Page 1 of 52 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Off-Season Thread: Trades, Free Agent Signings & More

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend

2015 Off-Season Thread: Trades, Free Agent Signings & More

Please use this thread to discuss all feasible off-season related topics including
    (but not limited to) potential trades, free agency and more. This thread is intended to
    discuss the New York Rangers off-season, though other team information (that is
    relevant to the Rangers) like potential trade candidates can be posted here as well.

This thread is not designed for trade proposals. Please do not post them here unless
    they are specific to an existing rumor or report.

This thread will be updated regularly between now and July 1st, as well as into the
    off-season months in the event major names are still available on the board (so to speak).

IMPORTANT DATES TO NOTE:

NHL Entry Draft — June 26th, 27th
    Free Agent Signing Period Begins — July 1st
    Buyout Window — June 16th to June 30th

Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Former Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Such a shallow pool of FAs this summer. A lot of guys are going to get really overpaid.

Clean Slate, Grab It! NYR BSBH Prospect
    I would love to bring in Soderberg and Frolik.

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    I'd take a pass this off season. As much as I'd like Belesky or Williams, both will be vastly overpaid, and Williams for too long as well. I think this off season will be about re-signing RFAs, letting some UFAs walk and perhaps shedding Boyle. Maybe a trade or two. Then bring in more youth.

Save our coin for the following off season if we can, where hopefully some bigger names get to free agency.

Beauchemin would be a perfect replacement for Boyle.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Sticks Out For Harambe BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    I'd try and make time for James Wisniewski. I still don't get why they traded for him and didn't play him in playoffs despite the fact that's he's a solid second pairing defender.
    Hidden Content
    “Practice isn't the thing you do once you're good. It's the thing you do that makes you good.”- Malcolm Gladwell

I wouldn't. They have Yandle already. No use for Wiz. They need a stay-at-home for Yandle on the third pairing who can be trusted. That's Beauchemin.

He's physical and a fantastic leader as well.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanJesus View Post
    I'd take a pass this off season. As much as I'd like Belesky or Williams, both will be vastly overpaid, and Williams for too long as well. I think this off season will be about re-signing RFAs, letting some UFAs walk and perhaps shedding Boyle. Maybe a trade or two. Then bring in more youth.

Save our coin for the following off season if we can, where hopefully some bigger names get to free agency.
    The list of potentials should get everyone excited:

Staal, Stamkos, Kopitar, Lucic, O'Reilly, Seabrook, Byfuglien, Kesler, Backes, Ladd, Voracek. Even if half are re-signed, it'll still be very very interesting.

I wouldn't. They have Yandle already. No use for Wiz. They need a stay-at-home for Yandle on the third pairing who can be trusted. That's Beauchemin.

I'd like Beauchemin but I'm not sure we can fit him financially. There'll be plenty of other teams offering more than we can.

Sticks Out For Harambe BSBH Prospect

I misunderstood. I took it as replacing the role of Boyle with someone younger.
    Hidden Content
    “Practice isn't the thing you do once you're good. It's the thing you do that makes you good.”- Malcolm Gladwell

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Why do I have the feeling that the Rangers are going to go after vermette?

Senior Member Bantam Division
    I like this player and his size, but he turns 35 tomorrow and shoots left. He will also command at least a similar salary as last year's 3.5 mil.

Of the guys above, only Matt Beleskey really intrigues me. He's 26 and was making 1.4 mil, but I think he would fit nicely with our team's style, even though he is a left winger. He's tenacious, a little physical, can score goals, I believe ascending and I like the way he responded to pressure. What will teams offer him on the open market will be interesting, since he was treated like a 3rd liner, but had better than expected production this year and during the playoffs. From what I saw and heard, it seemed Boudreau did not appreciate him as much as other coaches might. He certainly came on during the season and potted 8 goals in the playoffs, which might result in a price we can not pay, given our RFA's this year.

Soderberg, another lefty, is a tall (but skinny and not very physical) center. He would only be of interest if the Rangers do not plan to have Hayes at C. Since centerman who put up 40 points get overpaid, I doubt he is even a consideration. Only slightly interesting, I'd pass.
    Last edited by Giacomin; 06-03-2015 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by So Nashty View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that the Rangers are going to go after vermette?
    Why? To play him on the 4th line behind Brassard, Stepan and Hayes? To shift Moore to wing and delay Lindberg yet another season when he's ready? If we sign a center that isn't bound for the AHL, I'd be thoroughly surprised.

I'd personally be very wary of Beleskey. He's not an offensive player by any means, a high-end 3rd liner for sure. His career high of 22 goals came while riding shotgun to Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf for a lot of the season (while also playing with Rakell and Palmieri). In a contract year, this screams Sean Bergenheim to me when he had 9 playoff goals in 2010-11 then was a huge bust with the Panthers.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Cash or Czech? View Post
    Why? To play him on the 4th line behind Brassard, Stepan and Hayes? To shift Moore to wing and delay Lindberg yet another season when he's ready? If we sign a center that isn't bound for the AHL, I'd be thoroughly surprised.
    Not saying they should just saying it seems like the kind of move the rangers always make. Lateral.

I'd like Beauchemin but I'm not sure we can fit him financially. There'll be plenty of other teams offering more than we can.
    You're probably right. But that's the type of player I'd be interested in. Get back equal or greater leadership and experience after buying out Boyle at a smaller price and improve on actual defense to guard Yandle some.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

You're probably right. But that's the type of player I'd be interested in. Get back equal or greater leadership and experience after buying out Boyle at a smaller price and improve on actual defense to guard Yandle some.
    McQuaid or Bartkowski might be your guy, then. Both leaving the Bruins, both were on the cup-winning team in 2010-11, though only McQuaid played. Both reliable defensively with big bodies (McQuaid is 6-5, 209 and Bartkowski is 6-1, 196). McQuaid is a RHD to boot.

McQuaid or Bartkowski might be your guy, then. Both leaving the Bruins, both were on the cup-winning team in 2010-11, though only McQuaid played. Both reliable defensively with big bodies (McQuaid is 6-5, 209 and Bartkowski is 6-1, 196). McQuaid is a RHD to boot.
    McQuaid might work. A little slow, but again, I'd have him pegged as more of a stay-at-home than an advancing D. It's not as though AV activates the D much anyway, least of all in the regular season. He just has to be able to make a solid first pass.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Bantam Division
    I'd personally be very wary of Beleskey. He's not an offensive player by any means, a high-end 3rd liner for sure. His career high of 22 goals came while riding shotgun to Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf for a lot of the season (while also playing with Rakell and Palmieri). In a contract year, this screams Sean Bergenheim to me when he had 9 playoff goals in 2010-11 then was a huge bust with the Panthers.
    Good points, but during the playoffs he seemed to turn it up another notch and the goals I saw were not with Getzlaf or Perry. He has a versatile game, generates offense from defense (like stealing the puck from Vermette for an unassisted wrist shot beauty goal) and looks like he is developing a scoring touch. I like the way he slashes quickly towards the net to generate opportunities and seems to have a quick release and some grit. His numbers and his play keep getting better, he was noticable in a bunch of playoff games and had 3 game winners and a few other big goals that did not turn out to be GWGs.

A young Justin Williams as a playoff performer? Probably can't even afford him, anyway. If he was gonna be in the 2 -2.5 range Anaheim would probably keep him.
    Last edited by Giacomin; 06-03-2015 at 11:50 AM.

Chiarelli says Oilers willing to move picks for players - link

Peter Chiarelli is ready to declare the Edmonton Oilers open for business ahead NHL Draft, in which the Oilers own six of the first 90 picks.
    "I certainly would look at moving any of those picks for… something that would help us right now"

Page 1 of 52 1231151 ... LastLast