• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

How to get belongings back from an ex?

The Dude

Hey guys/girls. I've been on and off with what is now my ex girlfriend. 5 years later we just don't work. Its ending ugly. After 4 years we split, and I moved out. But I kept seeing her because, well we were dynamite in bed and I didn't want it to end really. I got attached to her kids and missed my lil family. We fell apart again, and she is moving on. Im annoyed and upset...

Anyway, I left the house she lived in over a year ago, yet have been seeing her almost daily up until recently. But I loaded that house up when I DID live there. Im in serious debt from the relationship (sucker/idiot). Anyway, I want some of the shit back that is there. Is it petty to want my 55" LED TV, my 40" LCD, my surround sound, my xbox and various clothes and belongings? I mean, put a new fridge, dishwasher, and boiler in the fucking house. Am I not entitled to some things I want back?

She will not let me into the house to get it. Im not threatening to break in or anything. Im being civil in that regard. I just want what I am still paying for. What do I do?

Anyone ever have to do this? Is this petty and I should just walk away?

Send her this text.....

"Can't wait to run this tongue over your body again tonight, but babe...I'm going to be running a bit late....still trying to figure out how to get my stuff back from that dumb bitch I told you about"

Then don't ever bother talking to her again or replying, (this is key).

Grow a beard, drink beer, and screw lots of women...you can buy another xbox....you can't buy back you nutsack.

I feel for you, dude. Awful situation to be in. Not only is your relationship finished, but you feel almost like you got robbed on top of it.

My suggestion is maybe to wait this out a bit longer. Let things settle down a bit before you try again.

please ignore everything posted from here on out

Send her this text.....

"Can't wait to run this tongue over your body again tonight, but babe...I'm going to be running a bit late....still trying to figure out how to get my stuff back from that dumb bitch I told you about"

Grow a beard, drink beer, and screw lots of women...you can buy another xbox....you can't buy back you nutsack.

DO THIS

Send her this text.....

Hahahahahahaha.

Yeah. Its kinda petty i guess. But fuck i loved that..... tv.

It's not really petty, I mean it is your stuff.

The problem is how far do you want this to go. If the stuff is in her house and she won't let you back in, you can either A. Go to court, prove the stuff is yours and go through the process, which ends up with her giving the stuff back or you coming with an officer to get said stuff back, or B. Just walk away, save up for some new stuff (55 inch LED is like $600, more if it was Smart, and the Xbox One is going for like $350) and pretending this never even happened. As stated, these are just things. You can buy them again. Again, this is mostly your choice here, its a matter of how far you want to go. Personally, i'd just let it go, unless you want to end up on Judge Judy or some shit.

My question is, did you share accounts on something like Netflix or Amazon Prime? Because if you did, you could change the password and hold it hostage until she gives in. I've heard of people doing this, but it depends on alot, like being attached to Netflix or HBO or something.

Send her this text.....

A part of me agrees with this. A bigger part of me, and a much more stupid part of me would find a polite way to get her to agree to let me get me stuff back. When I get inside, I break all items that were mine beyond repair, including the dishwasher and fridge, then leave. Why? Just because.

Send her this text.....

THIS!

I'd just leave the stuff and move on tbh, there's probably something she spent money on during the relationship that she can't get back now.

Cost of doing business. You traded 1st round picks for a chance at a Cup. You didn't win it, so it's time to rebuild. Easiest way to do that is to not hold onto previous success and instead start from where you are and get going on another run at it with a new core.

Or go gay.

You know, either one really.

You guys talking about these are "just things" must make a lot of money, because I can't think of many friends or family who could afford to go out and buy a brand new HD TV, XBox One, etc. It would take years to re-acquire all that stuff.

Good luck! My ex-fiance owed me $6000 and I gave up trying to get that. It sucks that she has all of your items and the amount of shit that you put into the house, however the TV/XBox are materialistic items that can be replaced. It might be easier to forget about it then go through the hassle of trying to get it back.

If you paid for everything, and she didn't give a dime, then you are entitled to it back, but you also need to prove that this wasn't a gift for the kids. Unfortunately, the only way your going to be able to get your stuff back is through small claims court, this is a civil matter. If you go that route, then your gonna need proof that you bought them and paid for it. Was any of this stuff yours before you two were together? Its a rough situation, sorry you have to go through this. Sometimes though, you might be better off doing what Puck said. The only other option is to get her to split the the cost of everything with you for whatever else you owe on the bills.

You guys talking about these are "just things" must make a lot of money, because I can't think of many friends or family who could afford to go out and buy a brand new HD TV, XBox One, etc. It would take years to re-acquire all that stuff.

Yes, it would. But if the ex wants to, it could take years to get it from her (legally). Hiring a lawyer would cost significantly more and doing all the paper work to represent yourself in court is a daunting task. Not to mention the day(s) of work you'll miss trying to deal with this stuff legally.

It isn't so much about making a good choice here, there really is no good choice. So you're picking the least shitty choice. In this case, it's probably just letting it all go. The only other sane option is to give it some time, then reach out and ask nicely. Be prepared to at best make some concessions (you keep one TV, I'll take the other. Let me get the Xbox since you're keeping the home improvements).

Might still be worth taking a look at small claims court, since you seem to be able to prove what you bought with credit card statements. Bring as much paper work as you can to that, even for items you don't want back to show you're being fair.

The is why, unfortunately, its hard to have stuff when your with someone else as bf/gf. As a married couple, everything is split down the middle, but as bf/gf, you need to prove this stuff wasn't a gift or that you bought it for yourself, unless you come into the relationship owning it prior to moving in together. The hassle and cost you would have to go through is sometimes easier to just write it off as a lesson learned, depending on how far you want to go.

Yes, it would. But if the ex wants to, it could take years to get it from her (legally). Hiring a lawyer would cost significantly more and doing all the paper work to represent yourself in court is a daunting task. Not to mention the day(s) of work you'll miss trying to deal with this stuff legally.

It isn't so much about making a good choice here, there really is no good choice. So you're picking the least shitty choice. In this case, it's probably just letting it all go. The only other sane option is to give it some time, then reach out and ask nicely. Be prepared to at best make some consessions (you keep one TV, I'll take the other. Let me get the Xbox since you're keeping the home improvements).

This, but depending on how much it all adds up to, and unfortunately just because you paid $800 for a TV 3 years ago, doesn't mean its still worth $800, you probably won't need a lawyer and can go through small claims court. But yo still have to pay a fee, and like you said, you have to take time off work, and you could go back a couple of times. The actual time itself you spend, may not be worth it once your taking 3 days off of work, and sitting there all day to find out that the case has been moved to another day.

Thanks all. Just gonna let it go. I don't have the time to do small claims court. Not worth the trouble I guess.

Another good deed done by me. Fuckin bitch... lol.

That's the other upside. Any time you need to refer to her in the future, you can say, "that cunt [insert ex's name]..."

Do you want the real answer? If you are in Long Island you will probably have to file a domestic incident report and go to family court to see a judge and plead your case. Bring receipts, records of you making all and any payments, and if the judge agrees, he will set aside a time and list of what she legally has to give back. Things that are considered "joint" ownership, like as in it was bought for both of you to use, probably wont be granted to you unless you can show that u paid for every part of it. If you yeo lived together, it can help or hurt your case. If you lived seperate from her and bought these things for you to use at her place, it will be considered a gift and yer s.o.l usually.

Be mindful, if you forcefully take or remove things without her or a courts permission, you could be opening yourself up for some serious legal trouble.

Reading your post though, if you left over a hear ago and just now trying to get the stiff back, i think you aremt going to have much success.

Archived