Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: We're Watching the Long Overdue Death of the Confederate Flag Happen Before Our Eyes

Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    ok, but nobody seems to care that the Capital is named after a guy that owned over 300 slaves. It's selective hypocrisy. Pure and simple.
    I think it's more selective on your side than anything else. It's selective anger. Why should this bother anyone? Are you suggesting we shouldn't take a flag down because we can't wipe out the country's entire history of racism in on swoop? That's a little silly if you ask me.

Change simply simply has to start somewhere, and if you don't think this is kind of a big deal, then I don't know what to tell you.

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRangers92 View Post
    I dont think it would be nearly as big an issue if it wasnt flying on government property.
    This.

Even if the flag is banned, I don't think there's anything the government can do in terms of people flying it in their own yard.

Resident Garbage Clown BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I think it's more selective on your side than anything else. It's selective anger. Why should this bother anyone? Are you suggesting we shouldn't take a flag down because we can't wipe out the country's entire history of racism in on swoop? That's a little silly if you ask me.

Change simply simply has to start somewhere, and if you don't think this is kind of a big deal, then I don't know what to tell you.
    I guess what I'm saying is it's easy to point to an institution like a flag and call it racist when it means nothing to you.

All the things being said about that flag transfer neatly to any other flag really. Just change the race from African American to Native American.

Not just a US thing either. Catholic missionaries operating under the Fleur De Lis here bought and sold entire peoples and perpetuated genocide in the name of God and King. Behaviour that makes Sothern slave owners look like humanitarians in contrast.

I don't like the picking and choosing. To me it's either all colloquial nuance or it should all be wiped from history.

Moderator Junior Division
    I guess what I'm saying is it's easy to point to an institution like a flag and call it racist when it means nothing to you.

All the things being said about that flag transfer neatly to any other flag really. Just change the race from African American to Native American.

Not just a US thing either. Catholic missionaries operating under the Fleur De Lis here bought and sold entire peoples and perpetuated genocide in the name of God and King. Behaviour that makes Sothern slave owners look like humanitarians in contrast.

I don't like the picking and choosing. To me it's either all colloquial nuance or it should all be wiped from history.
    Good post. Most flags that have meaning to someone offend someone else.

South Africa is almost a direct parallel, and they changed their flag completely when apartheid ended, but there are still some who fly the pre-1994 flag. Actually, the justification is not b/c people are pro-segregation, but because they are nostalgic. But as long as it's taken away from government buildings, as it has been in S. Africa, I don't think there's any reason why people shouldn't be allowed to have the confederate flag flying in the south.

Well first and foremost, the flag is treasonous. The fact that it's been allowed to fly this long is a bit ridiculous from that standpoint. But the fact that it's become a rallying point for bigoted Americans, and it's now being basically destroyed, is a bonus. I mean, you have to start somewhere.

Or should everyone just rip down their flags and burn them and we won't know what planes and ships are from what country, etc.

Again, not really sure why you are upset by this.

The Dolphin Whisperer BSBH Rookie
    ok, but nobody seems to care that the Capital is named after a guy that owned over 300 slaves. It's selective hypocrisy. Pure and simple.
    I mean, there's a distinct difference between Washington's contributions to the country's development and his ownership of slaves and a flag that's a rallying cry for opposition to the Union which also represents deep-rooted racism.

They call me Shaq Bantam Division
    While I agree that removing the flag does nothing to actually combat the racism its common sense to get rid of it.

The confederate flag did not regain popularity in the south until the civil rights movement and integration, in 1956(two years after desegregation) Georgia modified its state flag to incorporate the battle flag and South Carolina first flew the flag above the capital in 1961.

Whatever meaning the Confederate flag had was lost after the civil war, you can claim that it had nothing to do with slavery and had everything to do with states rights but thats not the issue. The issue is that for close to 100 years the Confederate flag was rarely flown and then in the mid 50's and early 60's it had a resurgence in the southern states opposing civil rights. Its not that hard to make the connection.

Not to mention the people that support the Confederate flag are often the people saying "well if you dont like it get the hell out of our country!", the Confederate flag either represents traitors or racists, Im not sure how anyone can support flying this flag on state grounds or having state issued license plate holders.

And for the record, if you want to fly a massive Confederate flag on your own personal property go for it, you have that right.

To quote Usama Shami, "Everybody has a right to be a bigot. Everybody has a right to be a racist. Everybody has a right to be an idiot,"
    Last edited by Mentosman42; 06-29-2015 at 04:08 PM.
    ___________LETS GO RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    This sucks, TV Land has now removed The Dukes of Hazzard because of the confederate flag, this is bullshit. Enough is enough. That show has zero to do with racism. I agree with taking it down from a government building, but we are going to far now with Amazon, Ebay and now this. If this is that much of an issue, how about removing all of the other controversial things as well. We are turning into a nation of wusses.
    Last edited by NYR2711; 07-01-2015 at 08:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NYR2711 View Post
    This sucks, TV Land has now removed The Dukes of Hazzard becajse of the confederate flag, this is bullshit. Enough is enough. That show has zero to do with racism. I agree with taking it down from a government buikdi g but we are gojng go far now with Amazon, Ebay and now this. If this is that much of an issue, how about removing all of the other controversial things as well. We are turning into a nation of wusses.
    Perfect example of going too far.

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    These are decisions being made by privately owned companies, guys. Let's not confuse what private companies choose to do, or sell, or show, or provide as entertainment or product with the crux issue, which is that the Confederate flag has no business being flown over public or government property.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

I don't think anyone but some corporate entities are confusing it.

Im not confusing the difference between the two, but one has to do with the other. Its spun from taking the Confederate Flag off of government buildings to removing it from being sold, tonremoving it from TV. Where does it end? Do we take down paintings from art galleries because it has a confederate flag in it? Its spun to mass burnings of the Confederate flag and the burning of the American flag and calls for the American flag to be remkved because it represents the same thing to some people. Its gone too far now, its an over reaction.

What private companies do in reaction to the rightful decision to remove the Confederate flag from public and government spaces is their own prerogative. I don't disagree these are overreactions, but the flag itself is PR poison at the moment, so being "associated" with it in any capacity is something a lot of companies want to proactively avoid.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Pulling Dukes of Hazard because the Confederate Flag is on the General Lee actually weakens the movement. It's like when you're debating with someone, and a person we all know is stupid takes your side. You're like "Fuck, wish he didn't agree with me..."

For sure. I don't disagree. I just understand how toxic a symbol it is right now, so I can also understand why TV Land would do so, or why Amazon, etc. are pulling Confederate items from their shelves.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    For sure. I don't disagree. I just understand how toxic a symbol it is right now, so I can also understand why TV Land would do so, or why Amazon, etc. are pulling Confederate items from their shelves.
    Yea, I get that. It's current. TV Land is re-runs. And in context, harmless. Unless there are some racist episodes of Dukes that's I'm forgetting.

Don't think I've ever watched an episode, so I can't say.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Don't think I've ever watched an episode, so I can't say.
    You're missing out. Daisy Duke...mah gawd.

The problem is that they remove the confederate flag yet none of the other racists things it sells. So what are they really accomplishing by removing it, besides being hypocritical?

Quote Originally Posted by NYR2711 View Post
    The problem is that they remove the confederate flag yet none of the other racists things it sells. So what are they really accomplishing by removing it, besides being hypocritical?
    That's not a question I can answer. I already said I agree it's hypocritical and an overreaction. All I'm saying is that I can understand why any private company would want to distance itself from being associated with that symbol right now.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast