Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: We're Watching the Long Overdue Death of the Confederate Flag Happen Before Our Eyes

Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    That's not a question I can answer. I already said I agree it's hypocritical and an overreaction. All I'm saying is that I can understand why any private company would want to distance itself from being associated with that symbol right now.
    Its still a huge over reaction by these companies though for no reason. Its not like its their own logo. And whats even worse is that ebay is dictating to people what they can and cant sell.

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    eBay is a privately owned company. They determine what can or cannot be sold on their site.

Again, you're kind of preaching to the congregation. I agree it's overreaction. I agree it's hypocritical when they still sell other racist things. But they're private companies. They determine their own laws.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Germanic Ranger Junior Division H-Dreamer's Avatar
    It will calm down eventually and then some stuff will return, like Dukes of Hazard.
    It's just the current outrage that has to quiet down a bit.

Things can get silly with symbols sometimes though, for example it's totally okay to show Nazi symbols in a work of art here in Germany, like a movie or a painting. So "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" for example could show them, the computer game for that movie though was prohibited from doing the same. Edit: And Strategy games (like the mentioned Gettysburg game) usually use Wehrmacht Symbols instead to avoid using illegal symbols.

It also is a great PR tool for theaters, who love using the symbols in their plays to create a fake outrage in the media and get free PR.

You will propably head a similar route with the Confederate Flag now.

We still are able to spot racists and bigots btw, they just went and started using the flags of Pre WW1 Germany instead.
    Last edited by H-Dreamer; 07-02-2015 at 11:47 AM.

Resident Garbage Clown BSBH Prospect
    The whole thing is ridiculous. From A to Z.

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Depends on where your A begins and Z ends.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ Junior Division
    I knowim late to the party here, but in terms of symbolic racism......if the confederate flag is THAT much of a symbol of racism these days, then man o man, i feel bad for Asians in my country because we overlook so many racist concepts without one second of outcry. Hell, we have a few movies out therewe love that spent plenty of time making fun of Stereotypes without one outcry at all.

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Keirik View Post
    I knowim late to the party here, but in terms of symbolic racism......if the confederate flag is THAT much of a symbol of racism these days, then man o man, i feel bad for Asians in my country because we overlook so many racist concepts without one second of outcry. Hell, we have a few movies out therewe love that spent plenty of time making fun of Stereotypes without one outcry at all.
    Movies have been notorious venues for racism, no doubt. However, that doesn't make the Confederate flag less of a racist symbol.

This is a symbol of a violent succession movement fought in part because Southern businesses wanted to be able to continue to profit off the backs of slavery.

This is free speech at its finest. A collective voice saying this is not the message we want to send to our neighbors. It is way late coming. But better that than never.

Deleted Midget Division
    While not directly related - I am curious how long the communist sickle and hammer flag will be permitted in public culture. Because, you know - worse war atrocities than the Nazis, and stuff. There just doesn't seem to be the same taboo.

Start @ 2:07 for those not able to use timestamp.

Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    I still can't wrap my head around anyone having an issue with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I still can't wrap my head around anyone having an issue with this.
    That's because you and everyone else are ignoring the other perspective, as ridiculous as it may seem to you or others. That being said, I can't find a good reason to not stop it from flying on government property.

At the end of the day, everyone who is up in arms about the Confederate Flag shouldn't be surprised when in the future people come for the Stars and Stripes, Union Jack, Fleur De Lis or Maple Leaf in my case. Anyone with even a rudimentary understanding of history could easily make an argument against those symbols every bit as damning as the argument against the Confederate Flag.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    That's because you and everyone else are ignoring the other perspective, as ridiculous as it may seem to you or others. That being said, I can't find a good reason to not stop it from flying on government property.
    I'm not ignoring the other perspective. My understanding of the other perspective amounts to "let's not get rid of this symbol of hate because there are other symbols of hate". That's like saying "great, they cured TB, but who the fuck cares because cancer."
    At the end of the day, everyone who is up in arms about the Confederate Flag shouldn't be surprised when in the future people come for the Stars and Stripes, Union Jack, Fleur De Lis or Maple Leaf in my case. Anyone with even a rudimentary understanding of history could easily make an argument against those symbols every bit as damning as the argument against the Confederate Flag.
    IMO, the reason the confederate flag shouldn't be allowed to fly on US soil is that it's treasonous. The racial issue is just a bonus.

Canada allows American flags to fly all over government property and you tried to annex us on 2 separate distinct occasions and were happy to make our lives miserable through the Fenians a third time. How's that different?

Britain allows American flags and we all know the story there.

Canada allows American flags to fly all over government property and you tried to annex us on 2 separate distinct occasions and were happy to make our lives miserable through the Fenians a third time. How's that different?

Why are American flags flying over government property in Canada? They shouldn't be. Start a movement.

Britain flies American flags over Buckingham Palace? Parliament building? I don't know. I've never been. They shouldn't allow it either.

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect

America is a country that exists and is a friend to Canada now. The Confederacy no longer exists. It's flag is a symbol of a failed racist view. It would be like Poland's government flying a Nazi flag.

No one is saying Southerners shouldn't be aloud to display the flag themselves. Just that if and when they do, others should use their free speech to belittle and condemn it.

They call me Shaq Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanJesus View Post
    America is a country that exists and is a friend to Canada now. The Confederacy no longer exists. It's flag is a symbol of a failed racist view. It would be like Poland's government flying a Nazi flag.

No one is saying Southerners shouldn't be aloud to display the flag themselves. Just that if and when they do, others should use their free speech to belittle and condemn it.
    +1

Its absolutely insane because if you talk to 99.9% of the people that are against removing the flag they think that the argument is about removing ALL Confederate flags from the US, private and public.

That is the only reason this is really getting any publicity, everyone's favorite fair and balanced news source sold it as the government is coming to your house to take your flags, but why should we expect anything different from them.
    ___________LETS GO RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fox is just as fair and balanced as the Left is. Fuck, The Blaze is just as fair and balanced as the Lefties.

They call me Shaq Bantam Division
    Fox is just as fair and balanced as the Left is. Fuck, The Blaze is just as fair and balanced as the Lefties.

No idea what "The Blaze" is but this has no bearing on the conversation.
    ___________LETS GO RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Senior Member Bantam Division 4_4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mentosman42 View Post
    No idea what "The Blaze" is but this has no bearing on the conversation.
    it's glen beck's deal. nothing but straight shooting there

Boom BSBH Prospect

Hooray for Pennsylvania

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast