Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: McIlrath's Hits a Bright Spot, But Wolf Pack Swept Away

Formerly Richter Redux Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    Depends if you consider what you are getting a scrap heap or not. Beauchemin would work for me. So would someone like McQuaid. Maybe Bartkowski. The latter two should come in around $3M or less. Beauchemin would probably cost more, and I don't think is interested in moving his family East (again).
    Beauchemin's an interesting one, especially if we alleviate ourselves of Boyle. Obviously we have to start budgeting with the cap, like I mentioned in the OP, but we have plenty of guys who move the puck on the PP. What we don't have, and what a lot of teams don't for that matter, is an absolute cannon from the blueline. That said, yeah, he's probably gonna get north of $3 mil.

Moderator Junior Division
    Beauchemin made $3.5 this year.

After playing more than 25 minutes and averaging just over .5 points per game, he's going to get a raise from someone.

a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    Beauchemin is 35 already ... I just don't want to take the risk on a guy who's maybe months from falling off the edge of the cliff a la Richards, MSL, Boyle -- I'm tired of that strategy, you're lucky if you get one good year out of them.
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones.

Senior Member Bantam Division NYRangers723's Avatar
    I still dont think its gonna work out with him. I admit never liked the pick especially passing up guys with much more skills. I understand he is young but its been 5 years with only a couple nhl games where he looked like a deer in headlights

Deleted Midget Division
    I think he'll make it - as in becoming an NHL player -- eventually. Maybe even with this team - although our system doesn't play to his skill set.

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    I think he'll make it to the NHL too. Just not here. I'm not sure his game will ever really translate to a point AV could use him effectively. We can hope for Kevin Bieksa, but it's unlikely.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Bantam Division DiJock94's Avatar
    Heard beukeboom on the sny podcast say Mcilrath is knocking on the door of the Nhl, said him and Bodie were his top d pair in the playoffs

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by DiJock94 View Post
    Heard beukeboom on the sny podcast say Mcilrath is knocking on the door of the Nhl, said him and Bodie were his top d pair in the playoffs
    yep. heard that too. Everyone is ready to call McIlrath a bust but when he was drafted they all said he would take a while. If either he or Bodie make the team that frees up another contract (Klein, Yandal) to be moved.
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    He is a bust. You don't take a 5 year project who pans out as a 3rd pairing defender with a top 10 pick.

Bust as a pick. May not be a bust as a player. Jury is still out on that.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Semantics.

Important. Because you're using a loaded term to describe a player who hasn't officially been written off yet.

Jessiman is a bust. Sanguinetti is a bust. Dylan McIlrath is a bad pick who is approaching bust.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    Important. Because you're using a loaded term to describe a player who hasn't officially been written off yet.

Jessiman is a bust. Sanguinetti is a bust. Dylan McIlrath is a bad pick who is approaching bust.
    Well when he's no longer a bust, I'll call him a disappointment. Right now, today, he's a bust. Wiki defines a bust as:

A draft bust occurs when a highly touted or highly selected draftee does not meet expectations. This can be for a variety of reasons, but the most often noted are injury or inability to perform at a professional level. A player is also regarded as a larger bust if more successful players are drafted after him or her.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draft_(sports)

That's a to-the-tee description of McIlrath.

Former Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    yep. heard that too. Everyone is ready to call McIlrath a bust but when he was drafted they all said he would take a while. If either he or Bodie make the team that frees up another contract (Klein, Yandal) to be moved.
    Bodie isn't going to make the team. He's 25 and had a marginal first year pro. Even at 25, Matt Gilroy made our team. He's a mediocre AHL offensive defenseman.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Well when he's no longer a bust, I'll call him a disappointment. Right now, today, he's a bust. Wiki defines a bust as:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draft_(sports)

That's a to-the-tee description of McIlrath.
    So far. We identified a need in a SAH reliable defenseman. McIlrath was a reach. Fowler was repetitive with MDZ on the team already. None of Brandon Gormley, Derek Forbort, Jared Tinordi or Mark Pysyk (defensemen taken after McIlrath in that 1st round) have had impacts on their teams either.
    Last edited by Cash or Czech?; 06-16-2015 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cash or Czech? View Post
    So far.
    Well, yea, hence "Well when he's no longer a bust, I'll call him a disappointment. Right now, today, he's a bust."

I'd call it the opposite. He's a disappointment so far, but he'll be a bust once he leaves the organization never having an NHL impact.

Whatever the case may be, I'd be all to happy to change my label, with any luck it'll become "moderate success".

That's all I'm hoping for. We'll find out two weeks if there's a regular spot on the team for him to fight for in training camp.

Senior Member Junior Division
    I have to agree with Pete, sadly, the guy is pretty much a bust. Yes they expected it to take years to develop him, but they also banked on the final product being way more than what it is now. It just hasn't happened panned out.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast