• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Anyone Have Experience With Cortisone Shots?

Keirik

Have a back injury that involves a fracture in which the bone was displaced in my l5-s1 area (very lower spine). I'm scheduled to have a cortisone shot as it's been 2 months now with no significant improvement of pain. Was wondering if anyone has had one before and knows the pros and cons.

Iit could give you relief fairly quickly. The duration of pain relief, if it works, is variable. Some people are good after one for a week, some for months, some even longer. The negatives however are also pretty great, as it could do nothing, you may need another, and it may not last very long. You are also putting yourself at greater risk for arthritis.

How do you feel about getting it, comfort wise?

Iit could give you relief fairly quickly. The duration of pain relief, if it works, is variable. Some people are good after one for a week, some for months, some even longer. The negatives however are also pretty great, as it could do nothing, you may need another, and it may not last very long. You are also putting yourself at greater risk for arthritis.

How do you feel about getting it, comfort wise?

Im on the fence, especially since i have a bone relate injury so the shot wont actually "fix" the problem.

Yeah. It's a tough call, as it's likely a temporary fix no matter what. Is there a physical therapy plan along with it, or are they just giving you the injection and seeing what happens?

I did physical therapy for 6 weeks with no real improvement unfortunately.

Are you going to continue it after the shot?

It's a tough call to make, honestly. I know I'm very weary of them, especially since I'm a diabetic and they have a real affect on blood sugars. If you do get it, I would make it a one time thing. Like I said, arthritis is a real factor and it becomes more of an issue the more times you get it.

I had them in my back once for muscular pain, and they gave me a lot of relief. I'm not sure what your concerns are, I was so happy to have it because I was in such debilitating pain. I followed up with acupuncture, plus pain killers, which did give me relief, I'm just unclear as to what really fixed the issue.

I can still have it, I'm pretty sure it's stress related, could be something to do with a broken knee that I ended up walking around with for 15 years of my life unknowingly.

I had them in my back once for muscular pain, and they gave me a lot of relief. I'm not sure what your concerns are, I was so happy to have it because I was in such debilitating pain. I followed up with acupuncture, plus pain killers, which did give me relief, I'm just unclear as to what really fixed the issue.

I can still have it, I'm pretty sure it's stress related, could be something to do with a broken knee that I ended up walking around with for 15 years of my life unknowingly.

Well my concern is my problem is bone related rather than muscular related so any relief seems more like a mask of my actual problem rather than a solution. Im all for anything that might help so i thought id ask. Id just rather not numb the problem with the possibility of making it worse in the long run.

Well my concern is my problem is bone related rather than muscular related so any relief seems more like a mask of my actual problem rather than a solution. Im all for anything that might help so i thought id ask. Id just rather not numb the problem with the possibility of making it worse in the long run.

as far as I'm aware the cortisone shot is a direct shot to the inflammation that is caused by the source. I'm not sure it'll be a detriment to the diagnosis by relieving some pain, especially in the back. Also the source of the back problem makes you use your back in ways you never would have exacerbating the problem. The pain relief helps you act normal thus not straining your muscles in any way.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived