Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: McIlrath's Hits a Bright Spot, But Wolf Pack Swept Away

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    He is a bust. You don't take a 5 year project who pans out as a 3rd pairing defender with a top 10 pick.
    I mean, who's to say what he becomes? If he becomes a 2nd pair guy what then? That's a bust? Why? Most picks don't pan out ever. When he was picked they said he would take a 5 years. If he never plays, that's a bust. Huge Jessiman is a bust. But McIlrath is right on track even with injuries. I'm not sure why he shouldn't get a fair shot before he's labeled.

I'm just curious; is every player drafted in the first round a bust if they're not a superstar?
    Last edited by ThirtyONE; 06-16-2015 at 10:56 PM.
    FIRE VIGNEAULT

Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    I mean, who's to say what he becomes? If he becomes a 2nd pair guy what then? That's a bust? Why? Most picks don't pan out ever. When he was picked they said he would take a 5 years. If he never plays, that's a bust. Huge Jessiman is a bust. But McIlrath is right on track even with injuries. I'm not sure why he shouldn't get a fair shot before he's labeled.

I'm just curious; is every player drafted in the first round a bust if they're not a superstar?
    Nah, he's a bust. If you want to view that pick as a good one who's on track, feel free, but you're in the minority.

Not sure what your last question has to do with anything. No one said every first round pick is a bust if they aren't a superstar. You're kind of fabricating your own argument.

You simply don't draft a 5 year project in the first round with a top 10 pick and have him project as a borderline NHLer, and call that "on track".

Using the excuse that "most picks don't pan out ever" to cover up a bad pick is just faulty logic. It's willful ignorance.

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    I mean, who's to say what he becomes? If he becomes a 2nd pair guy what then? That's a bust? Why? Most picks don't pan out ever. When he was picked they said he would take a 5 years. If he never plays, that's a bust. Huge Jessiman is a bust. But McIlrath is right on track even with injuries. I'm not sure why he shouldn't get a fair shot before he's labeled. I'm just curious; is every player drafted in the first round a bust if they're not a superstar?
    Nobody ever stated that he would take 5+ years to develop.

Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck Head View Post
    Nobody ever stated that he would take 5+ years to develop.
    I remember Clark saying they looked at him as a long term project - maybe 4 or so years. Then he got hurt so the 5 year mark is kind of right. But I don't think they wanted to spend 5 years developing a #7.

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    I think the issue with McIlrath is more to where he projects. Not how long it's taken him.

If they have any reason to be upset, it's because he essentially projects as a bottom pairing D at best right now, in a league that's quickly moving away from the type of player he was drafted to be.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you’'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

The Dolphin Whisperer BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    I think the issue with McIlrath is more to where he projects. Not how long it's taken him.

If they have any reason to be upset, it's because he essentially projects as a bottom pairing D at best right now, in a league that's quickly moving away from the type of player he was drafted to be.
    It's not even "moving away" anymore. It's far away. The big, crease-clearing defenseman who has trouble skating is a liability in this league. You can't even "clear the crease" like you used to because of the way the game changed. You see tons of veterans unable to find jobs because of this, and as a 23 year old who has yet to make the league with a "skill" set that's diminished, he's way behind the 8 ball.

He'd get a job in this league for no reason other than his price, IMO. He's going to be cheap his contract is up.

Former Moderator BSBH Prospect
    There's still a place in the game for defensively reliable, big hitter defensive defensemen. There aren't many, but I'd put McIlrath on the scale between Orpik and Gleason. Orpik didn't make the NHL full-time until he was 23, and he was a 1st round pick. I'd be okay if he ended up as an Orpik/Matt Greene type of player, which he definitely still can be. It's a huge disappointment for 10th overall, but he can make a contribution.

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Time tables are a little different
    Orpik was drafted and then
    - Played one year of NCAA
    - One year of AHL
    - One year of AHL (a few NHL games)
    - Then full time NHL (age 22)

This upcoming season will be Mcilraths 6th season since being drafted. At best that puts him two years behind Orpik (if he becomes a full time NHL player next year)

Senior Member Bantam Division NYRangers723's Avatar

who said anything about superstar. In fairness for a top 10 pick you would expect better progress 5 years after the fact. Even in the AHL he has been just ok. He biggest asset is his fighting ability which is fine but for a first rounder especially a top 10 pick id like to see more skill. Not trying to bash the kid because i have rooted for him but being honest i just dont see it working out

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234