Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: McIlrath's Hits a Bright Spot, But Wolf Pack Swept Away

//reported Junior Division
    i really hope we see more of mcilrath next season. i'd like to see 5-10 games in the lineup as a 6th defender. see how the team performs. play him with yandle/hunwick, i suppose.
    Out: Girardi, Klein, Stepan, Raanta
    In: Shattenkirk, Desharnais, Pavalec, DeAngelo/Bereglazalov/Pionk

Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Yea, I never get why people want to bury McIlrath already.

He's 23 years old and just had his first healthy season as a pro...which also happened to be his best.
    Well, it's not already...It's been some time since he was drafted. And few liked the pick at the time, anyway. Some just trusted Gordie Clark, but worried.

That said...everyone knew the guy was a project when he was taken, but injuries have side tracked his development a little bit.

The issue is we're here now looking for a 2nd line wing, and we could have had Tarasenko. I don't think its an understatement to say that was a huge error, and it arguably cost us at least 1, if not 2 championships.

The frustration is also that he looks like he's netting out as a part-time player, or a #6 D, at best, which is not what you go for in the first round at #10. It's not his fault where he was drafted, and it's rarely the player's fault that they bust, but it doesn't mean they aren't busts. It's kind of just a sad label that they'll never escape.

The biggest thing that happens here on the forum, is not intentionally meant to insult the player, but indirectly it does—because there are people here who have been arguing that McIlrath was NHL ready 2 seasons ago, when he clearly wasn't. So if someone claims that, and you want to debate them, it's hard to do that without ragging the player, it's an unfortunate byproduct of debate.

The reality is that we all want the guy to succeed.

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyb™ View Post
    i really hope we see more of mcilrath next season. i'd like to see 5-10 games in the lineup as a 6th defender. see how the team performs. play him with yandle/hunwick, i suppose.
    You'll either see him or you won't. He requires waivers to go back to the AHL, so if he makes the team as a bottom-pairing defender or a seventh D, that's the role he's sticking in until he's traded or simply not re-signed. From what I've read, they believe he'll be claimed (and I think he would be too) were he put on waivers, so this is very much make-or-break for him.

He either makes the team or he doesn't, and he's traded to a team he'll stick on the main roster with.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Bantam Division DiJock94's Avatar
    I wouldn't be surprised if he takes the 7th spot from Hunwick, Skjei has waiver eligibility so i think he will start the year in the AHL, McIlrath will be able to practice against NHL competition and most likely give Boyle some rest days.

Boyle won't, or shouldn't be here. He'll probably be traded or bought out this summer.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

I doubt its a forgone conclusion that Boyle is gone next year. He played some good hockey when it mattered most

If the Rangers plan on bringing everyone else back — Hagelin and Stepan especially — it sure is.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    A good 1/2 season is a step in the right direction, but by no means does this indicate that he’s over the next hump. He should start next year in the A, and prove himself more. Top pair in the A >>> 7th in the show.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by DiJock94 View Post
    I doubt its a forgone conclusion that Boyle is gone next year. He played some good hockey when it mattered most
    Unfortunately that's just a part of the measuring stick, and certainly not a good enough reason to keep him, and his contract when there are much bigger fish to fry. Boyle is not part of this team's future like Stepan, or Hagelin.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

That's fair and I agree agree, but there are other ways to cut salary, like trading Talbot and Glass and replacing them with league minimum salaries. There are other options. Because if you buy out Boyle now mcilrath is your sixth defenseman

That's fair and I agree agree, but there are other ways to cut salary, like trading Talbot and Glass and replacing them with league minimum salaries. There are other options. Because if you buy out Boyle now mcilrath is your sixth defenseman

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey37 View Post
    A good 1/2 season is a step in the right direction, but by no means does this indicate that he’s over the next hump. He should start next year in the A, and prove himself more. Top pair in the A >>> 7th in the show.
    I think the issue is that you want him in camp for the Rangers, but if you do that, he has to pass through waivers to go back to the AHL I believe. He won't clear. Someone will claim him. So the Rangers options are he makes the team even as a 7th out of camp or they trade him to a team that wants him and doesn't think he'll pass through to them via waivers. Can't lose him for nothing and he can probably fetch you a 3rd or 4th round pick or maybe someone else's reclamation project.

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    Not necessarily. You can buy out Boyle and replace him with someone making up to $3M/year and break even. Anything under $3M is a savings (considering he cost $1.5M as a buyout).

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanJesus View Post
    Not necessarily. You can buy out Boyle and replace him with someone making up to $3M/year and break even. Anything under $3M is a savings (considering he cost $1.5M as a buyout).
    i understand that but is it worth it to get a scrap heap free agent to save maybe 1.5 million. RHD get paid on the free agent market

Depends if you consider what you are getting a scrap heap or not. Beauchemin would work for me. So would someone like McQuaid. Maybe Bartkowski. The latter two should come in around $3M or less. Beauchemin would probably cost more, and I don't think is interested in moving his family East (again).
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

All those guys you mentioned though are going to get solid offers. It wont save us any money under the cap.

All those guys you mentioned though are going to get solid offers. It wont save us any money under the cap.
    Boyle's buyout would cost us $1.5M in cap. Leaving a $3M savings. Bartkowski should come in under that. McQuaid maybe right at it. He's coming off a $1.8M salary and a $1.55M AAV. Doesn't put up a ton of points, so the money won't be astronomical. Figure on his base salary plus 50%. $2.7M, give or take.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

//reported Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    Depends if you consider what you are getting a scrap heap or not. Beauchemin would work for me. So would someone like McQuaid. Maybe Bartkowski. The latter two should come in around $3M or less. Beauchemin would probably cost more, and I don't think is interested in moving his family East (again).
    i like the idea of mcquaid.
    the contract that's ending for him has him at 1.8 this past season. full contract was 3 years @ 4.7 (1.566aav) - could he be had for 3 @ 2.75-3?
    or will he make more in free agency?

edit - i'm too slow. read above. i'm good.
    Out: Girardi, Klein, Stepan, Raanta
    In: Shattenkirk, Desharnais, Pavalec, DeAngelo/Bereglazalov/Pionk

Quote Originally Posted by phillyb™ View Post
    i like the idea of mcquaid.
    the contract that's ending for him has him at 1.8 this past season. full contract was 3 years @ 4.7 (1.566aav) - could he be had for 3 @ 2.75-3?
    or will he make more in free agency?

edit - i'm too slow. read above. i'm good.
    I mean, you can never really know, but I'd think three years at like $2.7M~, maybe even $3M even would be enough.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by SaveByRichter35 View Post
    I wouldn't want him as a 7th. If that's the case I'd rather he stay in Hartford and actually play his top minutes instead of sitting in the rafters every night as the 7th up here.
    He wont be able to go down to Hartford unless he passes through waivers.....which he most likely wont.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast