but it was a reason he got drafted in the third and a reason he became expendable.

Sounds like another Kreider, but with maybe less speed and a more accurate shot. Not a bad choice at #59

I realize there were sexier names left, but we've seen in previous drafts that there's usually a reason those guys fall. If 10-15 teams pass on you in a later round that's not a good sign

Sounds like another Kreider, but with maybe less speed and a more accurate shot. Not a bad choice at #59

I realize there were sexier names left, but we've seen in previous drafts that there's usually a reason those guys fall. If 10-15 teams pass on you in a later round that's not a good sign

Most players get passed over. Doesn't really mean anything. You were a big proponent of Duclair who fell and was passed over by every team at least twice.

Funny thing is....with the character in our locker-room, I think we can correct work ethic issues if we can expose him to the right people.

Give this kid McDonagh's pairing. Let him see what it takes. Get him on Kreider's regimen. Given the right ingredients, we can turn this kid into a monster.

He maintained the same point per game without Barzal. He was actually .02 above his point per game with him. I fail to see how that's indicative. If anything it shows he played the same.

Correct my point rather was this wasn't a Grachev situation, but one where he showed he could contribute on his own.

• 1 month later...

I like his eye hand snipe (reminds me of St. Louis)

and his sense of positioning to get open, right place, right time, for the loose puck or receiving the pass -- I hope we don't stifle that aspect of his play. But that's OK, Renney and Torts are gone.:bravery:

He can cut to the net too, in a couple of goals there. Nice height, As he adds mass to that height, I'd imagine he'll be able to compete better at the NHL level. And maybe he'll be right "there" come the time he's ready to play here -- assuming no trades in the meantime.

couple of comments from T-Birds ticket holders under that

RogerRoids (vis Sam Campbell): T-birds season ticket holder and life long Rangers fan here. Thrilled to see him in both jerseys now. He has mad skill. Not super flashy always, but a sniper/goal scorer that gets the job done, gets points, and has a positive impact almost every game. Sort of like a Kevin Hayes player who can also snipe.

Sam Campbell: Offense offense and offense. He's most definitely a natural goal scorer/sniper, but he also can make outstanding no look passes and makes difficult plays with ease. He has good vision and reads plays very well. His skating his solid. In my opinion, he is late 1st round material, so him slipping to earlyish 2nd round was a bit surprising for me. How he got drafted after Paul Bittner (another dub player who I watch a lot, and not even close to as good of a player as Gropp) is beyond me.

• 1 month later...

http://www.kamloopsbcnow.com/watercooler/sports/news/Sports/15/10/19/Two_Kamloops_Players_to_Play_Against_Team_Russia_at_Sandman_Centre/

The Western Hockey League has announced the roster for the upcoming Canada-Russia Series and it features two NHL prospects from Kamloops.

Hometown products Joe Hicketts of the Victoria Royals and Ryan Gropp of the Seattle Thunderbirds will take to the ice when Kamloops hosts the second game of the exhibition series on Tuesday, November 10th.

Gropp is in his third season with the Thunderbirds. He was selected in the second round, 41st overall, by the New York Rangers in June. The 19-year-old has two goals and two assists in four games this season.

• 1 month later...

A little good news for prospect lovers ... Gropp with a natural hattie and racking up the points.

John Rosasco ‏@JRNYR 5h5 hours ago

After last night's hat trick, Ryan Gropp now has a goal in 6 of the last 7 (8-3-11) and in 8 of the last 11 (11-5-16 +7).

Currently according to the Seattle Thunderbirds/WHL site

18gp 13g 7a 20pts +11 10 3 0 1.11 0.56

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived