Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beukeboom Gives Update on Rangers' Prospects Skjei, McIlrath, Lindberg

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend

Beukeboom Gives Update on Rangers' Prospects Skjei, McIlrath, Lindberg

On Skjei:

BSU: How has Brady Skjei looked since he arrived in early April? What improvement have you seen from him in the six or seven weeks you've coached him?

Beukeboom: "He's very coachable. Since he's been here, we haven't had a lot of practice time, especially in the playoffs. Coming out of college, he's picked up the system very well, very easily. He's very adaptable. He has a high hockey IQ where you show him stuff on video and he picks it up right away. He's a student of the game, he watches his own video.

The one thing that stands out more than anything is his skating ability. He's a great natural skater, very fluid and very fast. He's done everything we could have asked from him. We're playing him probably as much as all [of our defensemen]. He's almost 20 minutes a night. He's progressed as far as ice time and everything else. There's not a lot of holes in his game. It's more expeirence than anything now."
    BSU: Who has he skated with the most?

Beukeboom: "Mostly Michael Kostka. He's been paired with him for most of the playoffs. Mike's been great for him. He's a veteran in this League and he's got a lot of AHL games under his belt and he's a true professional when it comes to being a great teammate to everyone, not just Brady, but for young guy like Brady, it makes a big different having someone like that beside you."
    On McIlrath:

BSU: The other defenseman Rangers fans clamour over is Dylan McIlrath. Where do you see his game right now?

Beukeboom: He's playing the best hockey of his professional career. "He's been playing outstanding. He seems to really thrive in the playoff situations. He's playing very physical but at the same time is — knock on wood — he's staying out of the penalty box. He's been one of our most consistent penalty killer with whoever he goes out there with. He's playing a lot of minutes and he's strong and is as strong defensively as he's been as a pro."

"The second-half of this season, he's just taken off. At Christmas, I think he was a minus 11 or 12, and he finished the year a plus-6. He's actually scored a couple big goals for us down the stretch. He's never been better."
    On Lindberg:

BSU: Up front, Oscar Lindberg seems like a guy who is on the cusp of being an NHLer. Where are you seeing his game at now?

Beukeboom: "He's improved almost it seems monthly incrementally. He's improving to the point where I think he's an NHL player, or real close. People that don't see enough of him don't realize how hard he plays. He's a physical player. He does a lot of grunt work in the corners, in the back of the net and in the front of the net. He's a bit of an agitator for that matter. He gives it and he takes it. He seems to need the body contact and the physicality to play his game. When he's doing that, you know he's on.

"His offense keeps getting better. He's improving his game as a whole on both sides of the puck. He's knocking on the door. He's a prospect that people are saying he's ready or he's almost ready."
    http://www.blueshirtsunited.com/arti...ter_1431638384

--

Lots of nice takeaways here from the WP's assistant coach, especially McIlrath and Skjei.

Next seasons' camp will be a bit of a make-or-break one for McIlrath specifically considering his contract status. He's still under contract but will require waivers if he fails to make the team. Hard to say one way or another if he makes it through them to go back to Hartford considering the derth of defensemen in the NHL and the premium even half-quality ones go for.

Skjei seems to be in a McDonagh-like approach where he's probably going to start the year in Hartford regardless of his level of play in camp, but may be on the short list of call-ups. Ditto Lindberg, without knowing how the Rangers address Dom Moore. My guess is, with him still under contract another year, they just roll with him and let Lindberg naturally win out a spot. Maybe move DM at the deadline for something? Tough to say this far out.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Please, Mc, just fucking do something with your career so we can stop arguing about you.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Please, Mc, just fucking do something with your career so we can stop arguing about you.
    Yeah, for sure. He's never going to shake the stigma of where he was drafted, but he might still be able to make something of his career. Even if it never measures up to the pick used to take him.

Not just because I like that kind of player, but just because I feel awful for him, I'm really hoping he does something to show the Rangers he's worth carrying on the big club this fall. Or fuck it, even show them something to show that he belongs in the NHL, even if it isn't with this team. Maybe they see enough out of him to trade him somewhere where his skill set is more in line, like Anaheim?
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

LET'S GO RANGERS! Pee-Wee Division Gorilla Salad's Avatar
    Training camp next year could be pretty interesting.

I'm pulling for McIlrath as well.

The Dolphin Whisperer BSBH Rookie
    It will be very interesting considering there's no room at the inn, unless we buyout/trade Boyle, trade Klein, or not re-sign Hunwick as 7th D.

Quote Originally Posted by Morphinity View Post
    It will be very interesting considering there's no room at the inn, unless we buyout/trade Boyle, trade Klein, or not re-sign Hunwick as 7th D.
    Can we give Yandel back to Phoenix along with a bag of pucks, a 50% off coupon to Bed Bath and Beyond and our thanks for nothing?

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    "The other defenseman Rangers fans clamour over is Dylan McIlrath. Where do you see his game right now?"

I don't know about you guys but I'm not clamouring. Dunno if I can believe that assessment of McIlrath. Haven't seen him play in Hartford but it's hard to believe that this isnt the typical prospect hype we always hear.

Quote Originally Posted by So Nashty View Post
    "The other defenseman Rangers fans clamour over is Dylan McIlrath. Where do you see his game right now?"

I don't know about you guys but I'm not clamouring. Dunno if I can believe that assessment of McIlrath. Haven't seen him play in Hartford but it's hard to believe that this isnt the typical prospect hype we always hear.
    Well, yea, it's BSU, so it's a fluff piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Well, yea, it's BSU, so it's a fluff piece.
    Even if it was from another source, what's the coach going to say? "he sucks, hasn't progressed as hopped" etc? If he's not going to make it here at least fluff up his trade value as much as possible. While it's nice to hear updates on players, I take it with a grain of salt. You're never going to get a 100% honest opinion or evaluation from your own coach or team.

In Vigneault, Veritas BSBH Prospect
    At this point, you kind of hope that McIlrath can just be a punishing crease clearer who doesn't take dumb penalties.

You're not thrilled with it given who went after him, but given the makeup of our team, we can probably use that.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

What is a "crease clearer?" That position doesn't exist anymore. All defensemen have the responsibility to stand their ground around the crease, but you can't just abuse and obliterate a guy in the crease like you used to be able to.

Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    At this point, you kind of hope that McIlrath can just be a punishing crease clearer who doesn't take dumb penalties.

You're not thrilled with it given who went after him, but given the makeup of our team, we can probably use that.
    I disagree. I think at this point—five years since his draft calling, six by the start of next season—you just hope he can give the Rangers mistake-free minutes. His scouting report positives read that he still has "tremendous shutdown potential and is at his best when he plays it simple and safe". Well, I don't know about "tremendous", but if he can give you shutdown minutes and give you simple and safe hockey, he has a place on my team, especially with a current third pairing of Boyle and Yandle. What a nightmare.

Hunwick will probably be brought back as a seventh again, so the best you can hope for is that McIlrath can make the team's third pairing to pair up with Yandle going into next season.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Former Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphinity View Post
    What is a "crease clearer?" That position doesn't exist anymore. All defensemen have the responsibility to stand their ground around the crease, but you can't just abuse and obliterate a guy in the crease like you used to be able to.
    At this point I'm hoping he develops to be a better version of Tim Gleason/worse version of Brooks Orpik.

Quote Originally Posted by Cash or Czech? View Post
    At this point I'm hoping he develops to be a better version of Tim Gleason/worse version of Brooks Orpik.
    Orpik-lite is exactly what you should expect, IMO. Mostly mistake-free minutes, with some physical play. If the best he can be is Tim Gleason/Mike Komisarek, he's a lost cause. The only thing keeping Gleason in the league at this point is that he can actually skate (Komisarek never could).
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorilla Salad View Post
    Even if it was from another source, what's the coach going to say? "he sucks, hasn't progressed as hopped" etc? If he's not going to make it here at least fluff up his trade value as much as possible. While it's nice to hear updates on players, I take it with a grain of salt. You're never going to get a 100% honest opinion or evaluation from your own coach or team.
    Maybe, but I think the comment about him improving since Christmas is specific enough that there's something to it

Former Moderator BSBH Prospect
    I'd love for Orpik-lite. I'm expecting Gleason+.

Right now, I still see Mike Komisarek. But I'm really pulling for the guy.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

I mean, if you're starting your career as Tim Gleason, you're starting behind the 8 ball.

He's never going to make this team.

Quote Originally Posted by Rome 2.0 View Post
    Orpik-lite is exactly what you should expect, IMO. Mostly mistake-free minutes, with some physical play. If the best he can be is Tim Gleason/Mike Komisarek, he's a lost cause. The only thing keeping Gleason in the league at this point is that he can actually skate (Komisarek never could).
    Orpik came into the league as a pretty good skater, with good hands and passing skills (not that he was sending home runs, but he could make a play). All I see from McIlrath is throwing it off the glass and out. That really stifles offense, especially on AV teams.

He's not right for this team, no matter if he ever makes the show either.

Senior Member Bantam Division DiJock94's Avatar
    I would love if Skjei-Mcilrath could make our third line, would save us a ton of cap space

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast