Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video Ad

Boom BSBH Prospect

Video Ad

Hey Phil, this just happened once so far and I dont know if it will happen again. There is a video ad at the bottom of the forum page that auto plays and it prevents you from scrolling up until the video is finished. It's quite inconvenient, especially when it starts playing while I'm in the middle of typing a post.

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend
    I need to know what the ad is for, or what the actual URL is. Don't click it, but copy and paste it here if you can.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Boom BSBH Prospect
    It wont let me copy and paste but I'll keep note of when it happens again

Growing Member Bantam Division McDougalfaschnitzer's Avatar
    I've been getting phantom videos that cut in and out. Chrome will show that audio is being played, but when I go to look at the ad nothing is there. Also once in a while I get requests for my location from ads. I'll try to do a better job of documenting.

Thanks guys. Sucks you're getting hit with these, but unfortunately I can't proactively control it. I can only react to the "bad" ones by banning them.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Hi guys,

Just a quick update here, I actually don't need the full URL of the ads themselves. With video ads it's almost impossible to grab them because it's kind of tucked away in the code. I should be able to identify bad ads like take-over videos, auto-play, etc. by the brand advertised. So if you see a video and it's always pointing you to HousePaint.com or some shit, just tell me "hey, that HousePaint.com ad sucks and auto-plays or takes over the browser".

Thanks,
    Phil
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Beer Leaguer Bantam Division
    Just a heads up, I just got an Advil video ad in the Sather thread and just got the same ad in this thread as I came to post this. The video scrolls the browser to the bottom of the page.

Not sure if you wanna know every time we get one but I just got hit with a Castrol video in the BSBH pickup game thread and then again when I came in here. Just trying to help out. If you don't need to know every time just let me know and I'll stop posting lol.

Still working on this. The good news, as of today, Chrome will start "intelligently" blocking these ads on its own, if you use it.

Chrome developers have announced that an upcoming version of Chrome will prevent video ads from automatically playing when a website loads. The new feature has already been pushed out to beta builds and can be manually enabled by opening Chrome’s content settings and adjusting the plugin content options. This push comes as part of an overall effort to improve Chrome’s performance on modern laptops.
    This new feature doesn’t prevent the ad from loading, it just doesn’t play the ad unless the user manually chooses to do.
    http://www.extremetech.com/computing...ads-by-default
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Also, the auto-play ads that are forcing the page down are from a violating partner. I'm blocking them until AdSense addresses the issue on their end.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Good to know, thanks.

Boom BSBH Prospect
    3M is another one that just did it for me
    edit: And TireRack just now
    Last edited by NYRangers92; 06-08-2015 at 06:47 PM.

It's not actually 3M or TireRack, it's likely through a third party. One was gknws dot com. Another was btywrks dot com.

If they run again, take a look at the ad itself and let me know if you see a URL like this before or after the ad begins/ends. Or if you think you might see it, just grab a screen grab to send me.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

These ads are Malware. I've reached out to Google for help. Bear with it a while.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

I've been blocking the networks of the take-over video ads for a bit now. At least a week and a half.

Are you guys seeing them less frequently?
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Former Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Yes, I've had minimal issues with the video.

The Dolphin Whisperer BSBH Rookie
    Phil, this is happening again. Happened twice today. It forces me to watch the ad at the bottom of the page.

I didn't get info on the first one, but this is the info on the second one:

"HIRO tzuk - 170.8.3"

Hopefully you can do something with it.

That info isn't helpful. I need to know what the ad itself is for. Do you know the company or URL? Does it say it? I have to ban them individually. It's a really annoying flaw in the way AdSense works, but I'm using Google's PublisherBar to do so with Ad overlays.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

The Dolphin Whisperer BSBH Rookie
    No, I had no option of getting the URL when I right clicked and I didn't watch the ad to get the company, I just closed the page.

I guess use thus as a head's up.

Yup, will do. If you do hit it again, let me know if it actually displays a URL, or otherwise what company it's advertising for.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast